Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are Clubs a Cartel?

My son plays on an 03 team for one of the better known clubs in Mass. He's been with this club for three years and was with another club before that. I find the club to be run like a business, nothing more. Kids whose parents were unhappy and about to leave were able to stay on NPL, while kids who were better players (but didn't threaten to leave) were relegated to NEP. They were not financial priorities.

Meanwhile, my son goes to a very athletically focused private high school and the soccer program is absolutely first rate. Among the best on Massachusetts.

So the question is simple: If he wants to play in college, are we completely stuck being part of this club cartel? Every time I complain about our club and talk to parents in other clubs they say the same things -- these organizations all seem to be the same.

I'd love to think that he could go to some ID camps at target colleges and get noticed, but I'm worried that we have the play the club game whether we want to or not.

Wisdom from the crowd is welcome . . .

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    My son plays on an 03 team for one of the better known clubs in Mass. He's been with this club for three years and was with another club before that. I find the club to be run like a business, nothing more. Kids whose parents were unhappy and about to leave were able to stay on NPL, while kids who were better players (but didn't threaten to leave) were relegated to NEP. They were not financial priorities.

Meanwhile, my son goes to a very athletically focused private high school and the soccer program is absolutely first rate. Among the best on Massachusetts.

So the question is simple: If he wants to play in college, are we completely stuck being part of this club cartel? Every time I complain about our club and talk to parents in other clubs they say the same things -- these organizations all seem to be the same.

I'd love to think that he could go to some ID camps at target colleges and get noticed, but I'm worried that we have the play the club game whether we want to or not.

It sounds like you have time and means, so I'm sure your player will be just time .

Comment

I have 2 son's in prep school. Does your son's school go to the prep jamboree in September? Because there are tons of college coaches there, and my older son was approached by the coach of a school he's interested in (which is not how anyone says this is supposed to go!). That son does not play club soccer.

I suppose you need to do 2 things: keep skills up and keep improving, and get seen by college coaches. Can you do that without club?

Comment

It sounds like you have time and means, so I'm sure your player will be just time .
        Yes, I'm fortunate that money is not an issue. My deficiency is that this is my oldest kid and I just don't know the lay of the land.

Comment

I have 2 son's in prep school. Does your son's school go to the prep jamboree in September? Because there are tons of college coaches there, and my older son was approached by the coach of a school he's interested in (which is not how anyone says this is supposed to go!). That son does not play club soccer.

I suppose you need to do 2 things: keep skills up and keep improving, and get seen by college coaches. Can you do that without club?
          I have not heard of this. Sounds intriguing. Do kids go with their high school teams or is it open to individual players who just happen to be from prep schools?

Comment

Yes, I'm fortunate that money is not an issue. My deficiency is that this is my oldest kid and I just don't know the lay of the land.
            Your kid has been with current club for 3 years and another club before that. And you don't know "the lay of the land"? You need a much better writing fiction course and nothing else.

Comment

I have not heard of this. Sounds intriguing. Do kids go with their high school teams or is it open to individual players who just happen to be from prep schools?
              School teams only.

College coaches also attend the New England finals; and there are coaches at regular season games too. So prep school can be an alternative route; I don't know about the day school scene (clearly!).

There's a club for prep kids that has a very different model from regular club soccer called Black Rock. You would have to be in its geographic area, and it is invitation only (no open tryouts).

Comment

Because there are tons of college coaches there, and my older son was approached by the coach of a school he's interested in (which is not how anyone says this is supposed to go!).
                Sounds like an NCAA violation.

Comment

Sadly you're in trouble if he can't make NPL. DA would be you best bet.

Comment

Sadly you're in trouble if he can't make NPL. DA would be you best bet.
                    You've seized on the most salient point. Clubs will put NEP-quality players on NPL and NPL-quality players on NEP if it serves their financial interest. If a kid's parents hint at leaving the club they will retain an NPL position -- regardless of talent. If a kid appears mostly content, he could get moved down to NEP because it's the same revenue stream for the club.

I'm fine with a true meritocracy, but this is a model that's all about retention of paying customers.

Comment

You've seized on the most salient point. Clubs will put NEP-quality players on NPL and NPL-quality players on NEP if it serves their financial interest. If a kid's parents hint at leaving the club they will retain an NPL position -- regardless of talent. If a kid appears mostly content, he could get moved down to NEP because it's the same revenue stream for the club.

I'm fine with a true meritocracy, but this is a model that's all about retention of paying customers.
                      You mean a meritocracy for the mediocre players who will never play in college, right? These "cartels" (a little over the top don't ya think?) actually will let their studs play for free on their top level teams. Getting dumped to a lower level should be a signal to you of more than cartel greed. Also be prepared that at your top prep school with the great soccer program your kid will never go further than a pine grabber on the JV squad.

Comment

. Kids whose parents were unhappy and about to leave were able to stay on NPL, while kids who were better players (but didn't threaten to leave) were relegated to NEP.
                        If a player is relegated to NEP from NPL for any reason they are not talented enough to succeed at the college level. Top NPL players move on to college and ride the bench. Threaten to leave. You'll see the error in your theory.

Comment

Sounds like an NCAA violation.
                          You didn't read carefully. I said it was my older son, who is a senior. No violation there.

Comment

Agree that often the squeaky wheel (parent) gets to keep their kid on the top team over similar or even slightly better players. But. These clubs also live and die by their records, and they want to win. So ultimately talent will rise to the top. Your kid may have to be patient, and work extra hard, but if they are really talented it will be recognized.

Comment

What a load of crap. If they had the potential to be good they would already be discovered. The little engine that could stuff is just a ploy to pry money from parents.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X