Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    The number of kids who get "athletic funds" for their participation in college soccer is definitely under 40. Soccer might help with admission to Wesleyan but they aren't offsetting the costs for you.
    Approximately 25,000 CT High School graduates enroll in College every year.
    78 % receive some sort of financial aid.

Comment

The number of kids who get "athletic funds" for their participation in college soccer is definitely under 40. Soccer might help with admission to Wesleyan but they aren't offsetting the costs for you.
      Can only speak from my experience
      D-3 school admission just based on grades $18k off
      Same kid same school with soccer- $27k off
      So coaches do have some pull if they want the kid

Comment

Not for nothing, but just playing NPL or ECNL doesn't mean "you're the best and get the opportunity to play in college".

My D's team just came back from a tourney where they beat an NPL team and tied an ECNL team in regular play and lost in PK's. My D's team doesn't play NPL or ECNL, and isn't even the strongest team in their NEP Premiership division.

Not saying those teams were junk, nor am I saying my D's team is the best. Rather, there is a lot of crossover between the top of one league and the bottom/middle of another.
        If you are just getting back from a tournament, I think its safe to assume that you are probably the proud father of a middle school player.

ECNL is a high school aged program. Here in CT, CFC calls teams at young as u13 ECNL but the reality is that those teams don't really start to take shape until u14 and U15.

There are definitely players at some second tier clubs in CT that would make and contribute on the top teams. The difference between the OW/CFCU teams at 16 and up and everyone is massive. The top few teams benefit from attracting and aggregating talent from around the state. I'm not suggesting that they have everyone but the overwhelming majority of top end talent in CT ends up on 2 or 3 club teams.

Also, for what its worth I agree with you as it relates to NPL teams. None of the CT NPL teams are very strong and would definitely be on par with teams in the NE Premiership. Its a numbers game. No club around here is deep enough to field 40 quality players at any one age group.

Comment

If you are just getting back from a tournament, I think its safe to assume that you are probably the proud father of a middle school player.

ECNL is a high school aged program. Here in CT, CFC calls teams at young as u13 ECNL but the reality is that those teams don't really start to take shape until u14 and U15.

There are definitely players at some second tier clubs in CT that would make and contribute on the top teams. The difference between the OW/CFCU teams at 16 and up and everyone is massive. The top few teams benefit from attracting and aggregating talent from around the state. I'm not suggesting that they have everyone but the overwhelming majority of top end talent in CT ends up on 2 or 3 club teams.

Also, for what its worth I agree with you as it relates to NPL teams. None of the CT NPL teams are very strong and would definitely be on par with teams in the NE Premiership. Its a numbers game. No club around here is deep enough to field 40 quality players at any one age group.
          U12 parents know **everything**

Comment

Technically there is no "athletic funds" at the D3level but there certainly are funds for athletes at the D3 level

Comment

Approximately 25,000 CT High School graduates enroll in College every year.
              78 % receive some sort of financial aid.
              Soccer has nothing to do with this. Most middle class families receive financial aid.

Comment

Soccer has nothing to do with this. Most middle class families receive financial aid.
                And financial aid has formulas. You don't get extra for a sport; you get FA based on family income. What you can get is merit $. Take some FA and some merit $ and often it's well past what you would get with athletic $ in D1 (some D1 programs do this as well when there's little athletic money to dole out). All of that is good for 4 years (assuming your income doesn't change and your maintain your GPA). Athletic money in most programs is subject to annual review

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                Working...
                X