X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I'm the OP you responded to:

If people want a realistic idea then it's incumbent on them to do their own research and have very detailed and honest conversations. The information is there if you want to find it. My DD is just beginning this process. I can tell you we wil not rely on info from this site or from general conversations with other parents.

We will be doing our own homework. We will seek the information ourselves, from the sources themselves. And so what if little Suzie brags about going off to school to play at the next level? It's an accomplishment worth bragging about! The details of Suzies financial package is of no business to anyone else because it may work for them. It may not work for you and your situation, but that's life. If your DD is better she may get more, if she not, she may get less; that's how life works.

I don't rely on our club for any information, or Kool aid, as you put it. Any information has to be vetted. I can agree, only fools would do that.
    No problem with bragging about where a girl gets in to play soccer. That's an accomplishment even if it's JC. On the other hand, I won't pretend mine got a free ride if she doesn't. I will be happy to let those in the club with younger players know the ballpark of athletic aid given. I see too many parents spending their dd's college funds on expensive soccer, thinking they are going to get a full ride because their little Suzie is as good as Big Suzie. Any girl that gets to play in college should be proud (unless their grades suffered). Playing in college is the accomplishment no matter if they get zero athletic aid. Don't understand parents that want everyone to believe their dd got a full ride or tons on athletic money when they didn't.

Comment

That is crazy if someone would spend that much for soccer. I am glad our ECNL team spent about $5,500 freshman year, $7,000 sophomore and junior year, and spent about $4,000. Got 21 kids with offers, more than $2,000,000 in athletic/merit aid.

How much athletic aid, I mean how much merit aid did the Thorns get?
      locker room tours are priceless. The inspiration, the sweat and the pile of jerseys

Comment

No problem with bragging about where a girl gets in to play soccer. That's an accomplishment even if it's JC. On the other hand, I won't pretend mine got a free ride if she doesn't. I will be happy to let those in the club with younger players know the ballpark of athletic aid given. I see too many parents spending their dd's college funds on expensive soccer, thinking they are going to get a full ride because their little Suzie is as good as Big Suzie. Any girl that gets to play in college should be proud (unless their grades suffered). Playing in college is the accomplishment no matter if they get zero athletic aid. Don't understand parents that want everyone to believe their dd got a full ride or tons on athletic money when they didn't.
        If a parents(s) boast about getting a full ride when it's not true, then that's on them. If you're a parent who relies on what they say, then you're a fool. As I mentioned, it's up to the parents to be diligent and do their homework about the realities of scholarship/aid money there is available and how that impacts their choice of schools. I'm glad you would choose to be honest, but I still wouldn't put much stock in what you had to say because our DD's could be in very different situations, therefore any comparisons regarding money/aid would be useless.

Also, Please dispense with the concern about how parents spend their money on "expensive soccer". If They choose to-great! If you don't- that's great too. And how do you know parents are wasting their kids college fund? Perhaps they simply have enough disposable income that they can afford to.

Stop this nonsense about be worried about what everyone else is doing. Focus on your DD.

Comment

Better be careful bragging about that. If it's true, there goes her NCAA eligibility.
          I believe they were highlighting the amount of money the Thorns Academy (DA) is spending on their DD,(which is a huge amount) not bragging, since they (DA) are spending this much on every player in the Portland Thorns DA. It's well known and approved by the NCAA. Don't think they were talking about scholarships for college athletic aid since the Thorns DA is not a university.

Comment

Typical Athletic D1 scholarships in PAC 12 and other major conferences
            Elite (1-2 per team) 100% with book paid for and other perks
            Tier 1: (2-4 per team) 50 - 75% with books paid for and other perks
            Tier 2: (5-10 per team) 25-50% with books paid for and other perks
            Tier 3: (10-20 per team) 10 - 25% with books paid for and other perks
            Walk on : Other perks

Even with zero scholarship there are perks like free food and a sense of community. Players should not be playing ECNL or academy for the hope of a scholarship alone. They should be playing because they love the game. Anyone that plays soccer in college gets the athlete experience which can be fun. Depending on the situation it can also be frustrating, stressful and deflating.
            The way a program hands out it's athletic aid varies greatly, many don't even have the full allotment allowed of 14 scholarships. PSU has like 40K to spread out between 24 girls. Every D1 program is different after reviewing the NCAA reported data on aid distribution for this equivalency sport their is no formula, let's just say it's all over the board.

With that said, selling the idea that playing 'x' league is the pathway to college for the local Oregon HS player is actually hilarious based on the amount of aid given to Oregonian girls who come from 'x' league. It has no statistical significance yet with just 3 years of data available. Playing soccer someplace is important for Oregon Girls, for sure. The league choice is not statistically relevant at this time in Oregon. Club choice did show some statistical relevance in terms of the amount of aid, but that has nothing to do with the 'clubs' league choice, expect for the small losses of athletic aid, in moving from the USYS to US Club leagues, which has been documented already.

Moving to the future the DA will end up being the place to play for the majority of college bound student athletes. With that said, it's still meaningless to our marketplace and playing level just like the 'x' league has been a non starter.

Can't change what we produce based on a league affiliation, wish it were that easy and simple.

Comment

Typical Athletic D1 scholarships in PAC 12 and other major conferences
              Elite (1-2 per team) 100% with book paid for and other perks
              Tier 1: (2-4 per team) 50 - 75% with books paid for and other perks
              Tier 2: (5-10 per team) 25-50% with books paid for and other perks
              Tier 3: (10-20 per team) 10 - 25% with books paid for and other perks
              Walk on : Other perks

Even with zero scholarship there are perks like free food and a sense of community. Players should not be playing ECNL or academy for the hope of a scholarship alone. They should be playing because they love the game. Anyone that plays soccer in college gets the athlete experience which can be fun. Depending on the situation it can also be frustrating, stressful and deflating.
              Play for the love of the game, not for any athletic money because there isn't much at all for Oregon girls. There is a lot of merit aid so concentrate on top grades, AP classes & top SAT/ACT scores and you won't pay much for college even if you don't get any athletic scholarship money.

Comment

Believe the stats & assume top D1 bound girls are getting 0-25% athletic scholarship. Don't believe the parents pretending full rides. Be happy they are playing D1. That's rare enough in Oregon.

Comment

Believe the stats & assume top D1 bound girls are getting 0-25% athletic scholarship. Don't believe the parents pretending full rides. Be happy they are playing D1. That's rare enough in Oregon.
                  lol. just stop. I know of 10 D1 athletes and each one is getting more than 25% athletic. You sound like an idiot.

Comment

lol. just stop. I know of 10 D1 athletes and each one is getting more than 25% athletic. You sound like an idiot.
                    They all play American Football and they get 100% full rides, I know at least 100 of them.

If you aren't talking about the gridiron studs, please list the graduating class year, HS, club and current college & class- that is gifting them 25% athletic aid. Include the first and last name as well.

Change the narrative with some facts.

Comment

The few Pac12 recruits from Oregon that I know are getting from books to about 20%athletic. Much more in academic aid. All are exceptional players.

Comment

The few Pac12 recruits from Oregon that I know are getting from books to about 20%athletic. Much more in academic aid. All are exceptional players.
                        That's Pac12. With close to 350 D1 Women's soccer programs I'm sure some local girls can manage more with the likes of North Dakota, NM State, Idaho State & Portland state - all ranked in the bottom 50.

Comment

That's Pac12. With close to 350 D1 Women's soccer programs I'm sure some local girls can manage more with the likes of North Dakota, NM State, Idaho State & Portland state - all ranked in the bottom 50.
                          You are the only person obsessed with young people. Very creepy.

Doesn't matter where a program is ranked.

College education, playing soccer and enjoying life. Life is good.

Comment

Same here.

Comment

Better yet, pick the best college fit for your dd f**k the ranking. No one gives a crap about girls soccer.

Comment

Better yet, pick the best college fit for your dd f**k the ranking. No one gives a crap about girls soccer.
                                Yet there you are giving your two cents about women's soccer.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X