Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Flew 3000 miles + one way to play (1) game vs another bottom feeder team in the league @ PDA (NJ) showcase today. CU won 7-0. We could never do this in Oregon vs local teams. Glad we did it.
    Traveling 3k milies and 1k$ later. We've discovered that we have to travel this far to find teams that we can't actually score goals on. Considering we'd probably get beat by 2-3 teams in state we wouldn't want anyone to question the elite part on our patch.

Comment

Traveling 3k milies and 1k$ later. We've discovered that we have to travel this far to find teams that we can't actually score goals on. Considering we'd probably get beat by 2-3 teams in state we wouldn't want anyone to question the elite part on our patch.
      Traveling 3k miles to play another bad team is a joke.

Not playing players for the sake of going 2-9 vs 1-10 is a joke.

Comment

Traveling 3k miles to play another bad team is a joke.

Not playing players for the sake of going 2-9 vs 1-10 is a joke.
        Well go join thorns academy like the other bench warmers did. Sorry you don't understand that in competitive soccer, playing time is earned, not given. I'm sure your DD's college coach won't mind your weekly emails questioning coaching strategy and why the coaches don't see little Susie's potential.

Comment

Well go join thorns academy like the other bench warmers did. Sorry you don't understand that in competitive soccer, playing time is earned, not given. I'm sure your DD's college coach won't mind your weekly emails questioning coaching strategy and why the coaches don't see little Susie's potential.
          Smart bench warmers will leave a team for better opportunities. For this reason, elite pay-to-play pathways with large rosters will always have a lot of turnover. Even subsidized Thorns Academy will have some turnover. This is natural. You won't get better if you don't play in games.

Comment

Smart bench warmers will leave a team for better opportunities. For this reason, elite pay-to-play pathways with large rosters will always have a lot of turnover. Even subsidized Thorns Academy will have some turnover. This is natural. You won't get better if you don't play in games.
            And smart parents realize that when their kid isn't getting as much playing time as others, it's not because of politics or bias or coaching incompetence. Smart parents teach their players to take responsibility for their own soccer journey and to challenge themselves to get better and contribute meaningfully to the team they are with.

Comment

And smart parents realize that when their kid isn't getting as much playing time as others, it's not because of politics or bias or coaching incompetence. Smart parents teach their players to take responsibility for their own soccer journey and to challenge themselves to get better and contribute meaningfully to the team they are with.
              Mostly agree. However, soccer is a very subjective sport. Often one coach's favorite, sits the bench half the game for a different coach on the exact same team. That said, the head coach is the boss. Sometimes it works best to stay where you are and work hard to get more playing time. Sometimes switching to a team where the coach will give you more playing opportunities & confidence works best. Coaches are the bosses but coaches make mistakes identifying talent all the time - even in the pros! Bottom line is kids need to play to get better. Don't be bitter or waste time playing the blame game. Just help your dd find a coach that sees promise in her and then it's up to her to work her tail off to continue to improve.

Comment

Flew 3000 miles + one way to play (1) game vs another bottom feeder team in the league @ PDA (NJ) showcase today. CU won 7-0. We could never do this in Oregon vs local teams. Glad we did it.
                Since you're obviously following New Jersey results this weekend here's something to ponder. You posted about the bottom feeding CU 01 team winning 7-0. This same bottom feeding team beat current the ECNL/future academy Seattle Reign last weekend. It might be lousy to be a bottom feeder...but it's worse to lose to a bottom feeder.

But results of one game don't mean much right? Unless there's a pattern or shared opponents to compare results? Tune into New Jersey tomorrow because the Reign play the bottom feeder that CU beat 7-0 yesterday. Will they blow them out in similar fashion? And what does it mean for the GDA vs ECNL argument when lowly bottom feeder CU beats the only academy team they played this year?

Comment

Since you're obviously following New Jersey results this weekend here's something to ponder. You posted about the bottom feeding CU 01 team winning 7-0. This same bottom feeding team beat current the ECNL/future academy Seattle Reign last weekend. It might be lousy to be a bottom feeder...but it's worse to lose to a bottom feeder.

But results of one game don't mean much right? Unless there's a pattern or shared opponents to compare results? Tune into New Jersey tomorrow because the Reign play the bottom feeder that CU beat 7-0 yesterday. Will they blow them out in similar fashion? And what does it mean for the GDA vs ECNL argument when lowly bottom feeder CU beats the only academy team they played this year?
                  Spin away foolish one, this is an isolated extreme example of stupidity, spending thousands to play 1 game vs. garbage opponent across the country. That's it. A horrible and costly error in judgement. Hopefully this won't happen again to our team & club. But, in the end it was our decision.

Comment

"Development"

At some point people will realize that soccer is about competition. Nobody at ECNL, DA, or a any number of local clubs out there care about winning soccer games. It's about "development". Not sure when kids are supposed to start playing competitive soccer. Maybe it's when they hit the 50+ league at Rose City. It's always acceptable to suck when it's just about "development".

Comment

Today we played a team that hasn't won a game in 15 tries from Indiana @ PDA showcase. We won 2-0 it's worth it.

Comment

Today we played a team that hasn't won a game in 15 tries from Indiana @ PDA showcase. We won 2-0 it's worth it.
                        Yesterday we played a team that hadn't won in 16 tries.

At least we are keeping a 30 game streak without a win intact for the two teams. ECNL Strong.

Comment

It mean the ECNL >>>>> GDA. Pretty simple.

Comment

This is actually getting interesting. The lowly CU u16's won again today - beating a GDA team 2/0. It's getting harder and harder to argue that the quality of GDA will be higher than ECNL. Not an ECNL or GDA parent, but I may be in the future as I have a talented and motivated ULittle. If I had to decide today I sure wouldn't opt for GDA. Luckily I can afford either option, and luckily I don't have to decide for a few more years.

Comment

This is actually getting interesting. The lowly CU u16's won again today - beating a GDA team 2/0. It's getting harder and harder to argue that the quality of GDA will be higher than ECNL. Not an ECNL or GDA parent, but I may be in the future as I have a talented and motivated ULittle. If I had to decide today I sure wouldn't opt for GDA. Luckily I can afford either option, and luckily I don't have to decide for a few more years.
                              I spent some time trying to watch the quality at the Friendship Cup and was not impressed. I think the only age that truly consolidated talent is Onyx and all other ages have talent spread out

Comment

I spent some time trying to watch the quality at the Friendship Cup and was not impressed. I think the only age that truly consolidated talent is Onyx and all other ages have talent spread out
                                I tend to agree. But right now there's a huge battle for title of the Best in the Nation. ECNL is fighting to stay relevant and GDA is fighting for a monopoly. The opportunities to see ECNL and GDA go head to head are few and far between. I wonder why Friendship Cup doesn't invite some ECNL teams. Afraid to be embarrassed? Or did they invite them and ECNL teams (not all are in New Jersey it seems) declined? Whatever the answer it seems we will have to settle for these random matchups as a measure of which is top of the Oregon heap.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X