Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    There's nothing binding in this announcement. Watch how many NEFC teams actually play in the GPS tournament. You can say you have all the teams in the world but you need fields to play on. Needham has the fields locked up. 90% of the clubs will go with Needham.
    I think you will be surprised how many go with GPS, within 3 years, Needham will be a town event only.

Comment

I think NEFC is banking on a DAP appointment, but that does seem unlikely.
      If by unlikely you mean it's never going to happen then you are correct.

NEFC isn't even the 2nd or 3rd choice for boys after U12.

Revs DAP = #1
      Bolts DAP = #2
      Valeo = #3
      GPS = #4
      NEFC = #5

Comment

I think you will be surprised how many go with GPS, within 3 years, Needham will be a town event only.
        Keep telling yourself that. See you in Needham next May.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
          You really don't get it. The other clubs are smart to lay low and work hard on developing kids and working with communities rather than promoting and taking on everyone else on TS.

Comment

You really don't get it. The other clubs are smart to lay low and work hard on developing kids and working with communities rather than promoting and taking on everyone else on TS.
            The Needham Tournament works and it has for years. Thousands of teams and thousands of games all orchestrated at a pretty remarkable level.
            Why would GPS want to diminish the success of a great local soccer event? I realize the answer is money, but they should stop and consider their motives. Chasing the almighty buck may build resentment towards the club. I sense from reading the posts on here that it already has.
            Just leave the Needham Tournament alone and host your tournaments on every other weekend. GPS doesn't need to have their hands in everybody's pockets.

Comment

The Needham Tournament works and it has for years. Thousands of teams and thousands of games all orchestrated at a pretty remarkable level.
              Why would GPS want to diminish the success of a great local soccer event? I realize the answer is money, but they should stop and consider their motives. Chasing the almighty buck may build resentment towards the club. I sense from reading the posts on here that it already has.
              Just leave the Needham Tournament alone and host your tournaments on every other weekend. GPS doesn't need to have their hands in everybody's pockets.
              Why? Who made you the keeper of tournament schedule? There's tournaments virtually every weekend, which ones' are OK to schedule against, and which one's aren't? Who makes that determination...you?

It's a free country, and free enterprise. They can do what they want. Nobody is forcing you to attend anything. If your club chooses to go with a GPS tournament, and your panties are tied in a knot, don't go. Pull your kid and tell the club you don't like it, and are making a stand.

As for resentment of GPS, doesn't matter what they do. They will always be resented on here. People hate corporations making money (as they drive to work in a Honda, type on a Dell, text to the Mrs. on the iPhone, drinking Dunkins coffee, going to the 99 for lunch, and stopping by Hannaford's to pick up dinner on the way home)...

(Not a GPS-parent/coach/administrator)

Comment

It's basically what they did on the girls side but with the Revs on the boys side. They know they aren't relevant after U12 for the boys because the best players move on to DAP. All of their best boys want to leave.

NEFC won't be getting a full DAP appointment so they sold out to the Revs. They basically pay a fee, get to use the Revs logo in marketing, and tout themselves as a Revs "alliance" club. That basically means the Revs may or may not cherry pick their best talent. Essentially it will downgrade the quality of NEFC teams from U13 and above because the impact players will be snatched up by Revs. They've let the fox in the hen house.
                Thanks for the info. I've scratched my head several times about why they got into bed with breakers. I just can't see why the partnership happened. If I own nefc I would never do it.
                There is no upside for nefc that I can see.

On the boys side I can't speak much but I probably would try my hardest to retain those top players they let leave to revs by matching the revs free offer. In honest opinion have the revs produced any boys to stay and be successful in their MLS ?

It would seem that the sales department at nefc failed and now has an uphill battle in the next few years. I've also heard that nefc coaches will have nothing to say about picking the teams next year. Only breakers will shuffle accademy girls in ecnl and girls accademy program.

Comment

$$$

so i dont have kids any any of these bigger clubs, but typically these decisions are purely business in nature i would think. Clubs make good money from these tournaments, so if they have some sort of reciprocity agreement where they send large numbers of teams to each others tournaments, it helps promote their tournaments as the tourney to be at, with the best teams, etc. Not sure if this is accurate, but you have seen the "advertising" in their emails like "over 200 teams accepted", etc so they are using this as part of their marketing effort. whether or not this means their best teams are there and you will get the highest level of competition available is totally another question.
                  This is spot on. Forget all the talk here about the "soccer" reasons why this should/not happen. This is in all likelihood a mutually beneficial agreement where the long term goal is to make each other's respective tournements more "Great" or whatever superlative you want to use so they can attract as many teams as possible now and in the future. Tournaments are still a growth area for these clubs.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I've scratched my head several times about why they got into bed with breakers. I just can't see why the partnership happened. If I own nefc I would never do it.
                    There is no upside for nefc that I can see.

On the boys side I can't speak much but I probably would try my hardest to retain those top players they let leave to revs by matching the revs free offer. In honest opinion have the revs produced any boys to stay and be successful in their MLS ?

It would seem that the sales department at nefc failed and now has an uphill battle in the next few years. I've also heard that nefc coaches will have nothing to say about picking the teams next year. Only breakers will shuffle accademy girls in ecnl and girls accademy program.
                    Thanks for the concern Fred but we'll be ok

Comment

Why? Who made you the keeper of tournament schedule? There's tournaments virtually every weekend, which ones' are OK to schedule against, and which one's aren't? Who makes that determination...you?

It's a free country, and free enterprise. They can do what they want. Nobody is forcing you to attend anything. If your club chooses to go with a GPS tournament, and your panties are tied in a knot, don't go. Pull your kid and tell the club you don't like it, and are making a stand.

As for resentment of GPS, doesn't matter what they do. They will always be resented on here. People hate corporations making money (as they drive to work in a Honda, type on a Dell, text to the Mrs. on the iPhone, drinking Dunkins coffee, going to the 99 for lunch, and stopping by Hannaford's to pick up dinner on the way home)...

(Not a GPS-parent/coach/administrator)
                      Bradleys are about cash flow. And that is it. Always has been, always will be.

Comment

So? How is that relevant?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                          Thanks for the concern Fred but we'll be ok
                          How does Fred end up in this thread? If he weren't so despicable, I'd feel sorry for the guy. I'm pretty sure Fred is not posting about any Needham tournament, but it is good to see that JB is online.

Comment

It is all about money and perception. GPS probably gave NEFC a break on cost to use their name to attract better quality teams. The problem is we all know their Boston Breakers ECNL teams will be at PDA and their strong NPL teams will be at PDA most likely also, because that is where all the top college coaches are this time of the year. To me this is just a smoke and mirrors by the Hamilton brothers to make James look good in the eyes of the Bradley's.

Comment

Kids love the new Bayern kits.

Parents hate the new Bayern kits because they're being fleeced.

GPS uses children to squeeze money out of parents.

Welcome to the GPS way, coming soon to a tournament near you.

Comment

Kids love the new Bayern kits.

Parents hate the new Bayern kits because they're being fleeced.

GPS uses children to squeeze money out of parents.

Welcome to the GPS way, coming soon to a tournament near you.
                                Wait, a kid being excited about their new kit is a bad thing? Since when? I've always been excited for uni-hand-out day, no matter what the sport was.

What parent hates the kit?

Do you honestly think the kit saying "Bayern" means anything? We don't even follow Bayern or the Bundesliga, more of a La Liga and Premier League fans ourselves.

Seriously, at least TRY to make a realistic comment.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X