Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    This is silly- no college soccer team program is profitable. And the suggestions that the teams are taking more players than they need and them cutting them to earn tuition for the school just proves that people love conspiracy theories.
    So why do low level Div. 1 schools offer partial scholarships? Same reason why schools offer merit aid, to get you in the door. Coaches are an extension of the Admissions Office in trying to recruit students to go to their school. Granted the coaches want to recruit good players to help the team win and keep their job, but the primary objective is tuition payments to the school. For Div. 3, coaches have to be even more aggressive in recruiting because they have less ammo to offer.

Comment

I guess I've never encountered these "low level" schools you're talking about. In my experience, D1 coaches offer partial scholarships because of the limit on number of scholarships set by the NCAA, Title IX, and maybe the school itself, and they spend a lot of energy trying to put together the best team they can working within those limits (and for boys in particular, those limits can be really tight). If the coach could give out 30 full rides then they'd be thrilled.

I guess you're talking about schools that can't otherwise fill the seats, and as I think about it, what you're saying makes sense. Really devious- have fun playing for that coach- but I guess I'm lucky to have never encountered that tier of school/person.

Comment

Take off your BC/Boston metro goggles for awhile. Go to games at smaller schools in less populated areas (and there are many of those schools out there). They're patting themselves on the back if there's 350 people in the stands
        Don't know how low a program you are talking about but here's quote I quickly found

Portland's attendance supremacy: One of the quietest but most complete dynasties in sports is the University of Portland's reign as national attendance leaders in women's soccer. The Pilots again led the nation with an average crowd of 2,971 in 2014, the 10th consecutive season in which they held down the top spot. Yet for the second season in a row, Portland's average fell below 3,000 fans. Coupled with steady support at Texas A&M and BYU, among the top five in attendance almost every season, and surges from South Carolina and Louisville, that seems to put the title in play. All five schools averaged more than 2,000 fans per game (although Portland's rates are the most expensive, particularly at the upper end, ticket prices at all five schools are comparable)

Comment

This is silly- no college soccer team program is profitable. And the suggestions that the teams are taking more players than they need and them cutting them to earn tuition for the school just proves that people love conspiracy theories.
          Once again, if they were even attempting to break even don't you think most college programs would charge admission to the games. What part of any D1 program worth their salt is making money off either basketball or football and need to spend it because they are a non profit entity don't people like you get?

Comment

So why do low level Div. 1 schools offer partial scholarships? Same reason why schools offer merit aid, to get you in the door. Coaches are an extension of the Admissions Office in trying to recruit students to go to their school. Granted the coaches want to recruit good players to help the team win and keep their job, but the primary objective is tuition payments to the school. For Div. 3, coaches have to be even more aggressive in recruiting because they have less ammo to offer.
            Wow, once again showing your complete ignorance. It's a shame you pollute this site with your foolishness 24/7. The reason why all men's and women's soccer programs give partial scholarships is because it is an E-Q-U-I-V-A-L-E-N-C-Y sport instead of a H-E-A-D C-O-U-N-T sport. Suggest you use Google to learn the difference. Has nothing to do with admissions or recruiting students at all. D3 is a completely different animal than D1 and your logic is out right dangerous for anyone foolish enough to even consider listening to you.

Comment

Wow, once again showing your complete ignorance. It's a shame you pollute this site with your foolishness 24/7. The reason why all men's and women's soccer programs give partial scholarships is because it is an E-Q-U-I-V-A-L-E-N-C-Y sport instead of a H-E-A-D C-O-U-N-T sport. Suggest you use Google to learn the difference. Has nothing to do with admissions or recruiting students at all. D3 is a completely different animal than D1 and your logic is out right dangerous for anyone foolish enough to even consider listening to you.
              Not sure who you think you are responding to but pretty sure you are 100% wrong.

I for one have no idea what that poster is trying to say. No one gives athletic aid as part of some institutional plan to facilitate increased tuition payments.

That said, your angry retort shows just how unraveled you are.

Comment

No, you are wrong.

They offer partials because they CAN, and because by spreading $ across more players they can build a deeper roster for their level of play. The studs that are playing "down" a level are obviously receiving more (the star keeper or forward, for example), and the $ can be moved around to weed out non-performing upperclassmen or pull in a transfer who's tired of sitting on the bench at a higher-RPI school.

It has nothing to do with helping out admissions or the school's revenue stream.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                  Thank you. One of very few sensible posts.

Comment

Not sure who you think you are responding to but pretty sure you are 100% wrong.

I for one have no idea what that poster is trying to say. No one gives athletic aid as part of some institutional plan to facilitate increased tuition payments.

That said, your angry retort shows just how unraveled you are.
                    Then you don't understand the situation either. The only reason colleges can give partial scholarship is because the NCAA classifies soccer as an equivalency sport meaning the allowed scholarships are split amongst the players on the roster. In a head count sport there are no partials so every athlete who is offered a scholarship gets a full ride. Fairly certain it's all or nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                      2,400 is how many tickets are sold or given out. And if they sell out, it's because people are coming to see opposing players.
                      Spot on. And sell out is not the word I'd use because I myself have been the recipient of comp tickets. I also agree with the poster who says no one attends the bc women's games. That's been our experience, too. The stands are never full. Bc basketball and football games? Those are well-attended.

Comment

Spot on. And sell out is not the word I'd use because I myself have been the recipient of comp tickets. I also agree with the poster who says no one attends the bc women's games. That's been our experience, too. The stands are never full. Bc basketball and football games? Those are well-attended.
                        Huge crowds at BC basketball

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...sBrWjcdboWd_JA

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        Working...
                        X