Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Your right many good players don't do it, but to say it "scrapes up b and c teamers" is a gross over exaggeration. If you look at the names on the current roster most if not all of them come from the top 4-5 teams in the state.
    Agree. I'm not that poster. Many good do it but many good don't is what I've seen.

Comment

The notion of best players is very subjective. With a DD on the team I would say that many on the team could be replaced with others that didn't make the cut or didn't go out for ODP and you wouldn't notice. The team is extremely athletic, but I think it is hard for them to sort out true soccer IQ in this process and many of the smarter players get passed over. However, going forward I think the soccer IQ increasingly becomes the key limiting factor for most players at this level. I see lots of girls that have maxed out their athletic ability and don't have the technical skills or IQ to go much further. There will be lots of turnover in next two years.

Comment

The notion of best players is very subjective. With a DD on the team I would say that many on the team could be replaced with others that didn't make the cut or didn't go out for ODP and you wouldn't notice. The team is extremely athletic, but I think it is hard for them to sort out true soccer IQ in this process and many of the smarter players get passed over. However, going forward I think the soccer IQ increasingly becomes the key limiting factor for most players at this level. I see lots of girls that have maxed out their athletic ability and don't have the technical skills or IQ to go much further. There will be lots of turnover in next two years.
        I don't think I agree that IQ is the major limiting factor. I believe you are referring to tactical knowledge as IQ. When looking at the pinnacle of women's soccer, the national team, I don't believe they are necessarily the smartest tactical players available. I am not calling them dumb. Technique is the other side of the coin. It takes athletic ability, repetition, and recognition to have technical success. The smartest player in the world will not succeed if they do not have the athletic ability to make their body do what their brain wants to do. I think you are confusing maxing out size with maxing out athletically.

Comment

I don't think I agree that IQ is the major limiting factor. I believe you are referring to tactical knowledge as IQ. When looking at the pinnacle of women's soccer, the national team, I don't believe they are necessarily the smartest tactical players available. I am not calling them dumb. Technique is the other side of the coin. It takes athletic ability, repetition, and recognition to have technical success. The smartest player in the world will not succeed if they do not have the athletic ability to make their body do what their brain wants to do. I think you are confusing maxing out size with maxing out athletically.
          Agree with this. As size evens out big Kids with a big foot tend to get caught. Athlete's and speed trumps size around U14 and on.

Comment

Note I referred to soccer IQ which to me ties in tactical elements, field vision and the wholistic ability to process decision making at a high speed. Many of the players I see now are simply the best at battling for posession of loose balls. They are physically and athletically gifted and more aggressive so you win not so much by controlling play and technical or tactical skills but by winning more 50/50 balls. Many players are good at this specific aspect of the game and it's the most obvious when you throw a bunch of random players together in a tryout situation where you see very little team play and everyone is looking to get their time on the ball. What takes longer to sort out is which players are capable of processing the game at a higher level particularly off the ball. I see many players that are great at winning 50/50 balls with a near singular focus but completely clueless of what to do off the ball to facilitate posession and tactical elements of the game.

Comment

Note I referred to soccer IQ which to me ties in tactical elements, field vision and the wholistic ability to process decision making at a high speed. Many of the players I see now are simply the best at battling for posession of loose balls. They are physically and athletically gifted and more aggressive so you win not so much by controlling play and technical or tactical skills but by winning more 50/50 balls. Many players are good at this specific aspect of the game and it's the most obvious when you throw a bunch of random players together in a tryout situation where you see very little team play and everyone is looking to get their time on the ball. What takes longer to sort out is which players are capable of processing the game at a higher level particularly off the ball. I see many players that are great at winning 50/50 balls with a near singular focus but completely clueless of what to do off the ball to facilitate posession and tactical elements of the game.
              This is one of the best posts ive seen in a long time. (so true)

Comment

Spot on.

Comment

Thank you! 100% correct here.

Comment

The post above hits the nail on the head.

The other aspect of it is that there is no way to find the more technical and higher iq players when they are surrounded by nothing but scrappy, athletic ball winners, because they are not making the runs, combining and properly playing in a manner that allows for more technical play to be possible.

It is a self fulfilling prophecy of mediocrity.

Comment

Who is suppose to teach the players soccer IQ? What tools or drills should be used to help players learn?

Comment

Who is suppose to teach the players soccer IQ? What tools or drills should be used to help players learn?
                        Not run through cones....

http://www.tovointernational.com/unc...deep-training/

Comment

The post above hits the nail on the head.

The other aspect of it is that there is no way to find the more technical and higher iq players when they are surrounded by nothing but scrappy, athletic ball winners, because they are not making the runs, combining and properly playing in a manner that allows for more technical play to be possible.

It is a self fulfilling prophecy of mediocrity.
                          Winner!

Comment

What team will dominate this age group now with birth year change? predictions for top 3 teams?

FCP
                            Crossfire
                            CFC

Comment

What team will dominate this age group now with birth year change? predictions for top 3 teams?

FCP
                              Crossfire
                              CFC
                              If you're talking about "dominating" OYSA it won't be FCP or Crossfire as their "A" teams won't be in OYSA. THUSC is probably a good bet.

Comment

one needs to actively watch (and think about what is happening out there) as many soccer games, and actively play (and think about what is happening out there) as many soccer games as possible. this is why people are always harping on about free play. kick the kids out of the house with a soccer ball.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X