Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    That's true, but they didn't fly to California or Utah or Boise to play league games. Plus they did maybe two showcases during their U15 and U16 years and maybe one more, or two, at U17. The costs were a lot cheaper. The costs of ECNL really are a benefit to the marginal player, not the top player in terms of scholarships. Although I do agree playing a more steady diet of top teams is a benefit, but comes at a large cost.
    Based upon your message we are probably splitting hairs. It is a long trip but most drive to NorCal and that trip only happens 1x, this year NorCal travels to Portland. Also most will be driving to Boise, but those flying it is a very cheap flight.

I am guessing based on what you described we probably spend about $1500 more in a year, too me it is worth it because there are college coaches coming to league games and certainly more coming to ECNL Showcase events.

Comment

That's true, but they didn't fly to California or Utah or Boise to play league games. Plus they did maybe two showcases during their U15 and U16 years and maybe one more, or two, at U17. The costs were a lot cheaper. The costs of ECNL really are a benefit to the marginal player, not the top player in terms of scholarships. Although I do agree playing a more steady diet of top teams is a benefit, but comes at a large cost.
      I would disagree because the top player now will have more schools making offers which puts leverage in the hands of the players. TA people like to say they were going to get these offers anyway and they are partially correct. The big difference is now that player has more offers and more money offered to them. These kids now can take that offer (the East coast offer that the ECNL brings) back to these schools and leverage it for a bigger offer. The process is long and difficult on these young kids and over simplified by those who like to say "they would of got that without ECNL". Good luck to all that are In the process, navigating a scholarship iis both very difficult and time consuming. When people say "they would of" don't pay attention because all situations are unique to each player. For the early commits things are no longer what they use to be, many more opportunities to look at and if your serious about them that means more travel and money to look at the schools and narrow your decision.

Comment

I would disagree because the top player now will have more schools making offers which puts leverage in the hands of the players. TA people like to say they were going to get these offers anyway and they are partially correct. The big difference is now that player has more offers and more money offered to them. These kids now can take that offer (the East coast offer that the ECNL brings) back to these schools and leverage it for a bigger offer. The process is long and difficult on these young kids and over simplified by those who like to say "they would of got that without ECNL". Good luck to all that are In the process, navigating a scholarship iis both very difficult and time consuming. When people say "they would of" don't pay attention because all situations are unique to each player. For the early commits things are no longer what they use to be, many more opportunities to look at and if your serious about them that means more travel and money to look at the schools and narrow your decision.
        No proof of any benefits. Especially for traveling for league games where there are ZERO coaches watching. I know, I was there.

Comment

Based upon your message we are probably splitting hairs. It is a long trip but most drive to NorCal and that trip only happens 1x, this year NorCal travels to Portland. Also most will be driving to Boise, but those flying it is a very cheap flight.

I am guessing based on what you described we probably spend about $1500 more in a year, too me it is worth it because there are college coaches coming to league games and certainly more coming to ECNL Showcase events.
          No, there were no coaches in NorCal nor Utah. Sorry. And this year you travel to Colorado. So exchange NorCal for Denver. No savings there. If you drove to NorCal, you are an idiot. I sure hope you put your dd on a plane, so there was a cost there. And gas isn't free. Charge yourself at least .52 per mile for your mileage. Round trip, 1,000 miles so $520 in transportation. Not free. Sure, it's good for the marginal players. For the top players who would go to top D1, little benefit other than better competition. And that's not always the case with some of the teams.

Comment

No proof of any benefits. Especially for traveling for league games where there are ZERO coaches watching. I know, I was there.
            To funny! No benefits, again someone who has not been through the recruiting process and has no idea. We had several kids contact coaches who came to league games. Why were you traveling to all the league games anyway?

Comment

No, there were no coaches in NorCal nor Utah. Sorry. And this year you travel to Colorado. So exchange NorCal for Denver. No savings there. If you drove to NorCal, you are an idiot. I sure hope you put your dd on a plane, so there was a cost there. And gas isn't free. Charge yourself at least .52 per mile for your mileage. Round trip, 1,000 miles so $520 in transportation. Not free. Sure, it's good for the marginal players. For the top players who would go to top D1, little benefit other than better competition. And that's not always the case with some of the teams.
              You are very out of touch with the current recruiting process. Oregon teams who had players being recruited in years past also traveled a lot. It cost money to get recruited always has and always will if you live in Oregon. Of course there is always one or two special kids every 5-10 years who go D1 full athletic with very little travel, I hope that is your daughter.

Comment

ECNL is clearly not worth it.

Just play in FWRL, do badly and maybe some matches in the Friendship Cup. Then never play soccer again since that is the apex of soccer. Start working, have a few to many kids and then die. Girls soccer in a nutshell.

Comment

ECNL in Oregon isn't dead, but it's on life support. Another year of results like last year and the ECNL folks will realize what a mistake they made in letting in teams from Portland, Boise, Utah, Las Vegas (they have one decent club, the other one sucks), Birmingham, and a handful more around the country. Maybe they can all relegate those clubs to ECNL Silver division and let them play each other. That way, a few of them could end up with reasonable results. Portland's won't, but some of the others might.

Comment

ECNL in Oregon isn't dead, but it's on life support. Another year of results like last year and the ECNL folks will realize what a mistake they made in letting in teams from Portland, Boise, Utah, Las Vegas (they have one decent club, the other one sucks), Birmingham, and a handful more around the country. Maybe they can all relegate those clubs to ECNL Silver division and let them play each other. That way, a few of them could end up with reasonable results. Portland's won't, but some of the others might.
                    Clearly. Play rec., drop out of high school, get pregnant, slave at a job you hate and then die.

Comment

First their isn't a silver division in ECNL. ECNL in OR isn't on life support but getting stronger. I never thought OR would have 2 teams from the 2 clubs that made it into the top 32 Champions playoffs, but if you want to think it is dead enjoy

Comment

Clearly. Play rec., drop out of high school, get pregnant, slave at a job you hate and then die.
                        Sorry to hear this about your dd. Sounds pretty awful. I hope it isn't that bad for her, but sounds like it is.

Comment

Too expensive?

Comment

Maybe not that you could see or for your team but for my DD's team they regularly had D1 & D2 coaches in attendance at the League games.

Comment

We had several D1 coaches at our league games. In fact, we had coaches fly in to watch our practices

Comment

We had several D1 coaches at our league games. In fact, we had coaches fly in to watch our practices
                                Oh boy. Now we've heard it all. Coaches flying in to watch ECNL practices. Did they bring feed for the unicorns who graze in the field next to where you practice?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X