X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Why do you care that I care?
    I was going to ask the same thing, but that would mean that I would care that he would care that you care . . . and that is just too much caring.

Comment

I was going to ask the same thing, but that would mean that I would care that he would care that you care . . . and that is just too much caring.
      Caring is sharing

Comment

To the poster that is saying a lot of boys are not accepting roster spots. Do you believe your own post? Why would a played put himself the the tryout to decline a spot. If you said they did not tryout maybe thats believable but to turn down a spot come on! I gues you can make up your own reality
        My son likes to do the academy tryouts for a good run with other good players. Never has the intention of accepting. Didn't have to turn down every year, but some.

Comment

This is important. There is a lot of focus by parents on soccer. On the girls side college is unfortunately a serious focus starting young.

What a lot of people miss is the focus on academics before sports. It doesn't matter if you get a full ride soccer scholarship to the best school if you don't have the tools to be successful academically at college.

There are a lot of talented athletes every year that have their options severely restricted because of grades. A 3.0gpa is not getting in the door at better schools. Unless you are on a high level track, getting a 3.0 gpa means you really just have to show up and do your homework.

All of this is obvious, I know. But I'm constantly surprised at how many people don't get this.
          Top academic schools won't offer scholarships if your dd isn't all that. Don't even bother with the good academic schools. Even if your daughter is one of the better players in the state. In the big picture, most colleges couldn't care less about women's soccer, they're not going to make excepts for a B student with medocre SAT scores.

Comment

Top academic schools won't offer scholarships if your dd isn't all that. Don't even bother with the good academic schools. Even if your daughter is one of the better players in the state. In the big picture, most colleges couldn't care less about women's soccer, they're not going to make excepts for a B student with medocre SAT scores.
            *exceptions*

Even at schools like OSU / U of O, the average GPA of the women's soccer teams is in the hood of 3.70 to 3.80 and both of these schools are not considered to be 'top academic'.

Comment

Ummmmm, too high

*exceptions*

Even at schools like OSU / U of O, the average GPA of the women's soccer teams is in the hood of 3.70 to 3.80 and both of these schools are not considered to be 'top academic'.
              Your GPA figures are far too high. Girls with 3.8's are not going to U of O, not even to play soccer, it's just not that important in the scheme of things. 3.4-3.7, and SATs 1500-1700 are magic numbers for U of O.

I have an idea as I'm in the pedagogical field.

Comment

Your GPA figures are far too high. Girls with 3.8's are not going to U of O, not even to play soccer, it's just not that important in the scheme of things. 3.4-3.7, and SATs 1500-1700 are magic numbers for U of O.

I have an idea as I'm in the pedagogical field.
                Girl's with high GPAs do go to U of O to play soccer. Additionally, girls who attend U of O and play soccer have high GPAs. Something wrong with your model?

Comment

Girl's with high GPAs do go to U of O to play soccer. Additionally, girls who attend U of O and play soccer have high GPAs. Something wrong with your model?
                  U of O has bad soccer and bad academics.

Comment

Oh yes they do. It's called Title 9. (Equal opportunity).

Comment

Oh yes they do. It's called Title 9. (Equal opportunity).
                      actually title 9 essentially makes it unfair for all men who do not play football. equal opportunity has become very unequal. I think scholarships should be based on revenue by sport. that would put men's soccer one slot below men's basketball or maybe men's baseball, and put women's soccer one slot up from women's underwater basket weaving.

Comment

actually title 9 essentially makes it unfair for all men who do not play football. equal opportunity has become very unequal. I think scholarships should be based on revenue by sport. that would put men's soccer one slot below men's basketball or maybe men's baseball, and put women's soccer one slot up from women's underwater basket weaving.
                        Revenue or profit?

Comment

Haven't seen the rosters but I'm hearing all over that players are bailing on Academy. Is this true? I heard they are much weaker now.

Comment

Haven't seen the rosters but I'm hearing all over that players are bailing on Academy. Is this true? I heard they are much weaker now.
                            They are finding out that there is very little that the Academy has to offer them, but rather it's all about what they have to offer the Academy. Missing out on any school athletics is a big downer for most of the players also. The ones that are sticking with it are the ones that still have stars in their eyes, or are the politically select few that the coach likes and they don't have hopes beyond soccer, or the very very few actually premier player or two that has a shot at becoming a player in MLS and know they are set up for it.

Comment

They are finding out that there is very little that the Academy has to offer them, but rather it's all about what they have to offer the Academy. Missing out on any school athletics is a big downer for most of the players also. The ones that are sticking with it are the ones that still have stars in their eyes, or are the politically select few that the coach likes and they don't have hopes beyond soccer, or the very very few actually premier player or two that has a shot at becoming a player in MLS and know they are set up for it.
                              I know players that are now on it that were barely good enough to make the state pool a couple years ago. It's not cause they got better. Some are not even top 10 on their club team.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X