Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Training question

How much time does your coach/trainer spend between running drills and giving verbal lessons? My son is now in U14 and it seems like 60% of the time in training is downtime (either the coach is speaking to them or they have water breaks). For example, in 1.5 hours training, only about 30 minutes of actual physical training is being done. The coach would spend about 10 minutes setting up and explaining the drill and then the boys would run it for about 2-3 minutes. He would then stop the drill and spend about 5 minutes explaining what he expects to see and run it for another 5 minutes. Then he stops the drill, gives them a water break, and sets up for the next drill (which takes another 10 minutes). I feel this is just too much downtime.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    How much time does your coach/trainer spend between running drills and giving verbal lessons? My son is now in U14 and it seems like 60% of the time in training is downtime (either the coach is speaking to them or they have water breaks). For example, in 1.5 hours training, only about 30 minutes of actual physical training is being done. The coach would spend about 10 minutes setting up and explaining the drill and then the boys would run it for about 2-3 minutes. He would then stop the drill and spend about 5 minutes explaining what he expects to see and run it for another 5 minutes. Then he stops the drill, gives them a water break, and sets up for the next drill (which takes another 10 minutes). I feel this is just too much downtime.
    It all depends on how many players are training. Trainers should have the cones set up prior to training. If its one specific drill or circuit training With separate drills then the cones should already be in place for each separate drill. Explaining and water breaks are Fine but the set up should already be in place.

Comment

It all depends on how many players are training. Trainers should have the cones set up prior to training. If its one specific drill or circuit training With separate drills then the cones should already be in place for each separate drill. Explaining and water breaks are Fine but the set up should already be in place.
      It's usually about 12-16 players. The drills are specific. The coach usually sets it up when the kids arrive and sets up the next drill during the water break after each drill.

Comment

Go for a run or have a beer sometime and don't hover at the practice field.

Comment

Go for a run or have a beer sometime and don't hover at the practice field.
          I just want to make sure I'm getting my money's worth.

Comment

I just want to make sure I'm getting my money's worth.
            You aren't.

Now, go have a beer. I can guarantee your kid doesn't want you hovering.

Comment

You aren't.

I guess you're one of the loaded ones. Good for you.

Comment

I guess you're one of the loaded ones. Good for you.
                No, I just learned long, long ago to stay out of the way. I've followed the game for over 40 years and still I know to let them coach.

Comment

You aren't.

No I think it's a fair question. The better coaches/trainers will come to practice with a detailed plan and transition quickly from one drill to the next. Some of the drills they already know so there shouldn't be down time on every single drill and there should be a progression in difficulty that gets you to the final drill. The sense of urgency in training will translate to the game. It depends on how serious you are about soccer.

Comment

No I think it's a fair question. The better coaches/trainers will come to practice with a detailed plan and transition quickly from one drill to the next. Some of the drills they already know so there shouldn't be down time on every single drill and there should be a progression in difficulty that gets you to the final drill. The sense of urgency in training will translate to the game. It depends on how serious you are about soccer.
                    Thank you for providing constructive feedback.

Comment

Yes, it is a fair question. I am also recommending not hovering around the field. It's a distraction and gets you nothing.

Don't discount these kids are clueless, in over their head, and can't grasp the drills and that's why it's taking too long.

Comment

Yes, it is a fair question. I am also recommending not hovering around the field. It's a distraction and gets you nothing.

Don't discount these kids are clueless, in over their head, and can't grasp the drills and that's why it's taking too long.

40 years and this is what you learned?

Comment

I agree. I've seen coaches where all they do is scrimmage every practice and scream at kids for not doing the right thing during games. Then there are those who just talk tactics and strategies throughout most of the practices. You can tell a good coach by how prepared they are and the progressions they go through.

Comment

40 years and this is what you learned?
                            I learned to STFU and let the coaches do their job.

Comment

I learned to STFU and let the coaches do their job.
                              Yeah like I thought, you didn't learn much. Maybe in another 40, you can do better.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X