Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    What happened to CW tonight? They dominated they way to a 3-1 loss.
    Give all the credit to Prout! Will be CW only loss...mark my words.

Comment

Give all the credit to Prout! Will be CW only loss...mark my words.
      Prout? SK best CW 3-1 on Saturday night.

Comment

I got no love from the moderator (TIL: there's apparently a moderator on here somewhere) when I tried to start a post asking a question about RI HS soccer, so apologies for the slight threadjack.

New to RI, have a son who has played on a club team at the top competitive level available, starter who plays most minutes. He'll be going to HS next year, so I asked a new acquaintance about the HS soccer scene, competition, etc. This person told me that my son shouldn't get his hopes up because making a top team is nearly impossible unless the kid is some kind of a physical specimen who's also a soccer prodigy. Their experience is with La Salle, but they said it's like that for any school with a good team.

So what are HS tryouts like around here? How many usually try out at the "good" schools? Are there any screening tests (i.e., timed mile, beep test, etc.) that a kid has to pass before being considered? I thought we were coming to a big fish/small pond kind of place, but I'm being led to believe we've stumbled into some sort of hidden hotbed of super-competitive HS soccer.

Comment

I got no love from the moderator (TIL: there's apparently a moderator on here somewhere) when I tried to start a post asking a question about RI HS soccer, so apologies for the slight threadjack.

New to RI, have a son who has played on a club team at the top competitive level available, starter who plays most minutes. He'll be going to HS next year, so I asked a new acquaintance about the HS soccer scene, competition, etc. This person told me that my son shouldn't get his hopes up because making a top team is nearly impossible unless the kid is some kind of a physical specimen who's also a soccer prodigy. Their experience is with La Salle, but they said it's like that for any school with a good team.

So what are HS tryouts like around here? How many usually try out at the "good" schools? Are there any screening tests (i.e., timed mile, beep test, etc.) that a kid has to pass before being considered? I thought we were coming to a big fish/small pond kind of place, but I'm being led to believe we've stumbled into some sort of hidden hotbed of super-competitive HS soccer.
          You you mind sharing what school? Mileage will vary greatly but in general I think the level of play is being overhyped. Some good players and 3-4 schools will be tough to but it he is a good player he should be fine. Maybe need to play on freshman/JV for a year if you are at a top school.

Comment

Find some new friends

Think you will be just fine. Funny stuff

Comment

You you mind sharing what school? Mileage will vary greatly but in general I think the level of play is being overhyped. Some good players and 3-4 schools will be tough to but it he is a good player he should be fine. Maybe need to play on freshman/JV for a year if you are at a top school.
              Haven't decided, but NK is our local HS, but also looking at LaSalle and Bishop Hendricken. St. George's is an outside possibility if a rich uncle comes out of the woodwork, but probably not a great fit for my kid, and from what I gather, making the team there would be no problem at all.

Comment

Haven't decided, but NK is our local HS, but also looking at LaSalle and Bishop Hendricken. St. George's is an outside possibility if a rich uncle comes out of the woodwork, but probably not a great fit for my kid, and from what I gather, making the team there would be no problem at all.
                Who cares? This thread is about the supposed dominance of Cranston West. Plus no one cares about Boys soccer here. The best ones don't play...they play DAP!

Comment

Not to hard to check out Projo HS boys standings to see top teams or RI HS SPORTS to see title winners. Freshmen it depends, obviously harder at LSA because they recruit.

http://www.rihssports.com/STANDINGS/CURRENT/BOYS/BOY'S%20SOCCER.htm

NK had a freshman start a few years ago and key part of their title that year. It's usually LSA and NK/Barrington but Tolman broke through a couple of years ago. Usually the Prov public schools have some talented kids who can't play as a team.

Just a point. Pick the school for education and other (friends, school spirit, etc.). My daughter's club team mate went to LSA and lost her spot as a Junior so was miserable and even quit soccer senior year -- got disconnected from local friends who she started out with for years in rec then local comp and then a few who went to better club.

College to the extent it will be "normal" in a few years is about club and camp, etc connections as you probably already know. HS soccer unless you are the elite and simply want the Gatorade POY or D1 1st team all -state recognition is more about school spirit and playing with friends -- boys soccer becomes incredibly chippy and girls has gotten just as bad and at slower speed. See moments of good play but it's usually individual talent making a play. If your kid is that good, then yeah stay DA -- if not, go for the school your kid will enjoy if soccer doesn't happen -- this is still a relatively small pond so talented kids will stand out to the coaches.

Can't speak for all teams, but coaches do appreciate speed given the HS game becomes chippy and over the top play.

Comment

Has West dropped out of the league? They aren't listed in the standings and there are no results of their matches on ProJo?

Comment

CW steamrolling along!

Comment

CW steamrolling along!
                        Where is link for current standings for Girls?

Comment

NK boys looking pretty strong as usual..

Comment

Apply to 3 or 4 NEPSAC schools. Contact the soccer coaches and let them know your kid applied. Ask them to come see your kid play. If your kid is really playing at a top club level, there will be interest. Cost will be similar to LaSalle after you get a financial aid package.

Comment

Apply to 3 or 4 NEPSAC schools. Contact the soccer coaches and let them know your kid applied. Ask them to come see your kid play. If your kid is really playing at a top club level, there will be interest. Cost will be similar to LaSalle after you get a financial aid package.
                              I've heard ISL schools are generous with aid for athletes, but are all NEPSAC schools like that? Portsmouth Abbey and Rocky Hill, for example? I haven't heard of a lot of the NEPSAC schools in RI (or any, really) being soccer powerhouses, so I can't imagine they'd be giving big discounts for soccer players, no matter how talented.

Comment

I've heard ISL schools are generous with aid for athletes, but are all NEPSAC schools like that? Portsmouth Abbey and Rocky Hill, for example? I haven't heard of a lot of the NEPSAC schools in RI (or any, really) being soccer powerhouses, so I can't imagine they'd be giving big discounts for soccer players, no matter how talented.
                                Worcester Academy, Berkshire, Holderness, Marianapolis, Pomfret, Loomis-Chafee, South Kent, Westminster all have good soccer programs and have generous financial aid.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X