Club Commitment List Accuracy Analysis

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Correct. But there are still plenty of girls not seeing the field and getting a lot of $$$ or thinking they are better then they really are because of silly high school accolades
    The list goes on and on

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Scholarships renew every year. You have to perform to keep it.

True at many power programs. Not true at more academically oriented schools. For example, most Patriot League schools do not allow their coach to reduce a scholarship for performance issues.

Comment

True at many power programs. Not true at more academically oriented schools. For example, most Patriot League schools do not allow their coach to reduce a scholarship for performance issues.
        If you are not a perennial top 10 and resort to this baloney, you will be searching high and dry for bums to give money to pretty quickly ..... word gets around quickly about programs with bad reputations. Any player with a worse, but reasonable choice would choose the other school.

Comment

All Power 5 scholarships are 4 year deals I thought? Could be wrong.

Comment

This is the problem with early recruiting. All coaches are caught up with recruiting freshman and soph’s in high school. I can name about 5 on huge money and not playing a second that we’re recruited very early. The small very technical player at U14/15 better grow or they are in trouble. Others that were “superstars” at U14/15 that don’t develop are coach killers as well.
            Coaches can pull scholarships whenever they want. not playing means no scholarship

Comment

All Power 5 scholarships are 4 year deals I thought? Could be wrong.
              Power 5 is the only place you're' guaranteed all four year's athletic $. The rest are year to year. If you're not getting more than token minutes freshman year and not meaningful minutes by sophomore year, you should be concerned. That said, packages are generally reflective of what a coach thinks you'll contribute. Token $ = a coach doesn't expect much. Good $= coach thinks you'll be an impact player.

Comment

Power 5 is the only place you're' guaranteed all four year's athletic $. The rest are year to year. If you're not getting more than token minutes freshman year and not meaningful minutes by sophomore year, you should be concerned. That said, packages are generally reflective of what a coach thinks you'll contribute. Token $ = a coach doesn't expect much. Good $= coach thinks you'll be an impact player.
                Wrongo bucko. No 4 year guarantees

Comment

no you are wrong-

Comment

Swing and a miss. Try googling first so as not to look so stupid next time.

In 2015, the NCAA Division I “Power 5” Schools implemented a rule that has the effect of “protecting” Division I student-athletes from having their athletic scholarship cancelled or not renewed for any athletics reason. Quite simply, a coach cannot take away a scholarship for poor athletic performance.

Here are several facts about this rule:
                    – This new rule was voted in by the universities of the “Power 5” conferences – the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, PAC-12, and SEC, as well as Notre Dame. This rule must be followed by these 65 universities.
                    – Other Division I schools and conferences can choose to follow this rule, but are not required to do so. So, an athlete receiving an athletic scholarship from a university that is NOT one of the 65 mentioned here might still receive a one-year scholarship which a coach can choose not to renew for the following academic year.

https://informedathlete.com/the-fact...-scholarships/

Comment

I don’t think a player choosing to long longer play soccer after their first year in college has anything to do with the club they played for. That would be like saying the HS guidance counselor is responsible when a student decides to transfer out of her first college to go to a different one after the first year.

Young people change their minds in college, about a whole host of topics. Life events happen that cause decisions to be made.

A club’s role is to develop the player and help them get recruited by COLLEGE COACHES who must decide if that player is right for their program. What happens after that is up to the player and the college coach.
                      My child and her contemporaries (soccer players) are in their freshman year, mostly D1 schools. She reports that almost half of them are no longer into soccer. Apparently, many of them have been losing interest for some time but said nothing. It sounds like at least 1/3 of them are ready to bail after their freshman year. Given that almost all of them are from families well ensconced in the middle-class (if not upper-middle-class) and have options, I wonder if this contributes to the ambivalence about continuing to play? I also wonder if this lack of hunger for the game is also diminishing what we are seeing at the YNT level?

Comment

My child and her contemporaries (soccer players) are in their freshman year, mostly D1 schools. She reports that almost half of them are no longer into soccer. Apparently, many of them have been losing interest for some time but said nothing. It sounds like at least 1/3 of them are ready to bail after their freshman year. Given that almost all of them are from families well ensconced in the middle-class (if not upper-middle-class) and have options, I wonder if this contributes to the ambivalence about continuing to play? I also wonder if this lack of hunger for the game is also diminishing what we are seeing at the YNT level?
                        At first I thought you were the parent of an fsa player underwhelmed by the demotivating fsa coaching staff. However, then you said most of her peers were playing d1, and I knew you were a cfc parent

Comment

Swing and a miss. Try googling first so as not to look so stupid next time.

In 2015, the NCAA Division I “Power 5” Schools implemented a rule that has the effect of “protecting” Division I student-athletes from having their athletic scholarship cancelled or not renewed for any athletics reason. Quite simply, a coach cannot take away a scholarship for poor athletic performance.

Here are several facts about this rule:
                          – This new rule was voted in by the universities of the “Power 5” conferences – the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, PAC-12, and SEC, as well as Notre Dame. This rule must be followed by these 65 universities.
                          – Other Division I schools and conferences can choose to follow this rule, but are not required to do so. So, an athlete receiving an athletic scholarship from a university that is NOT one of the 65 mentioned here might still receive a one-year scholarship which a coach can choose not to renew for the following academic year.

https://informedathlete.com/the-fact...-scholarships/
                          You are splitting hairs. Yes, they are called one year renewable scholarships. However, you can only not renew them if they drop below requirements academically, or become a discipline issue. At no time can a coach drop a scholarship due to performance. If the player sticks it out and does what is asked, they get the scholarship all 4 years. Please stop spreading misinformation.

Comment

It is not uncommon for this to happen in college. Rosters are huge. Subs rules restrictive compared to HS, and everyone plays to win. It means a lot of unhappy players cooling their heels on the bench. And yet, they are expected to make everything (rightly so). But it’s a big commitment to not ever play. Which is why they should choose very carefully. Don’t worry about D1, 2 or 3. Worry about it being the right fit academically, socially AND soccer wise. Being able to tell your neighbors you are playing D1 loses its luster after you sit for 15 games in a row.

Comment

You are splitting hairs. Yes, they are called one year renewable scholarships. However, you can only not renew them if they drop below requirements academically, or become a discipline issue. At no time can a coach drop a scholarship due to performance. If the player sticks it out and does what is asked, they get the scholarship all 4 years. Please stop spreading misinformation.
                              Just like with early recruiting rules, there are loopholes with scholarships as wide as the grand canyon and coaches use them. The fact that many players willingly quit due to burn out or lack of PT also frees money back up for coaches to get new recruits

Comment

It is not uncommon for this to happen in college. Rosters are huge. Subs rules restrictive compared to HS, and everyone plays to win. It means a lot of unhappy players cooling their heels on the bench. And yet, they are expected to make everything (rightly so). But it’s a big commitment to not ever play. Which is why they should choose very carefully. Don’t worry about D1, 2 or 3. Worry about it being the right fit academically, socially AND soccer wise. Being able to tell your neighbors you are playing D1 loses its luster after you sit for 15 games in a row.
                                100% spot on. The likelihood of playing four meaningful years isn't great. You can greatly increase your odds of a successful career by carefully targeting the right level of soccer. A lot of players overshoot, assuming they'll win PT because they've always been studs. Then reality sets in. If you're not 100% committed to putting in the work and you're not playing because you aimed too high, it's unlikely you'll be wearing a uniform by junior year

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X