Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Seen plenty of coaches and parents look the other way about concussions in order to keep Suzie Star on the field. There will be regret down the road.
    Because they have an investment in the player and don't you dare take my investment away.

What am I going to do with myself if my kid doesn't play soccer? My adult social life will be gone.

Comment

Schools do have tougher protocols because usually a doctor has to ok return to play and sign a form. Clubs don't require that, just the player or parent saying they're ok to play. Even then players can fake their way through it. This happened to friend who is a pediatrician - football player lied, was okd to return and suffered another concussion and missed months of school.

Walk away from any coach that is pressuring your kid to return. They are supposed to be symptom free for a full week before returning to moderate activities. If any symptoms return stop activity immediately and wait longer. A 2nd blow to the head too soon after a first concussion can have lifelong consequences. I've seen it first hand. It's just not worth messing around with the only brain you have
      "Clubs don't require that, just the player or parent saying they're ok to play."

Westside does require a doctor's release. I'm pretty sure people on TS said their clubs do too. Maybe people can post their club's policy on the forum?

Westside's Concussion Awareness page:
      http://www.westsidetimbers.org/home.php?layout=441708

Westside Timbers Soccer Club Concussion Protocol

Westside Timbers Soccer Club follows the Washington State House Bill 1824, also known as the "Zackery Lystedt Law". The Lystedt Law directly affects youth sports and Traumatic Brain Injuries and requires that:

An informed consent must be signed annually by parents and youth athletes acknowledging the risk of head injury prior to practice or competition - this is done when the player joins the club.

"A youth athlete who is suspected of sustaining a concussion must be removed from play - "when in doubt, sit them out"

Additionally the Westside Timbers Soccer Club requires:

If the player is removed from play the Coach is required to relinquish the Player Card for the player to the Westside Timbers office - until the player has been cleared.

A youth athlete who has been removed from play must receive written clearance from a licensed health care provider prior to returning to play. This Written Clearance must be submitted to the Westide Timbers Office.

Once the office receives the letter the player's card will be returned to the Coach and the player may resume practice and games."

Comment

Good for Westside. The cases I have seen are predominantly the parents & player pushing that the player is fine and the coach looking the other way to get a good player back on the field. The parents & player are scared to lose playing time and possibly lose their starting spot. Have seen players get multiple concussions in a week, parents never take them to a doctor and player plays again in the next games. I haven't seen coaches pushing a player to play but have let the parents & player dictate the return knowing full well the player shouldn't be playing.

Comment

Good for Westside. The cases I have seen are predominantly the parents & player pushing that the player is fine and the coach looking the other way to get a good player back on the field. The parents & player are scared to lose playing time and possibly lose their starting spot. Have seen players get multiple concussions in a week, parents never take them to a doctor and player plays again in the next games. I haven't seen coaches pushing a player to play but have let the parents & player dictate the return knowing full well the player shouldn't be playing.
          If you're with a club perhaps you can get it interested in a formal policy, if it doesn't already have one in place. It sounds like you've made some good observations.

Comment

Our club doesn't have a formal policy but the coaches have all had concussion training by a local expert. With two kids there I haven't seen or heard of a coach pushing a player too hard but there are parents who will push their kids. Kids push themselves too. One of mine had one last year and was dying to get back to playing. It was clear to us he wasn't ready. We actually enlisted the coach's help to tell him to wait longer.

Comment

As long as there is competition for playing time, players & parents will push when it is dangerous for the player to play. Clubs & leagues need to have & FOLLOW strict concussion policies like high school does. Most of these kids won't suffer until down the road when it's too late.

Comment

As long as there is competition for playing time, players & parents will push when it is dangerous for the player to play. Clubs & leagues need to have & FOLLOW strict concussion policies like high school does. Most of these kids won't suffer until down the road when it's too late.
                They won't until they get sued. That's why they banned heading U12 and under - lawsuit. I agree each league should have it's own strict rules and mandatory training (not "hey coach, read this pamphlet"). The issue I see is that players will push themselves (and some parents will too - can't tell you how many former football-playing-dads brag about they just "shook it off" when they played so why can't their kids). A coach, even with some training, can be fooled (and tempted) to think a player is ready to play. A policy will help, but it takes players, coaches, parents and refs all working for common goals to make it better. Other issue is forcing families to pay for an initial DX and a follow up office visit.

Comment

They won't until they get sued. That's why they banned heading U12 and under - lawsuit. I agree each league should have it's own strict rules and mandatory training (not "hey coach, read this pamphlet"). The issue I see is that players will push themselves (and some parents will too - can't tell you how many former football-playing-dads brag about they just "shook it off" when they played so why can't their kids). A coach, even with some training, can be fooled (and tempted) to think a player is ready to play. A policy will help, but it takes players, coaches, parents and refs all working for common goals to make it better. Other issue is forcing families to pay for an initial DX and a follow up office visit.
                  Which clubs hand out pamphlets? Where do people find these pamphlets?

OYSA player card registration includes supplemental health insurance. Not sure what the deductible is now, but it could help.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  x
                  Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                  x
                  Working...
                  X