Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Alliance left, our membership missed playing them.

After watching what's happened, not sure if benefits of playing alliance clubs outweighs the problems with playing in a Peregrine league.
    I say everyone pull out and let them play each other. They can build Academy teams as young as 07 and load them onto buses to play against Washington teams every weekend. No more trips to Bend or Medford!

Comment

Time to restart the OPL !!!
      ya cause LO did a bang up job running it last time. Lets try it again.

Comment

The try out fee is prohibited by US Soccer. Are the thorns going to violate that rule?

Comment

The try out fee is prohibited by US Soccer. Are the thorns going to violate that rule?
          It's like parking in a compact spot with a SUV. Nobody is checking. Unless a complaint is filed with US Soccer then it will go unnoticed and they will get their $30,000 +/- of cash in two days.

Comment

Regardless if the Thorns Academy is in violation of the rules, I think it is fair to say the $125 tryout fee is outrageous.

Taking another prospective, maybe the exorbitant tryout fee serves more than a money making purpose. Perhaps it helps to keep some of the players and parents that have the warped perception of their daughter's playing abilities out of tryouts? The tryout fee should make the average person at least think prior to signing up.. Or maybe it does the opposite and every soccer loon parent and kid show up.

Comment

Regardless if the Thorns Academy is in violation of the rules, I think it is fair to say the $125 tryout fee is outrageous.

Taking another prospective, maybe the exorbitant tryout fee serves more than a money making purpose. Perhaps it helps to keep some of the players and parents that have the warped perception of their daughter's playing abilities out of tryouts? The tryout fee should make the average person at least think prior to signing up.. Or maybe it does the opposite and every soccer loon parent and kid show up.
              I somewhat agree. But I also think the opposite that the exorbitant fee will draw a lot of people for the prestige of spending $70 per day. The psychology of the certain people will drive that.

Comment

I somewhat agree. But I also think the opposite that the exorbitant fee will draw a lot of people for the prestige of spending $70 per day. The psychology of the certain people will drive that.
                Good point.

The psychology of parents is what drives this mayhem.

Comment

The tryouts are 2 sessions each over two days. So that works out to about $30 per hour which is about what people pay to play Laser Tag.

I don't really see this as being prohibitive for most interested players. I mean, the $8000 price tag didn't keep people away from trying out for ECNL teams.

Comment

The tryouts are 2 sessions each over two days. So that works out to about $30 per hour which is about what people pay to play Laser Tag.

I don't really see this as being prohibitive for most interested players. I mean, the $8000 price tag didn't keep people away from trying out for ECNL teams.
                    The model is set up so it's an equal opportunity for all. Some can't afford $5. GDA mandates it.

Comment

Last year they had free preview days where they said you could try it out for free and coaches would tell you if you should pay the tryout fee and officially try out. My DD went and surprise surprise every single girl who attended was told she should try out and had a great chance of making the team. This included a girl who was cut from our club's B team.

Comment

Have the current Thorns Academy players been assured spots? Will this be an actual tryout or just for show and a fundraiser for current players?

Comment

Have the current Thorns Academy players been assured spots? Will this be an actual tryout or just for show and a fundraiser for current players?
                          Spots are absolutely guaranteed. Unless someone better tries out.

Comment

The kids that played this year have already been recruited to play next year. A number of them are passing on it.

The try out is to fill a few roster spots but they hope to get 30+ kids per age group and pull in $20,000-$30,000 in profits.

Not sure how they will get around the US Soccer prohibition on charging a try out fee for girls DA.

Comment

http://www.ussoccerda.com/girls-academy-faqs

"Clubs may not charge a registration fee for tryouts, which includes fees for equipment, apparel or etc."

I bet they get a ton of people trying out if it's free.
                              Are they caving and making try outs free?

Comment

Have they already offered players roster spots? If they have they should probably let people know before they drop $125 for a try out.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X