Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    .... Why cut a "bubble" varsity player their junior year instead of allowing them one more year to develop and play? ....
    Because it is pretty much an unwritten rule for most schools that if you take a player on as a junior then they are on the varsity team next year as a senior. The kid had 2 years of HS to improve and didn't get where he needed to be (let alone all of the previous years). There is no need to carry him next year on the varsity roster and bring down the level of play in practice and never get off the bench. Worse, he would probably be given the varsity spot of a freshman or sophomore that has more potential. Our team has 16 seniors this year and 5 juniors ..... not one soph or freshman and the coaches are citing number issues for the very talented underclassmen (who are needed on the varsity squad .... which is not as good as it can be). I think this is silly and the fault of the coaches. Kids should have been cut for not being as good as they need to be. They had 15 or 16 years to develop ..... one more year will not matter at this point. I sympathize with the school and coach in this case. Sports should be an earned privilege at the JV level and above in HS, not a right.

Comment

Because it is pretty much an unwritten rule for most schools that if you take a player on as a junior then they are on the varsity team next year as a senior. The kid had 2 years of HS to improve and didn't get where he needed to be (let alone all of the previous years). There is no need to carry him next year on the varsity roster and bring down the level of play in practice and never get off the bench. Worse, he would probably be given the varsity spot of a freshman or sophomore that has more potential. Our team has 16 seniors this year and 5 juniors ..... not one soph or freshman and the coaches are citing number issues for the very talented underclassmen (who are needed on the varsity squad .... which is not as good as it can be). I think this is silly and the fault of the coaches. Kids should have been cut for not being as good as they need to be. They had 15 or 16 years to develop ..... one more year will not matter at this point. I sympathize with the school and coach in this case. Sports should be an earned privilege at the JV level and above in HS, not a right.
      Completely disagree. Varsity should be earned. JV should be the taxpayer students of the district. The point is to teach the kids about the sport and offer them the benefits of sport. That should be for all the tax paying families. They dont kick a kid out of robotics club because they are not good at robotics or out of band because they are not good at band.

Comment

Everything that's wrong with soccer in America in less than 500 words.

https://nypost.com/2018/09/29/mom-fi...y-soccer-team/
        My initial reaction, but then when I thought about the fact that juniors can no longer play I thought it kind of sh*tty. Pretty sure I wouldn't sue the school though and if my parents did I'd be embarassed.

Comment

Completely disagree. Varsity should be earned. JV should be the taxpayer students of the district. The point is to teach the kids about the sport and offer them the benefits of sport. That should be for all the tax paying families. They dont kick a kid out of robotics club because they are not good at robotics or out of band because they are not good at band.
          It's not a club, it's a team where you are selected based on abilities.

Comment

In our town we have almost 90 kids trying out for less than 65 spots on 3 teams. Freshman pretty much get a pass unless they have never played the sport before (happens every year). I expect that they generally first fill the varsity roster with the "best" 20-22 players (seems to never happen but is mostly close), then they fill the freshman roster with about 20-22 freshmen players and then have to figure out the hardest roster .... the JV (which has kids from 3 different graduating classes). About 45-50 kids are still in the pool for only about 20 spots and you have to try to build a competitive team that will compete this year and try to get underclassmen ready for varsity down the road. Kids need to be cut from JV in our town. How many kids tried out at that HS? Would be very relevant information.

Comment

It's not a club, it's a team where you are selected based on abilities.
              Like i said, I am fine with that for varsity. JV should be for all the taxpayers. If the teams take the money, they should serve the people paying for it.

Comment

Like i said, I am fine with that for varsity. JV should be for all the taxpayers. If the teams take the money, they should serve the people paying for it.
                That's ridiculous. You want a roster of 400 students, all because they pay taxes?

Comment

That's ridiculous. You want a roster of 400 students, all because they pay taxes?
                  Yes, and equal playing time. Prep schools do it, we need it in Lowell too!

Comment

Well I think it is ridiculous to have a bunch of families paying for school sports that are not even accessible to their children. They let your crappy sax player in the band with the kid that is really good because both those kids pay for it. If there are not enough spots, let the oldest students play the lower levels and then the younger ones will get their turn when those kids graduate. Non of these kids are going pro in music or sports.

Comment

Disagree. Many schools carry large JV rosters. They don't always know who will become V material and some kids drop out along the way. If the V team has a ton of seniors this year that makes it harder for a junior to make it but next year they could make it no problem. The only reason to keep a junior off JV is if spots are limited and cuts need to be made. I agree that if he was close but not quite V material he's probably good enough for JV, especially as a more seasoned player. Also, not all schools have that "stick it out for three years and you're in rule." They still cut incoming seniors. That's why many kids drop out before that, knowing they won't ever make V. But if a kid wants to play JV why not just let them?

Comment

In our town we have almost 90 kids trying out for less than 65 spots on 3 teams. Freshman pretty much get a pass unless they have never played the sport before (happens every year). I expect that they generally first fill the varsity roster with the "best" 20-22 players (seems to never happen but is mostly close), then they fill the freshman roster with about 20-22 freshmen players and then have to figure out the hardest roster .... the JV (which has kids from 3 different graduating classes). About 45-50 kids are still in the pool for only about 20 spots and you have to try to build a competitive team that will compete this year and try to get underclassmen ready for varsity down the road. Kids need to be cut from JV in our town. How many kids tried out at that HS? Would be very relevant information.
                        I understand what you're saying and numbers at tryouts can/do have an impact. However, whether the roster is 20 or 25, JV is a feeder system for varsity and should take as many talented players as possible to develop and allow for the best selection at varsity tryouts the following year. If you have 40 players trying out for 25 spots, I get the cut, but that wasn't what this lawsuit was about. It was about junior boys not playing JV and if they don't make varsity, they get cut. The coach needed to have a conversation with the player that they are at risk of not making varsity next year if they don't improve XYZ, then put the kid on JV and see what happens over the season.

I don't believe in being a helicopter/lawnmower parent and kids need to learn to deal with adversity and disappointment. Having said that, this program's rules are just wrong (both the disparity between girls and boys programs and the rule itself of no juniors on JV).

Comment

I understand what you're saying and numbers at tryouts can/do have an impact. However, whether the roster is 20 or 25, JV is a feeder system for varsity and should take as many talented players as possible to develop and allow for the best selection at varsity tryouts the following year. If you have 40 players trying out for 25 spots, I get the cut, but that wasn't what this lawsuit was about. It was about junior boys not playing JV and if they don't make varsity, they get cut. The coach needed to have a conversation with the player that they are at risk of not making varsity next year if they don't improve XYZ, then put the kid on JV and see what happens over the season.

I don't believe in being a helicopter/lawnmower parent and kids need to learn to deal with adversity and disappointment. Having said that, this program's rules are just wrong (both the disparity between girls and boys programs and the rule itself of no juniors on JV).
                          JV is there to build for Varsity. There is no sense in keeping a Junior when you can do the same with a Sophomore or Freshman. You get that player for longer.

Sorry, kid. Tough break, but the reality is it's just not your thing.

Comment

JV is there to build for Varsity. There is no sense in keeping a Junior when you can do the same with a Sophomore or Freshman. You get that player for longer.

Sorry, kid. Tough break, but the reality is it's just not your thing.
                            Gimme a break. It is school youth sports.

Comment

Gimme a break. It is school youth sports.
                              Just hand out the ribbons and be done with it then. Why even bother keeping score.

Sorry, but I struggle to see how a 17-year old kid fits into the "youth sports" model.

Comment

Well I think it is ridiculous to have a bunch of families paying for school sports that are not even accessible to their children. They let your crappy sax player in the band with the kid that is really good because both those kids pay for it. If there are not enough spots, let the oldest students play the lower levels and then the younger ones will get their turn when those kids graduate. Non of these kids are going pro in music or sports.
                                WOW! you really are a trophy or all kind of person.
                                What about the people that live in the district and pay taxes, but dont have any kids in school? Should they get tax refund?

If you truly want to advocate for opportunities for every student to play, then the answer is to add another team. In our area, we have a Varsity and then JV-A and JV-B.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X