Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hey, you antisemite, were you in Pittsburgh this weekend?

Hey, I suppose some expressions used by more intelligent types escape you.

"Looking down your nose" is something called an "idiom". You should have paid more attention in English class in school.

In this case, this idiom means you see others as inferior to you or not deserving respect.

Or could you be making some ethnically biased innuendo by linking nose length to being Jewish? That would be a bit of a bigoted perspective, eh? I didn't draw that connection, you did. Who's the Anti-Semite?

Here's another idiom for you....."You are showing your ass".

Comment

Frankly, your crowing about this reinforces the systemic unfairness that the CIAC has created by allowing parochial schools to compete on equal footing with public schools. Any school that has the ability to recruit kids or pull kids from public school districts has a potentially inherent and unfair sports advantage, regardless of sport. The fact that some parochial schools do not dominate a sport is not relevant. The "potential" exists because they are not bound by the same restrictions that public schools must follow.

It's clearly seen with the prep schools, as they do not compete with public high school programs in the regular season or post-season. Whether that is the CIAC or the governing body of the prep schools that have decided this, it is a correct way of thinking.

The parochial schools need to play in the same arena, under the same rules, as the other schools they compete with. They should be all put in their own league together and play among themselves.
      I went to SJ (late 80’s) and I actually agree with this. Back then there was a catholic school league with teams like SJ, Prep, Xavier, NW Catholic, ND, East Catholic, etc. Not sure why it fell apart by my guess is travel costs/distance and logistics. There are plenty of “schools of choice” around to create a league, with all the above mentioned plus Immaculate, Kolbe, Trinity, and I’m missing more. The problem again is the geography.

Comment

Congrats to Staples for going undefeated in the FCIAC. Hard to do. But you had 3 ties - 2 against weak teams. I'm not sure I'd be crowing about running through the league.
        Will Staples be displaying a banner stating they were the #1 seed? It is meaningless if you come out empty-handed. It happened to St Joe's in 2014; 16-0 in regular season but lost in FCIAC first round and States quarterfinals. Long offseason and lots of reflection after, and hard work, St Joe's won 1 fciac and 3 state championships the next 3 years.

Staples team should admit that they underachieved if they want a rallying cry to win when it really counts.

St Joe's Parent

Comment

Hey, I suppose some expressions used by more intelligent types escape you.

"Looking down your nose" is something called an "idiom". You should have paid more attention in English class in school.

In this case, this idiom means you see others as inferior to you or not deserving respect.

Or could you be making some ethnically biased innuendo by linking nose length to being Jewish? That would be a bit of a bigoted perspective, eh? I didn't draw that connection, you did. Who's the Anti-Semite?

Here's another idiom for you....."You are showing your ass".
          1. You're not that smart, though impressed you can google idiom
          2. Your intent is clear. I am happy to post my name how about you? Heck, I would be happy to show up at your house and have a discussion with your kids and mine, Or are you one of those guys who are only tough when they are anonymous?

Comment

I went to SJ (late 80’s) and I actually agree with this. Back then there was a catholic school league with teams like SJ, Prep, Xavier, NW Catholic, ND, East Catholic, etc. Not sure why it fell apart by my guess is travel costs/distance and logistics. There are plenty of “schools of choice” around to create a league, with all the above mentioned plus Immaculate, Kolbe, Trinity, and I’m missing more. The problem again is the geography.

I was raised out west, in a state that could fit 3 states the size of CT within it, maybe more.

To get on a bus and make a 50-75 mile drive to play a game was no real issue. We did it all the time.

The reasons for this are much more than merely ones of travel cost/distance.

Comment

Will Staples be displaying a banner stating they were the #1 seed? It is meaningless if you come out empty-handed. It happened to St Joe's in 2014; 16-0 in regular season but lost in FCIAC first round and States quarterfinals. Long offseason and lots of reflection after, and hard work, St Joe's won 1 fciac and 3 state championships the next 3 years.

Staples team should admit that they underachieved if they want a rallying cry to win when it really counts.

St Joe's Parent
              Made much easier with the inherent advantages your school has over all the public schools.

Comment

1. You're not that smart, though impressed you can google idiom
                2. Your intent is clear. I am happy to post my name how about you? Heck, I would be happy to show up at your house and have a discussion with your kids and mine, Or are you one of those guys who are only tough when they are anonymous?

You are clueless as to my intentions.

I don't see your name here. Merely a boast about posting it.

You are not invited to my house.

Where have I tried to be "tough"? I merely have pointed out how you have clearly misinterpreted an idiom, in such a way that is raises a question about your level of personal bigotry.

You don't need to know my name and I have no need to learn yours. But I'm all for the site admins requiring contributors here to log in to participate.

Comment

Made much easier with the inherent advantages your school has over all the public schools.
                  Most of the public schools are 3 times the size of St Joe's. They should be able to find 20 quality soccer players to be very competitive. The public schools that usually get impacted due to loss of talent going to St Joe's are Trumbull, Masuk(Monroe),and Shelton (to a lesser extent).

Comment

Most of the public schools are 3 times the size of St Joe's. They should be able to find 20 quality soccer players to be very competitive. The public schools that usually get impacted due to loss of talent going to St Joe's are Trumbull, Masuk(Monroe),and Shelton (to a lesser extent).

That's not relevant to the point that the playing field is systemically unequal.

Comment

That's not relevant to the point that the playing field is systemically unequal.
                      How is that not relevant when most of the public schools are 3 times the size of St Joe's, with a much larger pool of players? Is the playing field not leveled toward the public schools?

Stop whining. Tell your kid to work harder if she wants to win an FCIAC or a State championship.

Comment

I was raised out west, in a state that could fit 3 states the size of CT within it, maybe more.

To get on a bus and make a 50-75 mile drive to play a game was no real issue. We did it all the time.

The reasons for this are much more than merely ones of travel cost/distance.
                        Congratulations on your arduous HS travel schedule. What state did you live in? That may shed some light on the reasons you had to travel 50-75 miles for games.

Comment

Frankly, your crowing about this reinforces the systemic unfairness that the CIAC has created by allowing parochial schools to compete on equal footing with public schools. Any school that has the ability to recruit kids or pull kids from public school districts has a potentially inherent and unfair sports advantage, regardless of sport. The fact that some parochial schools do not dominate a sport is not relevant. The "potential" exists because they are not bound by the same restrictions that public schools must follow.

It's clearly seen with the prep schools, as they do not compete with public high school programs in the regular season or post-season. Whether that is the CIAC or the governing body of the prep schools that have decided this, it is a correct way of thinking.

The parochial schools need to play in the same arena, under the same rules, as the other schools they compete with. They should be all put in their own league together and play among themselves.
                          Then say goodbye to Trumbull and any other school with voAG or maritime
                          Any school with a program that kids can opt into from another town
                          Moot argument anyway because the CIAC doesn’t deem it unfair
                          Staples lost to Darien a similar public so they have zero to bitch about

Comment

Then say goodbye to Trumbull and any other school with voAG or maritime
                            Any school with a program that kids can opt into from another town
                            Moot argument anyway because the CIAC doesn’t deem it unfair
                            And Darien has more money than Westport and that really chaps their àsses.

Comment

Exactly! Similar public schools.

If they lost to a school with an inherent advantage, i.e. they recruit, then they have something to bitch about.

Comment

i think Staples had more 1st team selections last year- so stop whinning
                                BTW that Nat pool player usually didnt play many Fciac tourney games -thats right after camp and she was shut down
                                new to this debate, but JB played in the FCIAC final that st joes lost to Ridgefield. I do recall she didn't play the year they lost to New Canaan though. So I give you a partially Still, better than CNN, so congrats

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X