Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does High School divisions and league groupings work?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does High School divisions and league groupings work?

My son is a freshman at a div 4 high school out in Western Mass. In his team's "League" grouping there is 1 div 1 team, 1 div 3 team, and 3 div 4 teams. How does the entire Division and League thing work? I am new to all this and haven't been able to figure it out yet. In his League play his team has 3 games against the div 1 team, 3 games against the div 3 team, and 4 games against div 4 teams. Overall his team has 3 games against the div 1 team, 6 games against the div 3 teams, and 9 games against div 4 teams.

What determines which division the team is placed in, is it based off of school enrollment, or how well the team did the preceding year? Why are there no division 2 teams in Western Mass?

Why are teams in different divisions grouped in the same League group together?

How is it determined where the team is currently ranked and then placed come post season time? Is it based off of their League record, division record, or overall record?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    My son is a freshman at a div 4 high school out in Western Mass. In his team's "League" grouping there is 1 div 1 team, 1 div 3 team, and 3 div 4 teams. How does the entire Division and League thing work? I am new to all this and haven't been able to figure it out yet. In his League play his team has 3 games against the div 1 team, 3 games against the div 3 team, and 4 games against div 4 teams. Overall his team has 3 games against the div 1 team, 6 games against the div 3 teams, and 9 games against div 4 teams.

What determines which division the team is placed in, is it based off of school enrollment, or how well the team did the preceding year? Why are there no division 2 teams in Western Mass?

How is it determined where the team is currently ranked and then placed come post season time? Is it based off of their League record, division record, or overall record?
    Western Mass is so isolated that soccer is what it is. The eastern part of the state is the soccer power center.

Comment

Western Mass is so isolated that soccer is what it is. The eastern part of the state is the soccer power center.
      Pretty sure the town next door, West Springfield, won the Div 1 State Championship a couple years ago. So they can't be too far off the mark.

Comment

Divisions are based on enrollment, the leagues are often by proximity for convenience and the schools can set up their non league games. All the information is on the MIAA web site. Usually due to bigger player pool the larger school systems are stronger but that is not always the case.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        Working...
        X