Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Sounds like your coach is a slacker. everything you mentioned here the coach does or is, frankly, unnecessary.

If your club fluffs off the coaches work to a civilian than, yes, I would expect some compensation. And, I'd find a new club....
    Nah, pretty happy with our club, our coach and our awesome manager. But that’s why throwing $10-$20 for a managers gift is a no brainer. Every club/coach asks different things of their managers.

Comment

Nah, pretty happy with our club, our coach and our awesome manager. But that’s why throwing $10-$20 for a managers gift is a no brainer. Every club/coach asks different things of their managers.
      Just yanking your chain. As long as it gets worked out in the end and everyone's happy, that's all that matters.

Comment

Clearly you aren’t in recruiting years of a top team. Brochures are huge part of it.

Team Manager for our HS age team handles:

All paperwork collection and roster registration/pass cards for start of season
        All tournament registration and paperwork
        Most hotel room blocking and coordination
        Coordinates, prints and hands out team recruiting brochures to college coaches at showcases
        Makes sure coach has rosters and cards for league games and reports scores after home games and some tournaments
        Coordinates extras like team video packages, photos at tournaments
        All Team Snap activities including contact info, scheduling, and any emails, as well as real time score updates of all games
        Team Fee collection and coach reimbursement tracking and distribution
        Facilitate coach to team information/updates
        And often coordinates optional team dinners at tournaments and at end of season

And all that for a uniform credit! Yes I think an end of gift to your team manager would be very appreciated.
        Are your team managers the club owners too?! Collecting team fees and reimbursing coaches, etc. sounds like something the club should be doing. Coach and club must be laughing their way to the bank if your team managers run the club for them for free.

Comment

Are your team managers the club owners too?! Collecting team fees and reimbursing coaches, etc. sounds like something the club should be doing. Coach and club must be laughing their way to the bank if your team managers run the club for them for free.
          One club I managed for my role was to schedule games, sent communications to parents and the coach about games, events, hotels etc. No money collection at all and I wouldn't want to. It was a small club with minimal staff and a very good but absent minded coach. It was a decent amount of work but we got half off the fees. Next club was much bigger and all the manager really did was plan team dinners or other more social things with no $ off. The club had staff that did all the scheduling etc. The coach sent out a newsletter once a week to review what happened the prior week and what was coming up. Honestly it was more professional and kept me out of the inevitable politics, parents trying to use me to get closer to the coach etc.

Comment

Not tuition fees, the slush fund fees for coaches travel expenses. Geez you guys are thick.

Comment

Not tuition fees, the slush fund fees for coaches travel expenses. Geez you guys are thick.
              Coach travel expenses should be part of your fees. Clubs trick people by having low fees then adding on multiple extras during the year. It gets you to the same place as paying a higher but all-inclusive fee. The only exception would be if a team agreed to add on an extra tournament that wasn't included. Even then no one who isn't an employee of the club should be touching parent money except maybe for a team dinner or coach gift. Most people are honest but all it takes is one douche bag making a baseless accusation to destroy team chemistry. Had that happen once on a different sport team and it was awful.

Comment

Coach travel expenses should be part of your fees. Clubs trick people by having low fees then adding on multiple extras during the year. It gets you to the same place as paying a higher but all-inclusive fee. The only exception would be if a team agreed to add on an extra tournament that wasn't included. Even then no one who isn't an employee of the club should be touching parent money except maybe for a team dinner or coach gift. Most people are honest but all it takes is one douche bag making a baseless accusation to destroy team chemistry. Had that happen once on a different sport team and it was awful.
                Different subject altogether. Start your own thread 😉.

Comment

Different subject altogether. Start your own thread 😉.
                  Half the post was about managers 😤. Managers shouldn't be collecting club $. One time a club wanted me to collect over due fees. No thanks. I'm not a debt collector. I don't want to hear family sob stories.

Comment

Half the post was about managers 😤. Managers shouldn't be collecting club $. One time a club wanted me to collect over due fees. No thanks. I'm not a debt collector. I don't want to hear family sob stories.
                    I fell for that one ONCE and agreed to approach two late-paying parents. Backfired big time because, although I was as subtle as possible ("Hey, the club asked me to see when you might be able to get your kid's payment in?") both parents were offended, quit the club, and still give me the hairy eyebrow when I see them around town. Best for all to keep volunteer parent managers out of the finances.

Comment

Sounds like your coach is a slacker. everything you mentioned here the coach does or is, frankly, unnecessary.

If your club fluffs off the coaches work to a civilian than, yes, I would expect some compensation. And, I'd find a new club....
                      Not from around here, but the manager's tasks that were enumerated by the poster (brochures, checking team snap, coordinating team meals, etc.) have nothing to do with coaching. Coaches coach, the managers do this. Maybe that is why my kid's team/club is successful. And we appreciate the hard work of the coaches and the managers who have different roles on and off the field.

Btw - my kid's club is considered one of the top in the country. Must be doing something right. All the kids get recruited including those not top tier or not on the top teams. The coaches work to make sure THAT happens not making sure the scores get reported properly or that the refs get paid.

Comment

From another state. Have had great volunteer managers until the last one. Travel went way up about 30% while quality went down. Like cheap store bought microwave meals eaten in the hotel instead of eating out. No break down accounting of where all the money went and no refunds of any leftover money like previous managers. There was a parent rumor that she must be pocketing the extra money! Was always happy to give end of season manager money until that last one.

Comment

From another state. Have had great volunteer managers until the last one. Travel went way up about 30% while quality went down. Like cheap store bought microwave meals eaten in the hotel instead of eating out. No break down accounting of where all the money went and no refunds of any leftover money like previous managers. There was a parent rumor that she must be pocketing the extra money! Was always happy to give end of season manager money until that last one.
                          Shame. Also not from here. Our team manager would have meals sent in, catered, from various restaurants for our team and not just pasta, but beef and veggie options. Manager would make the payment necessary and any tip.

And, if we went out as a team, the manager would make arrangements for a place in the restaurant where the kids and parents could all sit together. A lot of work went into this. And, would make sure the kids were registered to get tickets for Cup games when we went to CASL or games at showcase events for US Soccer when we went to the GDA showcases. And more....

I never questioned because if there was $10 left over our manager deserved it and then some. You didn't have to participate as a teammate.

Comment

Our team manager is compensated with an overinflated sense of importance and ego.

Comment

We might be from the same state! Horrible manager but used her role to effect players on the team so everyone hated her but was too scared to say anything. Total helicopter mommy too. Felt so bad for her daughter!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X