Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Refs out there: When is a shoulder a foul?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    if someone blatantly rams someone with his shoulder not even going for the ball in that instant, is it a foul?

If his elbow goes up like in this video, is it a foul? When one shoulders someone, it's natural sometimes for the elbow to go up. I don't think it's a foul.

http://sendvid.com/vjncjus3

In DA games I see refs call situations like in the above video a foul at least half the time. There is no consistency.
    I say play on for this video. Minimal force even though player in red is in an inferior position.

Comment

You lack a basic understanding of the concepts of being a good Referee.

" Obstruction " ? Really ?
      Obstruction is one of the easiest judgments. 1) is the ball within playing distance 2) is the player making a reasonable effort in his play for the ball 3) was contact incidental and intentional.

Comment

Obstruction is one of the easiest judgments. 1) is the ball within playing distance 2) is the player making a reasonable effort in his play for the ball 3) was contact incidental and intentional.
        If there is contact, it is not " obstruction" .

Comment

If there is contact, it is not " obstruction" .
          Not necessarily true. If the player closest to the ball slows down and ball is no longer playable and subsequently makes contact to impede another player it may be obstruction. For point 3 I was referring to incidental contact with two players making reasonable effort on the ball. I’ve gone games with zero obstruction calls. Others with a handful.

Comment

Not necessarily true. If the player closest to the ball slows down and ball is no longer playable and subsequently makes contact to impede another player it may be obstruction. For point 3 I was referring to incidental contact with two players making reasonable effort on the ball. I’ve gone games with zero obstruction calls. Others with a handful.
            Contact is a foul. Obstruction is for times when there isn't any contact.

I could count on one hand the number of " obstruction" calls I have made over the years.

Regardless, if it helps the Referee control the game , that's what is important. A foul is a foul ,one way or another. That's' how I always approached it.

Comment

Contact is a foul. Obstruction is for times when there isn't any contact.

I could count on one hand the number of " obstruction" calls I have made over the years.

Regardless, if it helps the Referee control the game , that's what is important. A foul is a foul ,one way or another. That's' how I always approached it.
              I’m talking about when a player slows down and the player behind runs into him. Sure it’s a foul but I consider it technically to be obstruction. And yes it doesn’t happen often.

Comment

I’m talking about when a player slows down and the player behind runs into him. Sure it’s a foul but I consider it technically to be obstruction. And yes it doesn’t happen often.
                I hope you don't think it is a foul for slowing down . Contact from behind is a foul , on the person running into the back of the player.

Comment

I hope you don't think it is a foul for slowing down . Contact from behind is a foul , on the person running into the back of the player.
                  right--and smart players can sense when someone is coming behind them too fast and will slow down to draw the foul. nothing wrong with that.

Comment

If the player shielding the ball is too far from the ball and working the attacking player only, it is obstruction. They do not have the right to work to impede any player from getting to the ball if they are not playing the ball themselves (or it become non-playable). So, if player A is shielding the ball and the ball gets 4 or 5 yards away and then player B races in to one side of Player A and A then jumps in front of him, it is obstruction, even if player B hammers player A. The concept of "boxing out" only applies to a small area around where the ball is.

Comment

If the player shielding the ball is too far from the ball and working the attacking player only, it is obstruction. They do not have the right to work to impede any player from getting to the ball if they are not playing the ball themselves (or it become non-playable). So, if player A is shielding the ball and the ball gets 4 or 5 yards away and then player B races in to one side of Player A and A then jumps in front of him, it is obstruction, even if player B hammers player A. The concept of "boxing out" only applies to a small area around where the ball is.
                      You can't be serious. There is no right to " possession" in soccer. No one player owns the ball at any given time. It is always up for grabs , as long as the subsequent actions are within the LOTG.

Comment

You can't be serious. There is no right to " possession" in soccer. No one player owns the ball at any given time. It is always up for grabs , as long as the subsequent actions are within the LOTG.
                        Op here, the only exception is the Keeper. In the above case I was speaking of play among field players, as that was being discussed.

Comment

Correct.

Comment

Wrong - boxing out within playing distance is legal all the time - see it often when a defender boxes out a ball so it goes out for a goal kick.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                            Auto-Saved
                            x
                            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                            x
                            Working...
                            X