Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Finally, someone that sees it for what it all is. Thank you for being one of the only individuals on here capable of seeing the entire picture.
    agreed....thanks.

Comment

There is a longstanding issue--and I'm speaking generally here, not of any local soccer club/entity or even about soccer specifically--about community nonprofits competing with for-profit entities.

Many nonprofit organizations have one or more areas of revenue-producing activity, which they operate to make money--which is then funneled into some charitable work or cause.

Sometimes, for-profit entities figure this out--and then compete against the non-profit in the revenue producing activity, but rather than using the revenues to fund the charitable work, instead keep the money.

In the hospital business, for instance--large hospitals make money on schedule inpatient surgeries and such. They lose money operating an emergency room. There have been attempts by some to move more and more of the lucracitve surgery business away from the major medical centers (which are required, both by their bylaws and often by their license terms, to operate an emergency room) into smaller surgical centers that don't have an ER, and thus more profits for the operators. Since medicine is highly regulated, such attempts are often beaten back by state medical boards and such, but lots of people view charitable causes as a market inefficiency that can be exploited.

Many of the legacy nonprofit soccer clubs have large recreational programs, or at least significant investments in Division 1/2 soccer, for kids who love the game but who will never be good enough to play in premier, let alone be considered for ODP or TA or whatever. These programs are cheaper to operate than premier (don't need an A licensed coach, little need to travel, 2 nights of training/week are adequate), but also don't come with parents looking to throw big money into things like personal training. A few recent entities (ADF comes to mind) have a different business model, focusing only on elite players and upselling them.

Is this a threat to established clubs, especially those that view non-elite soccer as a key part of their mission? Hard to say. It's often alleged that the subsidy goes the other way--that the kids on the C team are paying for the A team (same base club fees at most places, but your coach will not likely have an A license or be name-brand), so it's hard to say. It seems that much of the complaining about ADF or SCA comes from other elite programs/coaches, worrying about their players being poached, rather than clubs like PCU worrying that if the Red team up and leaves, they won't be able to pay the bills for PYSA any more.
      Simple solution for them, if they actually want into the USYS/OYSA 'club market'become a non profit club.

For profits aren't allowed in the OYSA.

ADF did it. Why can't SCA figure it out?

Comment

Simple solution for them, if they actually want into the USYS/OYSA 'club market'become a non profit club.

For profits aren't allowed in the OYSA.

ADF did it. Why can't SCA figure it out?
        maybe they have figured it out. whatever is best for them. why does it matter for you?

Comment

maybe they have figured it out. whatever is best for them. why does it matter for you?
          ADF got their start, remember, partnering with IFC (or LAFC, as it was then known). They had more financial backing, courtesy of one Lucius Malfoy, but essentially they married a for-profit personal training business with a non-profit club that had traditionally been a vehicle for underprivileged kids.

And they did it while ******* off one of the more powerful clubs in the area, recruiting players that had been referred to them for personal training.

The difference? I suspect that a) OYSA was still recovering from the OPL split, and wasn't in any position to tell any clubs "no"; and b) this was something new that caught the established players by surprised.

But this time around, OYSA is wise to this ruse. My assumption is that ADF is being allowed to continue under a grandfather clause; OYSA would probably be within its rights to demand that JC either be a principle of the club or of the training business but not both; and that having a member club have such a tight relationship with an LLC that happens to be owned by its director of coaching is an unacceptable conflict of interest.

But so far, OYSA doesn't appear to have the cajones to do that.

Comment

I registered my kid with them and was told we would be in the OYSA leagues. Now it seems that it not the case. Frustrating as we are 3 mos. into this.

Why do you care about our individual situation? Curious.

Comment

I registered my kid with them and was told we would be in the OYSA leagues. Now it seems that it not the case. Frustrating as we are 3 mos. into this.

If you haven't paid for the year, quit. If they demand you pay for the year, refuse. Since they are not an oysa club, they can't pull your kid's card and demand payment, or otherwise prevent you from registering elsewhere.

If you have paid for the year, demand your money back. Pro-rated. Let them know they haven't delivered on their end of the bargain. You might need to go to small claims court.

Hopefully you can find a club with an opening at the right level for your child.

Comment

If you haven't paid for the year, quit. If they demand you pay for the year, refuse. Since they are not an oysa club, they can't pull your kid's card and demand payment, or otherwise prevent you from registering elsewhere.

If you have paid for the year, demand your money back. Pro-rated. Let them know they haven't delivered on their end of the bargain. You might need to go to small claims court.

Hopefully you can find a club with an opening at the right level for your child.
                How about asking what the plan is first. You may be surprised what you hear......and be quite satisfied.

Comment

post the plan

How about asking what the plan is first. You may be surprised what you hear......and be quite satisfied.
                  Why doesn't SCA just post what leagues they will be playing in ?

Comment

Why do we care? You just invested a tremendous amount of money in a club that clearly has no plan, no infrastructure, no history, and no direction. SCA is all fart, no ****.

We care because your player's development is now being hindered by a couple of people trying to make a quick, easy buck.

If soccer chance had all the answers and they were actually the next big thing, then we wouldn't be bashing them. But 2 grand for "high level, intense training" with 0 league games is obviously not a benefit for the players involved.

I'm a parent myself and I'm upset at this whole thing because I can't imagine how upset I would be if I trusted a club to do what was right for my child, and then 3 months later, find out that this club doesn't even offer a league season in Oregon...

I honestly hope your situation improves and I hope that your child has a positive playing experience at a different club.

Comment

I heard your promise or what you now say was a plan;
                      play in the OYSA like all youth clubs in Oregon.

Then I heard this was changing 3 months into said plan, hence the surprise.

Satisfied? Did you seriously just ask me that you tool.

Comment

In fairness to SCA, that probably WAS the plan. They assumed that OYSA would allow them to spin up a sham non-profit, and/or hook up with IFC, like OYSA has allowed in the past.

Comment

your nonsense has grown to be tiring. what you heard, say you heard, think you heard is irrelevant. you have nothing to do with sca. you have no knowledge of what this club is doing or not doing, what they have informed members/families, or what they have not informed their members/families. you simply complain, name call and post stupid nonsensical things, anonymously. so again, why do you care? actually, don't bother replying. i bet you can't hold back, can you? you state you are a parent that cares about other families. nonsense. you are the tool with your ongoing rants about nothing. it's embarrassing and ugly. i feel sorry for you. well, not really.

Comment

Why do we care? You just invested a tremendous amount of money in a club that clearly has no plan, no infrastructure, no history, and no direction. SCA is all fart, no ****.

We care because your player's development is now being hindered by a couple of people trying to make a quick, easy buck.

If soccer chance had all the answers and they were actually the next big thing, then we wouldn't be bashing them. But 2 grand for "high level, intense training" with 0 league games is obviously not a benefit for the players involved.

I'm a parent myself and I'm upset at this whole thing because I can't imagine how upset I would be if I trusted a club to do what was right for my child, and then 3 months later, find out that this club doesn't even offer a league season in Oregon...

I honestly hope your situation improves and I hope that your child has a positive playing experience at a different club.
                            Who on earth is "we"?. There is no "we". It's just your stupid rants.

Comment

Why doesn't SCA just post what leagues they will be playing in ?
                              If you care so much, then ask them.

Comment

I have asked them

If you care so much, then ask them.
                                I did ask them. Didn't get an answer.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X