Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    They are all a mess. Thought so cal clubs were going to do own league. NE clubs should do same. 10 in the north. 10 in the South. Maybe a final in the spring for reward for winners. Two cross over showcases..one spring, one fall. Invite the college coaches Done.

The NEST league. North east sanity time league. Raise up these chicks and come college boot them out if the nest to fly. Save us all alot it wasted time and money.any
    Love it.

Get ECNL to climb off their throne and let's do it. N'East GDA would end tomorrow.

Comment

the solution is fine, but marketing from the other side wins out.

Just look at the minions on here every day doing their due dilligence to try to bring it down. It's a lot of work for the foot soldiers out there.
      Say what you want, I've talked to a few families that have left SSS because they didn't want to do DA next year. GDA is a terrible choice for the vast majority of players: give up high school sports, spend more money on travel for a mediocre to poor league, FIFA sub rules that have nothing to do with development and in fact impede development, the same coaches and players that were NPL (or NEP) before GDA.

To each his/her own, but it really isn't even a choice. Scorpions are benefiting from SSS's choice to go DA right now, and that is how the market works. Three years from now, we'll see if GDA is what the market wants on the girls side, my guess is no.

Comment

Say what you want, I've talked to a few families that have left SSS because they didn't want to do DA next year. GDA is a terrible choice for the vast majority of players: give up high school sports, spend more money on travel for a mediocre to poor league, FIFA sub rules that have nothing to do with development and in fact impede development, the same coaches and players that were NPL (or NEP) before GDA.

Actually, quite the opposite.

HS only impedes player development. There isn't a single credible argument that says otherwise. If your kids need it for social development, fine. Sad they need soccer for that, but go for it.

As for sub rules, again, getting yanked every time you screw up and get screamed at or are tired vs. learning to play through it actually impedes player development as well.

The only reason why one would want free-flowing subs is to keep the obnoxiously large rosters happy.

Comment

HS only impedes player development. There isn't a single credible argument that says otherwise. If your kids need it for social development, fine. Sad they need soccer for that, but go for it.

As for sub rules, again, getting yanked every time you screw up and get screamed at or are tired vs. learning to play through it actually impedes player development as well.

The only reason why one would want free-flowing subs is to keep the obnoxiously large rosters happy.
          Overwhelming majority of girls like and want to play HS.
          Who is getting yanked on every error? do better.
          Rosters.. some validity to this point.

Yes ECNL boxes others out, it's their business. Why should they share?
          DA tried to address a gap in the market and failed to do simple market research.

Comment

Speak for yourself. As a freshmen, my D played varsity as a starter. She had a club coach as her HS coach and 1/2 of the team played club. Playing against 16 and 17yo opponents for your school and community, getting your name and recognition in the paper, and learning to deal with a 6 day per week schedule while juggling school and social commitments was a great experience for her. The similarities between HS soccer and College Soccer are too numerous to count, much more so than DA to College. You aren't doing your D any favors limiting her to DA and skipping HS sports. Heck, many of the HS standouts also played basketball, swim, track, and lacrosse. You won't be doing that in DA.

No one has a lock on player development, especially the DA. You tell me what credentials and training the coaches at SSS or NEFC have in DA that they didn't have when they coached NPL/NEP. That's right, there is no difference. Those coaches didn't magically become great developers of talent overnight. It has more to do with the player and opportunities to get touches on the ball while pushing their speed of play and physical development. Guess what, playing up a year or two does wonders for that, which is what HS offers and is what college requires. Ask the SSS NT players whether playing up was beneficial.

As to the sub rules, players develop being on the field. No one benefits when you can't sub back in after being subbed off. Roster size is a function of clubs wanting more revenue and the tournament circuit, which requires large rosters to be able to play in 3-5 matches over 2-4 days. Not to mention injuries and other commitments at the older ages.

Bottom line, GDA offers nothing for my player that she doesn't already get from ECNL, ODP, and HS. Feel free to do what is best for your kid, but mine is well on track for D1 college soccer without giving up any of the above, and most of the kids I know are similar. What do you tell the DA kids in a few years when they end up in the same programs as ECNL or NPL, but had to give up outside activities in HS?

Comment

Speak for yourself. As a freshmen, my D played varsity as a starter. She had a club coach as her HS coach and 1/2 of the team played club. Playing against 16 and 17yo opponents for your school and community, getting your name and recognition in the paper, and learning to deal with a 6 day per week schedule while juggling school and social commitments was a great experience for her. The similarities between HS soccer and College Soccer are too numerous to count, much more so than DA to College. You aren't doing your D any favors limiting her to DA and skipping HS sports. Heck, many of the HS standouts also played basketball, swim, track, and lacrosse. You won't be doing that in DA.

No one has a lock on player development, especially the DA. You tell me what credentials and training the coaches at SSS or NEFC have in DA that they didn't have when they coached NPL/NEP. That's right, there is no difference. Those coaches didn't magically become great developers of talent overnight. It has more to do with the player and opportunities to get touches on the ball while pushing their speed of play and physical development. Guess what, playing up a year or two does wonders for that, which is what HS offers and is what college requires. Ask the SSS NT players whether playing up was beneficial.

As to the sub rules, players develop being on the field. No one benefits when you can't sub back in after being subbed off. Roster size is a function of clubs wanting more revenue and the tournament circuit, which requires large rosters to be able to play in 3-5 matches over 2-4 days. Not to mention injuries and other commitments at the older ages.

Bottom line, GDA offers nothing for my player that she doesn't already get from ECNL, ODP, and HS. Feel free to do what is best for your kid, but mine is well on track for D1 college soccer without giving up any of the above, and most of the kids I know are similar. What do you tell the DA kids in a few years when they end up in the same programs as ECNL or NPL, but had to give up outside activities in HS?

PREACH!!!!! Someone finally gets it!! Thank you! Here's the deal, there isn't just one way of doing something, but multiple ways. If someone tells you its only one way, then you run as fast as you can.

Comment

Speak for yourself. As a freshmen, my D played varsity as a starter. She had a club coach as her HS coach and 1/2 of the team played club.
                So?

Playing against 16 and 17yo opponents for your school and community, getting your name and recognition in the paper, and learning to deal with a 6 day per week schedule while juggling school and social commitments was a great experience for her.

Why do you need to play HS soccer to be a valued member of the community? Why can't that be done by playing an doing some other activity? The need for playing in front of peers to gain some sort of standing in a school is odd. Shouldn't need sports for that.

The similarities between HS soccer and College Soccer are too numerous to count, much more so than DA to College. You aren't doing your D any favors limiting her to DA and skipping HS sports. Heck, many of the HS standouts also played basketball, swim, track, and lacrosse. You won't be doing that in DA.

Go ahead and count the similarities. Not that it matters, but it's HER preference to not play HS soccer, not mine. But, go ahead and explain.

And, why can't you play other sports in HS? There's no rule against it.

No, nobody has a lock on player development. Yet, above, you seem to indicate otherwise. If you think the training and oversight of those sessions are exactly the same as pre-GDA, then I really don't know what to tell you. Because, it's not. Totally different atmosphere. Is there some rule that only HS players can play up a year or two? Not even sure what that even means. If your good, you can play up.

Just difference in philosophy. I know Stars players who get yanked off after 5 minutes if they screw up a single time. You tell me how that helps. No, I'd rather my club considers the development and ensure a tight roster with the most available playing time and making players earn it. It's competitive, and should be. Want to play? Earn it. Make a mistake? Deal with the consequences while you are on the field. I do like how you structure your argument that you need a large roster because of all these commitments outside the game. I agree...if you are the type of player who doesn't want to just ball with the team, then a tight roster isn't for you. Much better to take a few rests during the game, maybe miss this weekend's game for a sleepover. Have at it.

Not everyone gets a roster spot because they can afford it and get guaranteed playing time while playing in stupid tournaments all the time. Playing 5 matches in 3 days is some badge of honor, while scientific studies show it's the the worst thing for a developing kid. But, go ahead...show that medal in your FB after wining somebumfvcktournament.

Bottomline, ECNL and HS (won't even justify ODP with a mention) offers nothing for my player that she doesn't already get from GDA. Feel free to do what is best for your kid, but mine is well on track for D1 college soccer and gladly gave up all of the above. And, most kids that are really serious about playing are similar.

What will I tell my kid (I won't speak for all) in a few years when the end up in the same programs as ECNL or NPL, but are glad they avoided the HS trap and enjoyed all aspects of HS?

"Great job kiddo. Really proud of the hard work you put in. You earned this."

Comment

PREACH!!!!! Someone finally gets it!! Thank you! Here's the deal, there isn't just one way of doing something, but multiple ways. If someone tells you its only one way, then you run as fast as you can.
                  Yet, you say "PREACH" to someone on a full rant indicating there's only one way to do something.

The post you quoted is exactly opposite of what you just wrote.

Comment

the solution is fine, but marketing from the other side wins out.

Just look at the minions on here every day doing their due dilligence to try to bring it down. It's a lot of work for the foot soldiers out there.
                    Disagree. Their solution was a league that was entirely too big for market demand at the time of rollout. If they had either started regionally or with few clubs or with just the younger players who didn't have HS decisions to make they could have built it up slowly and proven themselves. Proving themselves leads to greater demand by clubs and players and the league become bigger. Instead they went whole hog which required too many clubs and players who had no business being in DA to fill gaps.

Comment

DA tried to address a gap in the market and failed to do simple market research.
                      Plenty of DA rosters are very large and limited sub rules mean plenty won't see the field.

I completely agree USSF did not fully understand the market place when they entered. They underestimated ECNL as an opponent, didn't understand what clubs want, and misread the HS piece. Once some good clubs dropped out their solution was to add more low quality clubs.

Comment

I agree with much of what you said here, except that my kid is on D1 college track without GDA and without ECNL. Imagine that! By choosing to play NPL, she gets to play HS soccer, 2 other HS sports, and I don’t have to spend a bajillion dollars traveling every other weekend. My kid, my family and my wallet is all better for it. Was there extra ID camps and supplemental training needed, yeah... but it was worth it to not have to sacrifice all that was important to make it happen.

Comment

Disagree. Their solution was a league that was entirely too big for market demand at the time of rollout. If they had either started regionally or with few clubs or with just the younger players who didn't have HS decisions to make they could have built it up slowly and proven themselves. Proving themselves leads to greater demand by clubs and players and the league become bigger. Instead they went whole hog which required too many clubs and players who had no business being in DA to fill gaps.
                          Don't necessarily disagree. But, I also do understand their reasoning.

1) Get as close to every player in the country as you possibly, logistically, feasibly can. That comes with a downside, as you are going to get some clubs that shouldn't be there, but on the flip side they may catch a player who is locked out from playing in some other leagues because they are in an area that has been locked out. Some of the leadership of those leagues felt it would be more beneficial to some of the clubs' bottom-line to put in two teams vs. opening it to more competition.

2) Agree with the HS. Never going to be popular at the older ages, and likely will gain more traction at the younger. It would've been better to just start it out at 2004 age (last year) to begin with.

Comment

I agree with much of what you said here, except that my kid is on D1 college track without GDA and without ECNL. Imagine that! By choosing to play NPL, she gets to play HS soccer, 2 other HS sports, and I don’t have to spend a bajillion dollars traveling every other weekend. My kid, my family and my wallet is all better for it. Was there extra ID camps and supplemental training needed, yeah... but it was worth it to not have to sacrifice all that was important to make it happen.
                            That's great. t's harder, but not impossible. I expect there's lots of stories of the same since, well, any kid going into college now (or already there) likely didn't spend much, if any, time in GDA because it didn't exist and if you aren't within a logistically-beneficial place for an ECNL club, you did what you could. Kudos.

I have a good friend of mine who's daughter played only NPL and HS, and she'll be at FSU next year.

But, he'll also tell you that while he's glad it worked out, if presented the same opportunity before HS vs. later, he likely would've gone the GDA route. It just came too late in her "career" for it to be a viable option.

Comment

Time will tell, meaning they need to catch the kids before they get there, not after they are in. Since it's so young as a league, can't really tell for a few years.

Who gets yanked? I know Stars kids who get yanked after 5 minutes of time consistently.

And, yes, ECNL boxed others out. It's their business, which is true. So, don't look at others as they try to find a way to go beyond what NPL, or worse, offered. ECNL would rather drive 5 hours to play the same level of competition that is available to them an hour away. DA is trying to address a gap created by ECNL.

Your points are valid, but it also shows why GDA is trying to exist.

Comment

That's great. t's harder, but not impossible. I expect there's lots of stories of the same since, well, any kid going into college now (or already there) likely didn't spend much, if any, time in GDA because it didn't exist and if you aren't within a logistically-beneficial place for an ECNL club, you did what you could. Kudos.

I have a good friend of mine who's daughter played only NPL and HS, and she'll be at FSU next year.

But, he'll also tell you that while he's glad it worked out, if presented the same opportunity before HS vs. later, he likely would've gone the GDA route. It just came too late in her "career" for it to be a viable option.
                                She has presented with both options already, and has declined them both. We decided the current path was our best option, and provided the least amount of sacrifice for the same amount of reward.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X