X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Ratings up over 6%
    Up in Europe, down in the USA. If I were the WCC folks, I would be hoping for more than 6%.

Comment

Saw a note in social media that Abby W's most favorite goal was in stoppage time vs. Brazil in 2010 WC. That was a memorable game and a lesson in time wasting with the fake injury and the Brazilian player being carted off the field only to jump up on the sidelines. And the US comeback.

And the US vs. Canada classic was in the 2012 Olympics semifinal. Not WC, but agree, it was a classic. The CA GK was penalized for holding the ball too long and allowed US to get back in the game for the ultimate 4-3 win. It was a Sinclair vs. Rapinoe shoot out (each had 3 goals) and Alex Morgan had the stoppage time game winner.

Those game mentioned were heart stoppers like the 1999 WC win. Even the Olympic loss to Sweden in PK's was memorable.
      You thought the 0-0 snooze fest with China was exciting? Thank God Christine Lilly happened to find herself in front of a goal bound shot or it was a 1-0 China win. The sports bra was the only memorable thing.

Comment

Up in Europe, down in the USA. If I were the WCC folks, I would be hoping for more than 6%.
        Part of that might be time zone driven - games there are on late afternoon/night. Not here. Last round was in Canada so time zones as US viewers. No doubt adding new teams has helped build that figure as well.

Comment

Part of that might be time zone driven - games there are on late afternoon/night. Not here. Last round was in Canada so time zones as US viewers. No doubt adding new teams has helped build that figure as well.
          All those 4K TVs in Nigeria, Cameroon, etc...

Comment

The French ladies look pretty.........sharp

Comment

You really need to travel more.

Comment

Chile GK saved their behinds. Could have been double the score but she had some clutch saves. Also, Ellis was trying out other players. Everyone has now played in the WC except the backup GKs. Starting GK has been picking daisies with nearly zero action on our end. That won't keep her ready for when we finally do get a more formidable opponent.
                US will have no problem. They didn’t even play their starters against Chile. Game was 3-0 and could have been worse if not for a stellar goalkeeper.
                Boring

Comment

This isn't just a US show at the WC. While we may find some of the games boring, there are teams that haven't participated at all or in 20 years and are making some noise like Italy. And look at Thailand who came back and scored vs. Sweden. Others around the world are tuning in to watch these matches. That's a good step for soccer and the women's game.
                  Absolutely agree. This just proves that rankings matter and that the system of regional play that leads up to the World Cup and allows for inter-regional friendlies is ranking teams well and improving the game worldwide. There is a gap between a #1 team and #20 ranked team, but those gaps are getting smaller as time goes on. It’s easier to appreciate why the teams that make the quarterfinals are “top” when you watch these group and knockout rounds. There are literally hundreds of countries with women’s national teams, we are only seeing the tip of the iceberg with these top 24. This gives you an idea just how many teams needed to be eliminated to these 24 teams: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...football_teams

Comment

Groups A, E, & F

In these 3 groups, the two haves both beat their two have nots handily. The combined GD of these games was 37, meaning the haves averaged a 3 goal margin of victory. And some of the haves rested their starters. There will be little suspense in game 3 of groups E & F. They are both in by a mile. Group stage is largely meaningless other than embarrassing some of the weaker teams. I’m sure Thailand folks are eager to fund their team more after such an exhilarating tournament.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wwc+...kglk;st;fp;1;;

Comment

You thought the 0-0 snooze fest with China was exciting? Thank God Christine Lilly happened to find herself in front of a goal bound shot or it was a 1-0 China win. The sports bra was the only memorable thing.
                      Okay. I was a kid then. I thought it was great.
                      But the other recent games mentioned by the poster were memorable.

Comment

Okay. I was a kid then. I thought it was great.
                        But the other recent games mentioned by the poster were memorable.
                        That 1999 Chinese had demolished a strong Norway team in the semis at Foxboro(I was there). USA was fortunate to win that final. This year’s China team isn’t as good but they are similar with a tenacious defense and a dangerous counterattack. Germany was fortunate to escape with a narrow win. China will likely get a #3 seed. The USA would do well not to draw them in the first knockout round.

Comment

In these 3 groups, the two haves both beat their two have nots handily. The combined GD of these games was 37, meaning the haves averaged a 3 goal margin of victory. And some of the haves rested their starters. There will be little suspense in game 3 of groups E & F. They are both in by a mile. Group stage is largely meaningless other than embarrassing some of the weaker teams. I’m sure Thailand folks are eager to fund their team more after such an exhilarating tournament.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wwc+...kglk;st;fp;1;;
                          Remove Thailand’s 13-0 loss to the US and that 37 GD and 3 goal average loss drops considerably.

Comment

That 1999 Chinese had demolished a strong Norway team in the semis at Foxboro(I was there). USA was fortunate to win that final. This year’s China team isn’t as good but they are similar with a tenacious defense and a dangerous counterattack. Germany was fortunate to escape with a narrow win. China will likely get a #3 seed. The USA would do well not to draw them in the first knockout round.
                            The US has beaten the Chinese a couple times recently. China isn’t the same team they were in 1999. Sun Wen who got the Golden Boot with 7 goals is long retired. Japan, the Korea’s and other Asian teams have invested heavily so that China is only ranked #5 regionally and #15 worldwide coming into the WC. I’m more worried about Spain or France in the next rounds.

Comment

The US has beaten the Chinese a couple times recently. China isn’t the same team they were in 1999. Sun Wen who got the Golden Boot with 7 goals is long retired. Japan, the Korea’s and other Asian teams have invested heavily so that China is only ranked #5 regionally and #15 worldwide coming into the WC. I’m more worried about Spain or France in the next rounds.
                              I was talking about sleeper #3 seeds the USA might draw in the found of 16. Clearly the tournament gets serious starting in the quarterfinals.

Comment

Brazil vs Italy up next. This should be a good one!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X