Pulisic " Blueprint"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JK told players if you want to go pro don't go to college but play internationally - which is funny because his kid plays at Stanford I think. Anyway, there seems to ha e been a slight uptick in players trying this. Still not many but baby steps. It's a big risk however since you lose college eligibility

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      JK told players if you want to go pro don't go to college but play internationally - which is funny because his kid plays at Stanford I think. Anyway, there seems to ha e been a slight uptick in players trying this. Still not many but baby steps. It's a big risk however since you lose college eligibility
      It's Cal. He's also reported to be going pro in Germany

Comment

Agree on the risk. Given how much college costs and how little MLS pays the average player, most people see it as an economic decision. If you're good enough (Pusilic) to go to Europe and actually make good money, go for it. But otherwise, you may be passing on $200k for education.

Comment

College is not the place to play if you want to develop. It's like high school soccer on steroids. International players are almost all pro players by age 18, and even younger they're practically not in school anyway. College soccer, even at the D1 level, is still a part time job. If college soccer was more like football and basketball, where there's tremendous coaching and resources then not everyone would feel the pressure to make the tradeoffs. There are more players going for a year or two then dropping out of college but they are almost always going MLS, not international. We have a long way tot go to churn out international quality players in bigger numbers and may never because of the focus on education. And that's ok because realistically still very few players will ever be pro material and should focus on school. But to develop the ones that could be professionals, the system should be much smaller and more focused. Maybe a residency program to ally parent concerns about education? Or financial guarantees (or just better pay) to help pay for college AFTER pursing a pro career? I don't know what the solution is but I don't think it's what we're doing now.

Comment

College is not the place to play if you want to develop. It's like high school soccer on steroids. International players are almost all pro players by age 18, and even younger they're practically not in school anyway. College soccer, even at the D1 level, is still a part time job. If college soccer was more like football and basketball, where there's tremendous coaching and resources then not everyone would feel the pressure to make the tradeoffs. There are more players going for a year or two then dropping out of college but they are almost always going MLS, not international. We have a long way tot go to churn out international quality players in bigger numbers and may never because of the focus on education. And that's ok because realistically still very few players will ever be pro material and should focus on school. But to develop the ones that could be professionals, the system should be much smaller and more focused. Maybe a residency program to ally parent concerns about education? Or financial guarantees (or just better pay) to help pay for college AFTER pursing a pro career? I don't know what the solution is but I don't think it's what we're doing now.
            I think what we are starting to see on the men's side is a two track system. College for the good but not international level player. Pro for the very good to international level players

Yes there will be some college player who make national teams but they are starting to be the exception. Also we will start to see some one and done or two and done players for the late bloomers.

Comment

I think what we are starting to see on the men's side is a two track system. College for the good but not international level player. Pro for the very good to international level players

Yes there will be some college player who make national teams but they are starting to be the exception. Also we will start to see some one and done or two and done players for the late bloomers.
              Probably also a split mls vs non mls DA

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              Working...
              X