Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second tryouts?

Last year I think I remember some clubs posting second tryouts. Is this to try and fill some teams where they are low on numbers? After attending tryouts this week, I'm not sure I like the choice of coach for my daughter's team. We were led to believe it would be a different person so we didn't tryout anywhere else. Sigh.....

South Shore Select posted on social media about a final chance to tryout "in an effort to fill a few remaining roster spots"

Comment

I'm seeing more emails about additional tryouts then I ever have before. Obviously needs will vary by club and team and some rosters will be full. But if there's a club or clubs you want to be considered for, I'd get on the phone now to see if they're doing supplemental tryouts. unfortunately you might have to wait until late August when practices start up to get your player seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        I'm seeing more emails about additional tryouts then I ever have before. Obviously needs will vary by club and team and some rosters will be full. But if there's a club or clubs you want to be considered for, I'd get on the phone now to see if they're doing supplemental tryouts. unfortunately you might have to wait until late August when practices start up to get your player seen.
        Right, a club may have only planned on having enough kids in an age group to fill two rosters, but end up getting 2.5 rosters worth of kids. Or, on the other hand, perhaps a half roster worth of kids ended up not accepting offers. They'll try to gather enough kids to fill out that last half roster, so will hold supplemental tryouts. I can imagine this happens quite often, as it's tough to judge just how many players will come to tryouts and also how many will end up accepting offers.

Comment

Right, a club may have only planned on having enough kids in an age group to fill two rosters, but end up getting 2.5 rosters worth of kids. Or, on the other hand, perhaps a half roster worth of kids ended up not accepting offers. They'll try to gather enough kids to fill out that last half roster, so will hold supplemental tryouts. I can imagine this happens quite often, as it's tough to judge just how many players will come to tryouts and also how many will end up accepting offers.
          Sometimes it isn't even that many - maybe they just want 1-2 more, maybe in a key position. Best bet is to call clubs before everyone starts checking out for the summer. OP might not be able to do much now but at least will have made contacts before August practices start and can map a game plan

Comment

We were in this same pickle last year. They switched the coach on us last minute and notified us at tryouts. What area are you in? We ended up going to supplemental tryouts and landed on a decent team. Some websites say that if you can't make tryouts to call and they will arrange something.

Comment

We were in this same pickle last year. They switched the coach on us last minute and notified us at tryouts. What area are you in? We ended up going to supplemental tryouts and landed on a decent team. Some websites say that if you can't make tryouts to call and they will arrange something.
              We are in central MA, so could look at Abbey Villa, NEFC, Best, etc... She wouldn't be at an elite level (U13) so I think the chances are better for a lower to mid team.

Comment

We had an issue with my kids club after the age change last year. The one team got split into two and they didn't get enough kids after tryouts to fill the two teams. So he tried out at NEFC for their June 12 & 14, 2016 tryouts. He was told that he made the team and then was told a few hours later that there weren't enough kids accepting offers to field a team.

We went to both tryouts for NEFC and since most club tryouts are on June 12 and 14 we thought we missed our opportunity. I asked the NEFC coach if he had any ideas and he referred me to a Bolts coach in the same region. I emailed the Bolts NEP coach and he gave my son an unscheduled tryout. I would suggest calling or emailing the coaches from other teams and simply asking for a tryout...it worked for us.

Comment

We had an issue with my kids club after the age change last year. The one team got split into two and they didn't get enough kids after tryouts to fill the two teams. So he tried out at NEFC for their June 12 & 14, 2016 tryouts. He was told that he made the team and then was told a few hours later that there weren't enough kids accepting offers to field a team.

We went to both tryouts for NEFC and since most club tryouts are on June 12 and 14 we thought we missed our opportunity. I asked the NEFC coach if he had any ideas and he referred me to a Bolts coach in the same region. I emailed the Bolts NEP coach and he gave my son an unscheduled tryout. I would suggest calling or emailing the coaches from other teams and simply asking for a tryout...it worked for us.
                  We had a problem with the age change last year, as well. My kid was on a 2nd team, but due to the numbers after the age change, her age group could only field one team. Of course, they weren't sure of the numbers until after the supplementary tryouts, so we didn't find out until July that she didn't make the team. Thought we were out of luck, but contacted a nearby club and they let her attend a morning of their summer camp for an evaluation and got on the team that way. If your kid wants to play, especially if she isn't gunning for a top team, she'll be able to find a spot. You just have to do a little leg work to find a club nearby with some open roster spots.

Comment

South Shore Select posted on social media about a final chance to tryout "in an effort to fill a few remaining roster spots"

3rd and 4th tryouts to follow

Comment

A

A phone call is all it takes for some

Comment

Stars Worcester Girls
                        (From an email)

Final Open Tryout Night

2003 & 2002: 6 - 7:30PM @ Assumption College

2001 & 2000/99: 7:30 - 8:45PM @ Assumption College

Comment

Most HS teams hold a few spots open and run another round in the fall when HS is done

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          Working...
                          X