Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    There was no blame. Just because something doesn't work out doesn't mean it was a wrong choice.

His team was split in half and ceased to exist. He tried out for a pre-academy club and made it. The kid was willing to stretch himself and we found out what his level is. He's playing down half a notch next year and, as others have said, may very well get his groove back.

Not sure why you're so quick to judge when you have virtually no facts or knowledge of the situation.
    you put it out there ... saying that It ruined him as a player forever.

Most teams split in half due to the calendar year change.

Comment

Why does it matter whether or not Long Island town teams match up with the international age standards when they will never be playing in a competition against international clubs? At the very least, they could have phased it in year-by-year starting at U8 for non-national or Academy clubs.

A solution in search of a problem. Not everyone was disrupted, but nobody benefitted.
      I guess you don't think going metric is a good idea either?

Comment

I guess you don't think going metric is a good idea either?
        Birth year actively works against 8th graders and Seniors in states that ban club play during the High School season. Not that big a deal in NY but a big deal for about half the country.

Comment

Birth year actively works against 8th graders and Seniors in states that ban club play during the High School season. Not that big a deal in NY but a big deal for about half the country.
          When there's a cut off it always impacts someone. My son got impacted in 8th grade prior to the calendar year change. The club made it the best of it. My son played. Life goes on

Comment

When there's a cut off it always impacts someone. My son got impacted in 8th grade prior to the calendar year change. The club made it the best of it. My son played. Life goes on
            Under the August 1st rule, in most states the U14 teams lost only a couple of players to HS teams and could still field a club team during the HS season. You must remember that most states use a September cut-off for entry into Kindergarten, not the December rule that New York uses. The majority of the team at U14 are 8th graders.

Under the birth year rule teams are losing over half of their players to HS ball at U15 leaving somewhere around a third of the team (the 8th graders with fall birthdays) with no club option whatsoever for them.

Comment

Under the August 1st rule, in most states the U14 teams lost only a couple of players to HS teams and could still field a club team during the HS season. You must remember that most states use a September cut-off for entry into Kindergarten, not the December rule that New York uses. The majority of the team at U14 are 8th graders.

Under the birth year rule teams are losing over half of their players to HS ball at U15 leaving somewhere around a third of the team (the 8th graders with fall birthdays) with no club option whatsoever for them.

That's where the club pass at a large club come in handy. Or teams can make 14/15 teams to compensate

Bottom line is that cutoffs always impact someone

Comment

That's where the club pass at a large club come in handy. Or teams can make 14/15 teams to compensate

Bottom line is that cutoffs always impact someone
                The cutoffs are significantly worse, dramatically worse, for 8th graders in states that ban club play during the HS season and it's bad for fall seniors everywhere.

Saying that some people use to be impacted by the old system too ignores the fact that the new rules affect a significantly larger number of people.

Comment

The cutoffs are significantly worse, dramatically worse, for 8th graders in states that ban club play during the HS season and it's bad for fall seniors everywhere.

Saying that some people use to be impacted by the old system too ignores the fact that the new rules affect a significantly larger number of people.
                  The law has been in effect for a year. It's not changing no matter how many people are impacted

Talk to your club about ways to mitigate it ... they will tell you about club pass and dual year teams

Comment

The law has been in effect for a year. It's not changing no matter how many people are impacted

Talk to your club about ways to mitigate it ... they will tell you about club pass and dual year teams
                    I said nothing about changing it back.

And I'm talking about issues in states where HS players are banned from club play so this does not affect me directly.

Comment

I said nothing about changing it back.

And I'm talking about issues in states where HS players are banned from club play so this does not affect me directly.
                      You seem to care/post a lot about for it not impacting you directly

go post on CT board. They don't allow club play in HS

Comment

You seem to care/post a lot about for it not impacting you directly

go post on CT board. They don't allow club play in HS
                        Other states limit participation in club as well - you can do both but HS has to always be the priority. As it is HS coaches aren't the most sympathetic when it comes to club soccer, and trying to do both in HS season is daunting. That's why generally there is none or limited club activity while HS is in session. I've got an older player and recruiting has proved problematic for several of his younger teammates.

So, no this isn't going away, but it negatively impacts far more kids than before, the vast majority of whom will also see no benefit because they're not NT bound. It simply demonstrates the myopic view of USSF, which only cares about <1% of players.

not the op

Comment

In the immediate term, some feel like they won and some feel like they lost. No sense arguing past each other, although I do believe the late months in the aggregate have been more disaffected by the change than the early months ever were under the old system. Anyway I've said this since day 1 and I'm sticking to it: when US Soccer looks back in five years and sees: i) overall participation rates down 10-15%, ii) the relative age effect drastically magnified, and most importantly iii) zero improvement in our national teams' relative world standing, they'd better be willing to not make excuses and admit they made a mistake.

Comment

Other states limit participation in club as well - you can do both but HS has to always be the priority. As it is HS coaches aren't the most sympathetic when it comes to club soccer, and trying to do both in HS season is daunting. That's why generally there is none or limited club activity while HS is in session. I've got an older player and recruiting has proved problematic for several of his younger teammates.

So, no this isn't going away, but it negatively impacts far more kids than before, the vast majority of whom will also see no benefit because they're not NT bound. It simply demonstrates the myopic view of USSF, which only cares about <1% of players.

not the op
                            Connecticut does not give HS players the option to play club during HS season. If you are caught playing for a club team during HS soccer season any HS games you were rostered on the HS has to forfeit.

Comment

In the immediate term, some feel like they won and some feel like they lost. No sense arguing past each other, although I do believe the late months in the aggregate have been more disaffected by the change than the early months ever were under the old system. Anyway I've said this since day 1 and I'm sticking to it: when US Soccer looks back in five years and sees: i) overall participation rates down 10-15%, ii) the relative age effect drastically magnified, and most importantly iii) zero improvement in our national teams' relative world standing, they'd better be willing to not make excuses and admit they made a mistake.
                              USSF will never admit they made an error.

Comment

Oh like we were pumping out world class players on the men's side before the age change.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X