Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Pay close attention to the next word. Only going to say it once. Ready?

STARTERS

MATH

Even if ever yone of the players over 180 were starters, you are still talking less than HALF the roster. 1/2. (46% to be exact.)

So, I'll adjust my commentary.

Seems to me whomever this person is discounting players for being under 180, is eliminating 54% of the college soccer population.

Interesting recruiting philosophy......

Feel better?

Comment

MATH

Even if ever yone of the players over 180 were starters, you are still talking less than HALF the roster. 1/2. (46% to be exact.)

So, I'll adjust my commentary.

Seems to me whomever this person is discounting players for being under 180, is eliminating 54% of the college soccer population.

Interesting recruiting philosophy......

Feel better?
      Impact players in US college soccer (consequently those that are highly recruited) are big and strong. The Messi's are playing elsewhere so this is what we have to pick from. it's not an 'interesting' recruiting philosophy. It's the only one.

Comment

Impact players in US college soccer (consequently those that are highly recruited) are big and strong. The Messi's are playing elsewhere so this is what we have to pick from. it's not an 'interesting' recruiting philosophy. It's the only one.
        Hmmm, would you consider Top Drawer's top 10 ranked men's college players for last season to be impact players? Half of them are under 180 lbs, with the #1 ranked player coming in at 160 lbs. Maybe you don't have to be "big and strong" to be a successful college player in the US afterall. Maybe 160 lbs of quickness, technical skill and a high soccer IQ works just as well.

Comment

Hmmm, would you consider Top Drawer's top 10 ranked men's college players for last season to be impact players? Half of them are under 180 lbs, with the #1 ranked player coming in at 160 lbs. Maybe you don't have to be "big and strong" to be a successful college player in the US afterall. Maybe 160 lbs of quickness, technical skill and a high soccer IQ works just as well.
          yeahbutt...can he boot it wicked fahh?

Comment

let me pray

Comment

let me pray
              Certainly nothing wrong with praying but that was an accidental post.

Not the poster but I would make the point that Seacoast certainly doesn't have technically gifted players that are small so they better have something else going for them (size) if they're going to have any chance to be recruited.

Comment

Certainly nothing wrong with praying but that was an accidental post.

Not the poster but I would make the point that Seacoast certainly doesn't have technically gifted players that are small so they better have something else going for them (size) if they're going to have any chance to be recruited.
                While they may or may not be true, the poster seemed to indicate he is eliminating players due to their size, as those who aren't 180 lbs can't compete at that level.

Data seems to indicate that, for this subject only, size doesn't matter. So, it seems like an odd line to lay down to eliminate about half the playing pool.

Now, if they aren't good enough, then just go with that.

Comment

STARTERS
                  Correct. With a limited number of scholarships and limited to half the roster as counters for the NCAA, we can't justify a 5'9" 170 back going against teams in our division with 6'2" 185 forwards and mids in the box. Not a recipe for success on set pieces in DII.

Our players are not playing for Barcelona... they are playing for us. Our league is big, not small and fast. You can't compete on skill alone in college. Size matters not only for competitive play but also injury prevention. From a competition stand point we consistently lead the league in 50/50 balls won and possession time. No secret that we are able to compete for the league title year in and year out.

Comment

While they may or may not be true, the poster seemed to indicate he is eliminating players due to their size, as those who aren't 180 lbs can't compete at that level.

Data seems to indicate that, for this subject only, size doesn't matter. So, it seems like an odd line to lay down to eliminate about half the playing pool.

Now, if they aren't good enough, then just go with that.
                    Not what I said at all. I stated that the SU players are typically less skilled and undersized for what we try to accomplish. We prefer players who are stronger to play a physical style. It works for us. We have players under 180, but by the time they graduate, we get them over 180 with weight training. Their game explodes once they are stronger. This happens at all levels of all sports in college.

Comment

Correct me if I am wrong, but we saw a SI team 3 years ago that had their top line with 4 kids under 5'10" and under 180. All 4 ended up playing DIII and did not get a dime for school but "lead" the academy team as 4 of the top 10 players. That is what I am talking about. If your skills are equal to a player with more size, the bigger player is a greater asset.

I was away last week at two events in VA and NC. So sorry I am
                      Late to the forum replies.

Comment

Correct me if I am wrong, but we saw a SI team 3 years ago that had their top line with 4 kids under 5'10" and under 180. All 4 ended up playing DIII and did not get a dime for school but "lead" the academy team as 4 of the top 10 players. That is what I am talking about. If your skills are equal to a player with more size, the bigger player is a greater asset.

I was away last week at two events in VA and NC. So sorry I am
                        Late to the forum replies.
                        SI team?

Comment

SU sorry - not SI. Phone keyboard

Comment

Correct. With a limited number of scholarships and limited to half the roster as counters for the NCAA, we can't justify a 5'9" 170 back going against teams in our division with 6'2" 185 forwards and mids in the box. Not a recipe for success on set pieces in DII.

Our players are not playing for Barcelona... they are playing for us. Our league is big, not small and fast. You can't compete on skill alone in college. Size matters not only for competitive play but also injury prevention. From a competition stand point we consistently lead the league in 50/50 balls won and possession time. No secret that we are able to compete for the league title year in and year out.
                            Now that you've moved the goalposts, and are talking DII vs. DI, makes more sense. Should've just lead with that...

Comment

Now that you've moved the goalposts, and are talking DII vs. DI, makes more sense. Should've just lead with that...

Charleston WV: 2/17 forwards/midfielders over 180
                              Mercyhurst: 2/16
                              SNHU: 1/18
                              Merrimack: 0/13
                              Franklin Pierce: 0/11
                              LIU: 0/15

Comment

Charleston WV: 2/17 forwards/midfielders over 180
                                Mercyhurst: 2/16
                                SNHU: 1/18
                                Merrimack: 0/13
                                Franklin Pierce: 0/11
                                LIU: 0/15
                                How about the men's teams?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X