Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    In westchester, at least, town teams are unlikely to merge because they use town fields. Setting yourself up as a town team you oftentimes stipulate that players have to live in the town, and that then allows you to get fields at reasonable rates from the Town itself because its the taxpayers themselves that are playing on the teams.
    Is that why town teams in westchester tend to stay in lower leagues like wysl and the kids end up moving to non-town clubs younger ages to play better competition? Seems in LI and even rockland the town teams can consistently make it into better leagues whereas in westchester its more rare, especially on the girls side.

Comment

Is that why town teams in westchester tend to stay in lower leagues like wysl and the kids end up moving to non-town clubs younger ages to play better competition? Seems in LI and even rockland the town teams can consistently make it into better leagues whereas in westchester its more rare, especially on the girls side.
      I think on LI we didn't have strong clubs so the towns filled a void. Every age group would have one team at different town clubs the strong players would migrate to.

Also many LI town clubs started instituting mandatory training with their preferred training partners. Those trainers took their teams into higher leagues.

As for the homegrown rules, they exist here also but I have only once had to provide a team census for a school district. Many facilities are run by the towns and our clubs are run at the village level so a village club drawing players from 6 other villages won't have an issue because it rolls up to the town level and is ultimately measured at the club level, not an individual team level.

Comment

The clubs on long island that use school fields have the same issue with having to have a certain percentage of the players living in the school district. However, our school districts are far larger than those in Westchester on average so there is a larger talent pool to pick from. For example, Sachem schools at one point had over 23,000 students which is one of the largest non-municipal districts in the country. Massapequa, East Meadow, Smithtown, Commack, Dix Hills and so on also have large pools to draw players from. Westchester is far more rural.

Plus, these larger town clubs all have fairly healthy intramural programs at the younger ages that are almost entirely made up of kids from their school districts which makes it easier for them to import players at the travel levels without violating the school residency rules.

Comment

The tax dollars of the lower level players are just as valuable as the tax dollars of the strong players. Clubs using tax supported fields should serve the players in the tax paying community - the strong and the not so strong. Or they should find some other fields.

Comment

The tax dollars of the lower level players are just as valuable as the tax dollars of the strong players. Clubs using tax supported fields should serve the players in the tax paying community - the strong and the not so strong. Or they should find some other fields.
            So in Westchester the players who are 'more into it' at age 10 or 11 will find that the just '2 practices a week' isn't enough for them and they want more practices and also to be playing with kids who are equally focused on soccer. They'll leave their town team and go to an academy like FC Westchester or NYSC. At that age, you don't have to be a super duper player since both clubs field 2, 3 or more teams at that age.

Both of those clubs RENT fields from universities because at 2-3K per kid they need to have guaranteed good quality fields. Town teams (for example, Rye and/or Mamaroneck) use town facilities and take their chances on fields being available for practices on a regular basis.

I think the other posters comments about the size of the school districts is on target.

Comment

Yes my kid decided that the biggest issue with the town programs (we're in Westchester) is that the kids who are on the travel team aren't very good or committed, don't really even want to be there and mostly it is a team comprised of the coach's kid and their friends.

Comment

Yes my kid decided that the biggest issue with the town programs (we're in Westchester) is that the kids who are on the travel team aren't very good or committed, don't really even want to be there and mostly it is a team comprised of the coach's kid and their friends.
                It should be for the coach's kid and friends and any other tax paying members of the school district (assuming the town club is using the school fields at low or no cost).

If you your player has the talent, drive and budget, to get involved in more highly competitive youth sports, that is great. But the mission of the clubs using tax supported fields has to be to serve the all the tax payers.

If the town club controls costs by using parent coaches, that is fiscally responsible. There need to be guidelines followed by the parent coaches to insure all the players are served. In my somewhat limited experience, most volunteers are dedicated and have the right attitude. There are a few monster parents involved that do not seem to embrace the mission of a town level club and the club needs to take them on.

Comment

Yes, the unfortunate part is when the town travel team cuts kids that should make it just because the coach prefers to have their friends children on the team, or they're making spots for groups of friends at the expense of other kids. We saw good players being cut solely because they weren't in the social circle.

Comment

To a certain extent, that's what a town program should be. Inexpensive, open to all levels of talent and focused on fun.

Comment

Team Caught Cheating in Boys 2007 NY Cup Booted

Yes, the unfortunate part is when the town travel team cuts kids that should make it just because the coach prefers to have their friends children on the team, or they're making spots for groups of friends at the expense of other kids. We saw good players being cut solely because they weren't in the social circle.
                      Unfortunately I'm one of the Dad coaches (non paid) and have this dilemma every year and it is not easy. You cut a friend that you see every day and pick a player that is more talented. Can easily ruin friendships. I've see it. Imagine cutting a kid for soccer, but seeing them in lacrosse during the same season! On the flip side, you cut a more talented player, your name get's thrown through the mud! So it's a no win scenario.

The only way to combat this is to go with trainers, who have no connections to the team and/or parents. However the cost's go up and people start complaining about that.

In short, life is tough and getting cut can make you stronger in the end.

Comment

Always err on the side of picking the best players for the team. IMO, it is more unfair to cut a kid who works hard. Best bet is hiring out of town trainers to score everyone at the tryouts. The big dogs will still have some influence but its better than nothing and keeps your name more clear.

Comment

Always err on the side of picking the best players for the team. IMO, it is more unfair to cut a kid who works hard. Best bet is hiring out of town trainers to score everyone at the tryouts. The big dogs will still have some influence but its better than nothing and keeps your name more clear.
                          I agree, having an outside trainer(s) run the tryouts and give evaluations can help get a more independent view as well as giving the coach cover in his decisions. But those teams that give complete control over who makes the team based on those evaluations are making big mistakes. On my daughters team, my best goalkeeper looks lousy in practice as does my best defender. On my son's team I have a defender with almost pathetically weak foot skills and leg strength on top of being undersized but I'd guess we let up maybe 2 or 3 goals the entire season from his side of the field due to his pure hustle and toughness. The coaches have to be the final say, even if they pretend to defer to the trainers when questioned by the parents.

Comment

I agree, having an outside trainer(s) run the tryouts and give evaluations can help get a more independent view as well as giving the coach cover in his decisions. But those teams that give complete control over who makes the team based on those evaluations are making big mistakes. On my daughters team, my best goalkeeper looks lousy in practice as does my best defender. On my son's team I have a defender with almost pathetically weak foot skills and leg strength on top of being undersized but I'd guess we let up maybe 2 or 3 goals the entire season from his side of the field due to his pure hustle and toughness. The coaches have to be the final say, even if they pretend to defer to the trainers when questioned by the parents.
                            Great points, and you're right. Ultimately that coach has to guide the team and if he/she really knows the players that has to count for more than just a # score by an outsider.

Comment

As predicted, zero punishment for Dan.

Comment

As predicted, zero punishment for Dan.
                                Did you really think otherwise? The kids get punished, he doesn't.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X