Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Town pride?? Nobody cares about MTOC. It's just for some fun, nothing more nothing less.
    For middle schoolers, town travel soccer and MTOC are a pretty big thing. And there is town pride involved. My D played against some future D1 players during the middle school years. I believe one from Mendon-Upton who went onto to play for BC. For the high schoolers, if you live in a town or region with a strong D1 HS team, MTOC team is a good fit for those who don't make varsity. For $100, its a great avenue to continue to play the game.

Comment

This thread is an annual rite of spring - first day of summer. Just like the annual bash-fest of every girls team aside from NEFC (and now by association BBA) leading up to club tryouts. It happens every single year, without fail.

I cannot understand the disdain this tournament creates with some of these crazies. If you have nothing to do with it why do you care?

Comment

Mass Tournament of Crap
        Funny, I bet most of the top town teams could beat a good amount of club teams. I know some towns/city's that have all their top players playing for different clubs and this give them a chance to put them all together.
        How many mtoc games have you seen?
        Or are you one of those snobs who thinks their kid is too good for town soccer?
        Town soccer is run be volunteers who don't get paid and the towns don't make money. How many clubs are like that. Are there parents with big egos that run some towns yes put how many clubs are run with people like that? Also for the most part towns usually have turnover are the top and can be voted out if parents aren't happy. How many clubs do that?

Comment

Town pride?? Nobody cares about MTOC. It's just for some fun, nothing more nothing less.
          Says the least informed guy on TS.

Comment

My U 12 daughter has decided that club softball is her primary sport, so no club soccer for her. However, she still enjoys playing town soccer with her friends and the chance to go to MTOC would be fun for her. My U 14 daughter who plays club soccer is going to MTOC this year with her town team for the first time. She is playing on a team with kids she has played with since age 6, some of whom play for other clubs, and some of whom will be going to private HS next year. This is their last chance to play together and even though they will probably lose, they are looking forward to having some fun. FUN people. What happened to that word in youth soccer?

Comment

My U 12 daughter has decided that club softball is her primary sport, so no club soccer for her. However, she still enjoys playing town soccer with her friends and the chance to go to MTOC would be fun for her. My U 14 daughter who plays club soccer is going to MTOC this year with her town team for the first time. She is playing on a team with kids she has played with since age 6, some of whom play for other clubs, and some of whom will be going to private HS next year. This is their last chance to play together and even though they will probably lose, they are looking forward to having some fun. FUN people. What happened to that word in youth soccer?
              Great post. Fact is that if "fun" was a money maker, you'd be hearing it as much as you hear "elite" and "development" and "pathway" bandied about.

Comment

All one needs to do to know the best days of soccer at all levels in the US are behind her, which isn't necessarily saying much, is read this thread.
                The best days are behind us, huh? Considering that the sport has been at best third rate, perhaps second rate in the last 20 years, that it saying something.

Tournaments and programs like this are exactly what the country needs. I might have raised a D1 player, but I knew nothing about the sport and remain to this day a toe kicker. It wasn't even a HS sport at my HS when I went, and I am not that old and it wasn't a small school. Heck, we didn't even play it gym class. IMO, the more parents that have an understanding of it, the better the level of play will rise.

Comment

The best days are behind us, huh? Considering that the sport has been at best third rate, perhaps second rate in the last 20 years, that it saying something.

Tournaments and programs like this are exactly what the country needs. I might have raised a D1 player, but I knew nothing about the sport and remain to this day a toe kicker. It wasn't even a HS sport at my HS when I went, and I am not that old and it wasn't a small school. Heck, we didn't even play it gym class. IMO, the more parents that have an understanding of it, the better the level of play will rise.
                  Sure does. Participation in the sport has peaked and begun to decline. Meanwhile, there's no grassroots soccer culture in this country and there's no sustained effort to create one, it's been destroyed by the business of soccer, which views it as competition and/or bad for player development (which is obscene and ignorant). Again, just read this thread.

Comment

Sure does. Participation in the sport has peaked and begun to decline. Meanwhile, there's no grassroots soccer culture in this country and there's no sustained effort to create one, it's been destroyed by the business of soccer, which views it as competition and/or bad for player development (which is obscene and ignorant). Again, just read this thread.
                    I don't think it's reached it's tipping point yet, but your prediction is probably true.
                    Pay to play youth soccer is going to kill the sport.

I recall having conversations with other parents when our kids were still infants. Most were hopeful that their kids would not be exposed to hockey for fear that they may choose to play.

Nobody dislikes hockey and some of the Dad's had played, it was the costs associated with it. With equipment costs and ice time, hockey could easily cost thousands per season.

In just a few short years, soccer has reached that level of expense and it's absurd. No matter what anyone says, good players are going to be priced out or parents will avoid getting involved to begin with.

Comment

I've herd club coaches bast town soccer but go to Lancaster and see how many club coaches are there trying to pick kids. These club coaches will walk over to the town coaches and try to be budy budy with them just trying to get info on some of their players. The only thing that does stink about mtoc is that it's late in the year where some kids are going away and will miss the games.
                      Mtoc I think is the only true mass championship meaning teams have to win their league to move on and play other leagues. How many state championships does club soccer have? At least 2. Those are you have to pay to enter and your record doesn't really matter. These club teams will sign up in the winter and the teams are selected before the spring season even starts. Travel soccer you at least have to earn your way there. Which I think makes it more impressive.

Comment

I think its important to note that not every club level player plays club soccer. The reason could be money or interest or time management. But there are plenty of quality players who don't play club soccer and that is at all age levels. And I'm not talking about future D1 prospects. I'm talking about just quality players who round out teams nicely that have the skill and ability to play club but not necessarily stand out. Some kids are great all around athletes and choose to prioritize baseball or AAU basketball. These town leagues offer them an opportunity to keep playing throughout the year without financial and time management stress.

Comment

I think its important to note that not every club level player plays club soccer. The reason could be money or interest or time management. But there are plenty of quality players who don't play club soccer and that is at all age levels. And I'm not talking about future D1 prospects. I'm talking about just quality players who round out teams nicely that have the skill and ability to play club but not necessarily stand out. Some kids are great all around athletes and choose to prioritize baseball or AAU basketball. These town leagues offer them an opportunity to keep playing throughout the year without financial and time management stress.
                          Yup, but the parents of "the talent" already shut you out.
                          Plenty of club bags on town sideline, especially at MTOC

Comment

Well said. Putting aside the inclination of the club soccer parent to overrate the talent level of their own child, team, and/or league (most NPL players, for example, aren't "D1 prospects" or actually roster through 4 years of college, so with all of club soccer in the aggregate, "D1" is obviously even less applicable), I find the desire to denigrate those they perceive as lesser, recreational players by some measure of talent (even when they aren't), simply by the choices they make about playing the sport, says A LOT. I believe the term in psychology is "projection."

Comment

mtoc

Saw plenty of excellent play from D1 GU12 this weekend. There were plenty of non club players consistently beating club players on the field in my daughters games. Many talented kids that choose to play other sports competitively. Actually, I would be embarrassed to say my kid plays club soccer based on some of the play.... To think that NEP teams are much better than top MTOC teams is just not true.

Comment

Saw plenty of excellent play from D1 GU12 this weekend. There were plenty of non club players consistently beating club players on the field in my daughters games. Many talented kids that choose to play other sports competitively. Actually, I would be embarrassed to say my kid plays club soccer based on some of the play.... To think that NEP teams are much better than top MTOC teams is just not true.
                                the best players don't bother with town soccer..relax dad and put the plastic on the shelf

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X