Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is DA really the best option for our kids?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Weston DA kids miss 20/30 days of school a year. If you don't live close to Weston and or kendall (Boca is too new to judge) it would seem to me, because of traffic, that it is a huge sacrifice. There is no doubt that coaching and level of play create better players. If you have a good club team it might be a better option depending on your school and where you live.
    From personal experience, It depends on the age group,The club, and in certain cases the geographical Division of the Da club.Up until recently, If what the new USSda director has said will change, the clubs were stuck playing one given style and 2 formations. That made USSDA players very robotic in their play. The new director coached in Holland and brings their philosophy of play and player selection. If true you will see more skilled players being picked and less for size and current speed.Perhaps in the future they will be the best answer, however if you are talking about very young players i would still try the pulisic way, that is find a good club, and have him train outside the club with someone that can personally help him with skills and technique, as you generally won't get that from the pay to play Academies.That includes the Westons' and Kendalls' of the USSDA.

Comment

I can also tell you that it is a myth that the best coaches are at the DA's. They are generally better licensed at the higher age groups thru requirements from the USSDA(B licensed min), however that is not the case for the u12-U13 age groups.

Comment

I can also tell you that it is a myth that the best coaches are at the DA's. They are generally better licensed at the higher age groups thru requirements from the USSDA(B licensed min), however that is not the case for the u12-U13 age groups.
        Do you know what the licensing requirements are for U12 & U13? My kid will be starting U12 DA in the fall and I was surprised to see the coach chosen doesn't have a B license yet (fantastic coach, though, so we are happy with it).

Comment

Do you know what the licensing requirements are for U12 & U13? My kid will be starting U12 DA in the fall and I was surprised to see the coach chosen doesn't have a B license yet (fantastic coach, though, so we are happy with it).
          Well that's your answer isn't it. If he is a fantastic coach, then go with it. Joining the U12 DA is also about being around kids that are serious about soccer and they are just plain better than the other clubs and players out there. Also, at U12, if your kid is one of the best, he will be offered to play up on occasion. You made the right choice.

Comment

Well that's your answer isn't it. If he is a fantastic coach, then go with it. Joining the U12 DA is also about being around kids that are serious about soccer and they are just plain better than the other clubs and players out there. Also, at U12, if your kid is one of the best, he will be offered to play up on occasion. You made the right choice.
            This is just false. Dont type cast all da or all club.

Comment

Don't worry about which license each coach has. My son was on a team with a coach with multiple licenses, who had played the game his whole life, and he was a horror show. Then he had a coach with minimal licensure and he was the most influential person we have ever come across in youth soccer. If I guy can coach and you are happy, forget about the licenses. Most of them are just for show.

Comment

Agree with above - don't sweat it. DA doesn't. In fact lots of coaches haven't met their requirements. If you and your son think he's going to be great then he probably will be. A certain license doesn't guarantee good coaching

Comment

As the kids get 13+, when better licensed coaches make a difference. They understand more about shape, 1 touch/2 touch and the modern game. When kids are 8-12, lower license coaches can focus on the fundamentals. Naturally, their are good and bad coaches with all licenses. If you notice they do not pay attention to detail, and do not know how to communicate that detail with the player, then coach typically is average or below.

Comment

Here's the link to the article
                    https://www.yahoo.com/sports/christi...210726336.html

Comment

Just went through a year in u12 DA and disapppointed that my son wants to stay another year. Coaching was mediocre at best and demanding schedule makes it difficult to do much else on the side. Club doing nothing for player development. Team has no tactical strategy. Very individual play where each player is fighting for their spot in an unproductive way to avoid the revolving door. At 11-12 years old, this does not feel like the correct path for the future. The league might be the "best" but for my sons age provided very few meaningful games. Before DA, coach had the flexibility of finding competitive tournaments and playing team up. u12 DA florida north was 1-2 good games for 4 blowouts. Team only played one event outside of league play. I believe DA is better for older kids. Many young payers will get ruined by this system (coaching was bad bad bad)

Comment

Just went through a year in u12 DA and disapppointed that my son wants to stay another year. Coaching was mediocre at best and demanding schedule makes it difficult to do much else on the side. Club doing nothing for player development. Team has no tactical strategy. Very individual play where each player is fighting for their spot in an unproductive way to avoid the revolving door. At 11-12 years old, this does not feel like the correct path for the future. The league might be the "best" but for my sons age provided very few meaningful games. Before DA, coach had the flexibility of finding competitive tournaments and playing team up. u12 DA florida north was 1-2 good games for 4 blowouts. Team only played one event outside of league play. I believe DA is better for older kids. Many young payers will get ruined by this system (coaching was bad bad bad)
                        Moving DA down to U12 is the best long term strategy - cast a wide net, train more kids at the younger ages, then let the better talent rise up into a smaller group at the older ages. But there's issues with how it was executed. Overall there are multiple DA clubs that just aren't that great, like what you encountered. Our geography requires many clubs but that means some clubs are in that in an ideal world shouldn't be. Also, to do the U12 broad net strategy USSF let in many more clubs that weren't in the system before. They don't meet the same DA guidelines in terms of coaching licensure etc. Plus having a license doesn't mean you're a good coach. Also, the newer clubs that don't have full DA status know they'll lose their top players at some point so there's little incentive for them to develop and retain them. However, having younger DA status is a great marketing tool for them. These are all pay to play clubs, so at the end of the ay this is a business move for them and little else.

Comment

Originally posted by unregistered View Post
                          just went through a year in u12 da and disapppointed that my son wants to stay another year. Coaching was mediocre at best and demanding schedule makes it difficult to do much else on the side. Club doing nothing for player development. Team has no tactical strategy. Very individual play where each player is fighting for their spot in an unproductive way to avoid the revolving door. At 11-12 years old, this does not feel like the correct path for the future. The league might be the "best" but for my sons age provided very few meaningful games. Before da, coach had the flexibility of finding competitive tournaments and playing team up. U12 da florida north was 1-2 good games for 4 blowouts. Team only played one event outside of league play. I believe da is better for older kids. Many young payers will get ruined by this system (coaching was bad bad bad)
                          i agree with you a 100%
                          da may be an option when player is older but before u15 da has shows that is not a truly development tool for youth players.

Comment

i agree with you a 100%
                            da may be an option when player is older but before u15 da has shows that is not a truly development tool for youth players.
                            Time will tell if USSF attempting to smother everything else out of existence is what is best for US soccer. Plenty of evidence so far that what is in place now is not optimal. Encompassing girls, boys and younger ages will "hopefully" yield dividends. However, the first 10 years for boys provided mixed results. Now they girls. Admittedly, we threw our hat in with the girls for the opportunity of training, US camps etc.

Comment

DA

We never were able to attend any DA or ENCL because of geographics. All my daughter did was okay high school and for a tiny travel club. She's verbally committed to FSU in 10th grade. Hopefully someone in her same situation sees this a understand there is still hope.

Comment

We never were able to attend any DA or ENCL because of geographics. All my daughter did was okay high school and for a tiny travel club. She's verbally committed to FSU in 10th grade. Hopefully someone in her same situation sees this a understand there is still hope.
                                10 grad, wow! That is good to hear. Best of luck to your kid. Go Noles!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X