Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2142263]Correlation is not causation.[/QUOTE

Correct. Right, but can you prove in your statistical analysis that it isn't an asset?

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2142545]
      Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Correlation is not causation.[/QUOTE

Correct. Right, but can you prove in your statistical analysis that it isn't an asset?
      NT players are top players no matter where they train. They will be discovered, especially now with ECNL, GDA and other ID venues like PDP. The greatest benefit when they make the region pool teams where they play with other top players. The question is what are the benefits to a more typical player interested in ODP. The thread OP never really said what he/his kid was looking to get out of it.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2142638]

NT players are top players no matter where they train. They will be discovered, especially now with ECNL, GDA and other ID venues like PDP. The greatest benefit when they make the region pool teams where they play with other top players. The question is what are the benefits to a more typical player interested in ODP. The thread OP never really said what he/his kid was looking to get out of it.
        Agreed. Prior poster shared motivations of all actors involved, including asking what OP wanted from ODP.

ECNL and DA parents will tell you that ODP is 2nd Tier. I don't disagree, but what they don't want to hear is that AT LEAST half of the players on ECNL and DA teams are also 2nd Tier. ODP is a cheap and fast way to learn the truth - good and bad. ECNL and DA offer the opportunity to keep dreams alive.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2142672]

Agreed. Prior poster shared motivations of all actors involved, including asking what OP wanted from ODP.

ECNL and DA parents will tell you that ODP is 2nd Tier. I don't disagree, but what they don't want to hear is that AT LEAST half of the players on ECNL and DA teams are also 2nd Tier. ODP is a cheap and fast way to learn the truth - good and bad. ECNL and DA offer the opportunity to keep dreams alive.
          ODP is anything but cheap.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2142683]

ODP is anything but cheap.
            ??

Compared to ECNL and DA it most certainly is.
            $35 is pretty cheap way to find out your D is good but not noteworthy at tryouts.
            State pool training fees are ~$350 a season- cheap way to play with other players and for other coaches, and learn that while good, maybe not noteworthty. After all costs for camps, Regional tourneys, and Inter-regional tourney ionBoca its still 2/3 or less than cost of Club.

Pay as you go, is much more efficient than signing $3600 check to club + expenses for 4 out of state tourneys

Comment

Using those numbers above, can someone break down time on the ball for each so you can make a good comparison of "what's cheaper"?

Comment

Using those numbers above, can someone break down time on the ball for each so you can make a good comparison of "what's cheaper"?
                While i fully agree with your sarcasm and the primary point that it ain't about which one is cheaper, I was merely responding to the statement that ODP was "far from cheap". every family and each player have different circumstances, and that's why there are lots of options.

Comment

While i fully agree with your sarcasm and the primary point that it ain't about which one is cheaper, I was merely responding to the statement that ODP was "far from cheap". every family and each player have different circumstances, and that's why there are lots of options.
                  OK, first, I admit to being full of sarcasm almost all the time and in many posts. But, I honestly didn't mean to here.

I am not a part of either program. Kid is in NPL and we have no use for ODP. But, I was seriously curious on how much time is spent in each program and if the cost per hour were comparable.

Comment

OK, first, I admit to being full of sarcasm almost all the time and in many posts. But, I honestly didn't mean to here.

I am not a part of either program. Kid is in NPL and we have no use for ODP. But, I was seriously curious on how much time is spent in each program and if the cost per hour were comparable.
                    Thanks for clarifying. My D is NPL as well, and that is where the majority of our resources go - Time, Travel, $, Emotions. NPL is her "team". She really likes the girls, coach, etc. and wants to stay with NPL team. ODP offers external assessment and supplemental exposure.

I have no use for per-hour cost analysis, but I know it is important to others, so maybe someone else can break that down for you. For us, ODP is an easy hedge.

Comment

Thanks for clarifying. My D is NPL as well, and that is where the majority of our resources go - Time, Travel, $, Emotions. NPL is her "team". She really likes the girls, coach, etc. and wants to stay with NPL team. ODP offers external assessment and supplemental exposure.

I have no use for per-hour cost analysis, but I know it is important to others, so maybe someone else can break that down for you. For us, ODP is an easy hedge.
                      I second this. My kid is also NPL. Because she is a multi-sport athlete & wants to play HS, we chose to do NPL and not pursue ECNL/DA. And for us, ODP is a rather easy & relatively inexpensive supplement to her training and ID pathway opportunity. Kinda a no-brainer and definitely an easy hedge. Of course, I realize that this won’t be the case for others.

Comment

"I second this. My kid is also NPL. Because she is a multi-sport athlete & wants to play HS, we chose to do NPL and not pursue ECNL/DA. And for us, ODP is a rather easy & relatively inexpensive supplement to her training and ID pathway opportunity. Kinda a no-brainer and definitely an easy hedge. Of course, I realize that this won’t be the case for others."

Our daughter is in the same situation. An easy decision for us as well.

Comment

Maybe the best synopsis of "why odp" I have seen yet.

My summary:
                          For those players that want...
                          an "all-in" experience, DA is now fast track to ID
                          to still play HS, and commit to soccer, ECNL is most prestigious pathway
                          to stay with current team, or play other sports, ODP offers an ID pathway

If you are playing
                          DA, you don't need ODP
                          ECNL, your club will tell you ODP is useless, but if player doesn't get selected for ID2...
                          <other league> ODP gives you hope

Comment

Hay OP did your daughter got to tryouts? Did she like it?

Comment

Hay OP did your daughter got to tryouts? Did she like it?
                              Not the OP, but my D was at tryouts for 2004's. There were a number of NPL players she knew from her club. Most of the players at tryouts weren't particularly strong. On the field she was on, 3-4 players (out of 20+) stood out to her due to their combination of skill and athleticism.

Comment

The Girls 2007 Thread

Soccer Rap Wars:
                                Crew 1
                                What you about to hear are the sounds of MC ECNL and DJ DA - Hit it!

I wanna play right now, I'm DA and Im 'a put you down
                                We not internationally, known, but ECNL on all the coaches phones

Because we cost stupid, I mean outrageous,
                                gotta play for me, if you want stay-tus

Rapper 2
                                You down with ODP? Yeah you know me!!
                                Who's down with ODP? Every last re-crew-tee!

---------------------------
                                Make your own Decision Holmes.
                                TS ain't the place for keeping it real. Know whad un sayin?
                                This is the best post ever!!!!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X