Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Here is the problem and it is analogous to comparing the cost of a private college to a public college for a student athlete (my daughter is being recruited by both). Private school costs $72K per year all-in (tuition, room, meals, books, fees, etc.) but they are willing to give her several forms of aid (athletic, "merit" which is like a gift, academic, etc) with aid totaling about $50K leaving the cost to us about $22K per year.

The public school (think University of Florida) is only about $30K per year all-in but she would only get athletic aid of about $10K per year and Bright futures of about $7K per year leaving the cost to us about $13K per year. Sort of a no-brainer to go to the private school!

And how is it possible that the private school can offer so much aid? Because they do have some wealthy families paying the full amount of $72K per year to defray the cost for kids with a bunch of aid - but more importantly - the private school gets massive contributions from alumni and build large endowments so they can hand that money out freely.

Where is the large endowment going to come from for the residential soccer academies?
    No offense, but unless I'm missing something, your analysis is wrong. The cost of University of Florida would be cheaper by about 9k. You assert that going to the "private school" is a "no brainer". Why? The tuition at UF last year was just over $6k and it was ranked by U.S. News and world report at number 42 academically in the nation. The average GPA of an accepted freshman is 4.4 and the average SAT score is about 1400. The cost is significantly lower and the school is significantly better than most private schools.

Then there are the intangibles. UF has a massive alumni network in this state. If you kid plans on living in the state when she gets out of school, she will have a much better network for jobs etc. than a kid who went to a small out of state private school. I went to UF freshman year and then transferred to a well regarded private college in the north east. Given the totality of the circumstances I wish I had stayed at a public university.

Comment

No offense, but unless I'm missing something, your analysis is wrong. The cost of University of Florida would be cheaper by about 9k. You assert that going to the "private school" is a "no brainer". Why? The tuition at UF last year was just over $6k and it was ranked by U.S. News and world report at number 42 academically in the nation. The average GPA of an accepted freshman is 4.4 and the average SAT score is about 1400. The cost is significantly lower and the school is significantly better than most private schools.

Then there are the intangibles. UF has a massive alumni network in this state. If you kid plans on living in the state when she gets out of school, she will have a much better network for jobs etc. than a kid who went to a small out of state private school. I went to UF freshman year and then transferred to a well regarded private college in the north east. Given the totality of the circumstances I wish I had stayed at a public university.
      OP here. I have a son currently at University of Florida so I am well aware that it is a great "value" and has a lot to offer at it's price point - especially, as you point out, for kids that plan to settle down in Florida. A minor point - you claim that the cost of a year at Florida is $9K less than I stated (which was $30K) - I have no idea how you plan to have a kid attend Florida for $21K all-in (tuition, books, fees, meals, housing, etc.) - it's costing us closer to $30K. It is the right fit for my son and he's happy there.

However, I cannot agree with your statement that "... the school is significantly better than most private schools." The private schools our daughter's looking at are located in one of the most prosperous cities in the U.S. and they have strong, well organized internship programs with Fortune 500 headquarters with very high placement rates. Plus the teacher/student ratios are significantly better at the private schools - most of my son's classes are in auditoriums with up to 300 students - highly impersonal. My point is not to drag down UoF but you can't make a blanket statement it's better than most private schools.

Comment

interesting... a current DA player told me that they are having "tryouts" Sunday at Montverde...current DA players and the kids from Montverde...no offense Orlando City, but that is just wrong...

Comment

interesting... a current DA player told me that they are having "tryouts" Sunday at Montverde...current DA players and the kids from Montverde...no offense Orlando City, but that is just wrong...
          Tryouts are for mv players. No oc players can get cut this year.

Comment

Tryouts are for mv players. No oc players can get cut this year.

never said they were being cut... but they are required to be there Sunday along with the Montverde kids and if you think they will not sit a current DA on the bench, or do like they have done to other DA players and push them down to ECNL team, so that a Montverde player can be on field you are literally smoking crack.

Comment

Yes, it is the other side of the double edged sword. You don't pay anything but you can get demoted at any moment. Which is the way it should be at a club like OC. If there is a kid, a late bloomer perhaps, that has made a big jump while playing in the ECNL and you have another kid on the DA team that is taking his spot for granted and not working as hard, they should swap places without a doubt, mid season or not.

Comment

Yes, it is the other side of the double edged sword. You don't pay anything but you can get demoted at any moment. Which is the way it should be at a club like OC. If there is a kid, a late bloomer perhaps, that has made a big jump while playing in the ECNL and you have another kid on the DA team that is taking his spot for granted and not working as hard, they should swap places without a doubt, mid season or not.
                Ahhhh no ecnl kid will get looked at by mv coaches. It will be mv kids replacing some starters from oc.

Comment

This is 100% on point and I can't understand why people have a problem with it. This not rec, it's not even your traditional comp travel team. It's supposed to be high level competition, produce and contribute or get replaced.

There will always be some discrepancies of who should be on the team at the borderline, but that's just the way sports are.

Comment

How many parents are gonna say **** that drive to bum **** Montverde demote my son please

Comment

This is 100% on point and I can't understand why people have a problem with it. This not rec, it's not even your traditional comp travel team. It's supposed to be high level competition, produce and contribute or get replaced.

There will always be some discrepancies of who should be on the team at the borderline, but that's just the way sports are.

have no issue with it happening in the normal course of the season. But the e mail that went out to DA parents from Montverde said no kids would get dropped...just Montverde kids added... don't start the whole thing off with a half truth. just be up front..

Comment

OP here. I have a son currently at University of Florida so I am well aware that it is a great "value" and has a lot to offer at it's price point - especially, as you point out, for kids that plan to settle down in Florida. A minor point - you claim that the cost of a year at Florida is $9K less than I stated (which was $30K) - I have no idea how you plan to have a kid attend Florida for $21K all-in (tuition, books, fees, meals, housing, etc.) - it's costing us closer to $30K. It is the right fit for my son and he's happy there.

However, I cannot agree with your statement that "... the school is significantly better than most private schools." The private schools our daughter's looking at are located in one of the most prosperous cities in the U.S. and they have strong, well organized internship programs with Fortune 500 headquarters with very high placement rates. Plus the teacher/student ratios are significantly better at the private schools - most of my son's classes are in auditoriums with up to 300 students - highly impersonal. My point is not to drag down UoF but you can't make a blanket statement it's better than most private schools.
                        I generally don't like "blanket" statements but am guilty as charged. But my thinking is really a "bag for the buck" approach. For instance, I have a niece who went to UF undergrad - cost her very little especially since she had a lot of academic scholarships. She graduates from Georgetown law school this summer and is taking a job with a large wealth management firm in the midwest. If she had gone to a private university or college for undergrad her career trajectory probably would not have changed, but her costs would have gone up dramatically.

Comment

have no issue with it happening in the normal course of the season. But the e mail that went out to DA parents from Montverde said no kids would get dropped...just Montverde kids added... don't start the whole thing off with a half truth. just be up front..
                          If that what was truly said, someone is going to get fewer minutes of playing time. You can only roster 18 for any game. Right now they have 18 on the U15's, 26 on the U17's and 21 on the U19's. So, if they add the best players from the MV soccer pool, that means less playing time for the current DA kids. They might not drop your kid this year from the DA, but he will just become a practice player. At the older age groups, in the important games, they are damn sure going to be playing to win, so tough luck for those kids.

Comment

If that what was truly said, someone is going to get fewer minutes of playing time. You can only roster 18 for any game. Right now they have 18 on the U15's, 26 on the U17's and 21 on the U19's. So, if they add the best players from the MV soccer pool, that means less playing time for the current DA kids. They might not drop your kid this year from the DA, but he will just become a practice player. At the older age groups, in the important games, they are damn sure going to be playing to win, so tough luck for those kids.
                            Just going to make the better DA kids better and the others fall off. This is What DA should be. Earn your spot or enjoy watching.

Comment

Next year merging 02 & 03s it's going to be a bit crowded. But you still can't get away from no more free ride.

Comment

Just going to make the better DA kids better and the others fall off. This is What DA should be. Earn your spot or enjoy watching.

You're right, DA should be like that. Thing is, it was never really like that at OC. Most DA players were kids they tried to promote within and little to no recruiting until this year ; which by then was too late. My guess is sucking up top the good old boys will not work going forward. In 3-4 years they probably ran out 5-6 directors . And that's why its going to MVA.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X