Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    My post asking about DeRosa's license credentials did not make BOTN. Surprise surprise.

What happened to Surf's "transparency?"
    Google verifies she's a National Y

Comment

She's a non-factor on the GDA app. They want USSF A & B licenses. It's probably why she's coaching the old Alby 07 team.

Comment

She's a non-factor on the GDA app. They want USSF A & B licenses. It's probably why she's coaching the old Alby 07 team.
        Pretty cool for those girls to have a former Pro as a coach! Need more former pro women coaches in NY at the youth level.

Comment

Town scholarship model? Not a good comparison - two very different entities...sounds like that endowment is in play and being leveraged. Its good for those who receive so whats wrong here??? Why do you seem to have a problem with people receiving a scholarship?
          Nothing wrong with scholarships or endowments. But how could NY Surf have an endowment if it only came into existance 2 months ago? Only think I can think of is that the president and board have put up the money so that they can lure good players in. Either that or the model I suggested.

Comment

Pretty cool for those girls to have a former Pro as a coach! Need more former pro women coaches in NY at the youth level.
            Agree, so long as the former player knows how to coach. Plenty of players turned coaches out there who can't coach worth sh*t.

Three legit questions for readers:

1. Are you at a club that cuts players?
            2. Does anyone know of any Alby or EM players who started at the club at a young age and went all the way through (e.g. develop their own players) or do these clubs take on new and cut old?
            3. Does your club take on new and cut old?

(you can see where I am going with this in terms of Surf...)

Comment

Nothing wrong with scholarships or endowments. But how could NY Surf have an endowment if it only came into existance 2 months ago? Only think I can think of is that the president and board have put up the money so that they can lure good players in. Either that or the model I suggested.
              I believe its simply SD Surf's endowment as they are who is operating in market. What I heard is their NY executive team are experienced fundraisers with non-profit charity backgrounds thus why the Surf passed on others and take their time because people with that background are few and far between. Sounds like a good thing all of these scholarships - I agree with you that no one loses with scholarships...kids win.

Comment

IF she coaches any teams it will only start in the winter/spring; she'll be too busy in the fall for any coaching (one of my kids had a D3 college coach once; didn't see him until January). Chances are those U10 girls will never ever see her. College coaches should be coaching the HS aged teams - closer aligned with skill sets, prep them for college play etc.
                ^^^^^ so true. That or what another said - her daughter is that age. One thing ECNL pushes is that they have an army of college coaches, which means college connections. That's a huge selling point with parents. College coaches can't do a DA commitment. It will take time for GDA to fill their ranks with the coaches who meet standards. Boys DA coaches were granted some time to ramp up their licenses.

However, being a college coach, or even a highly licensed coach, doesn't mean they are a good coach or good for a certain age group, or more importantly a good fit for your kid.

Comment

Agree, so long as the former player knows how to coach. Plenty of players turned coaches out there who can't coach worth sh*t.
                  Or if that coach is at a level appropriate for the age they are coaching. One of my kids at U11 had a coach who was terrible with younger kids. It was a hellish year and he almost gave up on the sport altogether. That coach ended up moving into the college ranks and has done pretty well.

Comment

I believe its simply SD Surf's endowment as they are who is operating in market. What I heard is their NY executive team are experienced fundraisers with non-profit charity backgrounds thus why the Surf passed on others and take their time because people with that background are few and far between. Sounds like a good thing all of these scholarships - I agree with you that no one loses with scholarships...kids win.
                    No, Surf wins. In the end the parent is still paying $$. It may be less than full asking price but Surf is still getting your $$. It's the same at the college level. America is so focused on discounts that they don't see they are still paying $$. Surf will determine who they want to charge each person. The cash cows who pay full price will make up for the "discounts"'(scholarships). In the end, Surf still makes $$.

Comment

No, Surf wins. In the end the parent is still paying $$. It may be less than full asking price but Surf is still getting your $$. It's the same at the college level. America is so focused on discounts that they don't see they are still paying $$. Surf will determine who they want to charge each person. The cash cows who pay full price will make up for the "discounts"'(scholarships). In the end, Surf still makes $$.
                      The super stars get the discounts. That's usually how it works, along with the odd hardship scholarship. If you're paying full price you know where you stand in the pecking order. Same with college.

Comment

Have you done any research on that?

Comment

Have you done any research on that?
                          Here's some help: http://www.guidestar.org/ViewPdf.asp...ein=95-3731566

Comment

More: https://projects.propublica.org/nonp...ions/330617562

Comment

One more: https://www.citizenaudit.org/organiz...F%20CUP%20INC/

Comment

Sorry, for New York surf? Does the same apply?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X