Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    And CC scored twice on OA and was shutout by Arlington. You have no logic.
    Is the season over yet?

Comment

I thought it was very hard now to come/stay in US. Two of my co-workers have been sent back . One is married to an American and still had to go back! How do you come in March and set up shop? This mystery guy could be Mass Player Of The Year! and All - America. 34 goals is 24 games.

From Brockton Paper below:

The junior forward from Cape Verde capped his first season with the Boxers by scoring three goals and setting up two others in the state final, a 5-3 win over Longmeadow Saturday in Worcester.

At this time last year, he was living in Santiago, Cape Verde, and was unfamiliar with Brockton High School soccer.

One year later, LT helped deliver the Boxers their first state Division 1 championship in boys soccer.

LT, a junior forward, led the way as Brockton rallied to defeat Longmeadow High, 5-3, on Saturday at John F. Coughlin Field on the campus of Worcester State University.

He scored three goals and added a pair of assists – all in the second half – as the Boxers battled back from a 2-0 halftime deficit.
      Related content
      In Brockton, they are the newest faces of the ‘City of Champions’
      November 19, 2017
      Brockton breaks out in second half to seize state soccer title, 5-3
      November 18, 2017

LT, who arrived in the United States on March 23, finished his first season with 31 goals in 24 games.

“I knew this kid would be something,″ said Brockton coach Herminio Furtado. “I knew he had the talent.″

LT scored twice in the opening 15:44 of the second half to pull Brockton even, then set up the go-ahead goal by JR less than two minutes later.

He also fired a hard shot into the net following a Longmeadow turnover and assisted on an insurance goal by RR in the final two minutes.

“That’s our game plan, get the ball to his feet,″ said Furtado. “He’s a beast. He’s unstoppable. He’s tough to handle.″

LT said the Boxers were determined at halftime after not playing their best in the opening 40 minutes.

“On the field, everyone kept the morale up,″ said LT through an interpreter. “Coach told us not to put our heads down.″

Some of his Brockton teammates first got a look at LT when he showed up for practice in August and were immediately impressed.

“You could see in an instant he was good,″ said RR . “He’s been great. We needed him.″

LT became acquainted with soccer in the United States over the summer, playing against older players in Boston and Brockton.

“I learned how you needed to play,″ said LT.

LT began playing the sport at 5 years old in Cape Verde and he quickly learned how important soccer is in Brockton.

“I knew there was good soccer at the school,″ said LT , who moved to Brockton with his family. “To win the championship means a lot. It’s the first time for the city and our team.″

LT is a big reason why the state championship now resides in Brockton after all the contributions made in his first season at the school.

“I’m very happy if we are winning,″ he said. “That makes me happier than scoring goals.″

Jim Fenton may be reached at jfenton@enterprisenews.com. Follow him on Twitter at @JFenton_ent.
      Wake up to the day’s top news, delivered to your inbox

I watched Brockton play. Is LT the tall forward? He plays like a very mature player. With all this chatter now I am wondering how old he is. Certainly, immigrants have come to this country with questionable ages and grade placement.

Comment

I thought it was very hard now to come/stay in US. Two of my co-workers have been sent back . One is married to an American and still had to go back! How do you come in March and set up shop? This mystery guy could be Mass Player Of The Year! and All - America. 34 goals is 24 games.

From Brockton Paper below:

The junior forward from Cape Verde capped his first season with the Boxers by scoring three goals and setting up two others in the state final, a 5-3 win over Longmeadow Saturday in Worcester.

At this time last year, he was living in Santiago, Cape Verde, and was unfamiliar with Brockton High School soccer.

One year later, LT helped deliver the Boxers their first state Division 1 championship in boys soccer.

LT, a junior forward, led the way as Brockton rallied to defeat Longmeadow High, 5-3, on Saturday at John F. Coughlin Field on the campus of Worcester State University.

He scored three goals and added a pair of assists – all in the second half – as the Boxers battled back from a 2-0 halftime deficit.
        Related content
        In Brockton, they are the newest faces of the ‘City of Champions’
        November 19, 2017
        Brockton breaks out in second half to seize state soccer title, 5-3
        November 18, 2017

LT, who arrived in the United States on March 23, finished his first season with 31 goals in 24 games.

“I knew this kid would be something,″ said Brockton coach Herminio Furtado. “I knew he had the talent.″

LT scored twice in the opening 15:44 of the second half to pull Brockton even, then set up the go-ahead goal by JR less than two minutes later.

He also fired a hard shot into the net following a Longmeadow turnover and assisted on an insurance goal by RR in the final two minutes.

“That’s our game plan, get the ball to his feet,″ said Furtado. “He’s a beast. He’s unstoppable. He’s tough to handle.″

LT said the Boxers were determined at halftime after not playing their best in the opening 40 minutes.

“On the field, everyone kept the morale up,″ said LT through an interpreter. “Coach told us not to put our heads down.″

Some of his Brockton teammates first got a look at LT when he showed up for practice in August and were immediately impressed.

“You could see in an instant he was good,″ said RR . “He’s been great. We needed him.″

LT became acquainted with soccer in the United States over the summer, playing against older players in Boston and Brockton.

“I learned how you needed to play,″ said LT.

LT began playing the sport at 5 years old in Cape Verde and he quickly learned how important soccer is in Brockton.

“I knew there was good soccer at the school,″ said LT , who moved to Brockton with his family. “To win the championship means a lot. It’s the first time for the city and our team.″

LT is a big reason why the state championship now resides in Brockton after all the contributions made in his first season at the school.

“I’m very happy if we are winning,″ he said. “That makes me happier than scoring goals.″

Jim Fenton may be reached at jfenton@enterprisenews.com. Follow him on Twitter at @JFenton_ent.
        Wake up to the day’s top news, delivered to your inbox
        Question if this kid moved to the school last March from England would anyone care?
        So I guess any player that moves to the states can't play a sport in high school?
        I find it hard to believe a school would allow a coach to bring in a ringer from an other country.
        Also the kids a junior so he's going to be there for another year.
        Again some one questioned his age because of his size if he was from Ireland would it be an issue?

Comment

Question if this kid moved to the school last March from England would anyone care?
          So I guess any player that moves to the states can't play a sport in high school?
          I find it hard to believe a school would allow a coach to bring in a ringer from an other country.
          Again some one questioned his age because of his size if he was from Ireland would it be an issue?
          No -because he would be from Hingham or Duxbury and all the rich soccer moms would love his cute accent!

Comment

Your point is valid. If a scoring machine came to a local town from England or Ireland, there would likely not be much concern. If he arrived with a dozen or so fellow countrymen and transformed the local team, that would raise some eyebrows.

I have no idea what the Brockton situation is, but if a local coach had some connection to a club or program in Ireland or England and he was funneling players to a Mass HS, that would be a problem.

Comment

Sorry social justice warrior of the day. The questions being asked are valid and would remain valid no matter where the player is from.

Comment

White people from Massachusetts hate when black people succeed at their expense.

Comment

How low have we stooped when we're trying to take something good away from Brockton? Some of you should be embarrassed.

Comment

How low have we stooped when we're trying to take something good away from Brockton? Some of you should be embarrassed.
                    And this from a school that unapologetically collects all the athletic talent from the region then thinks it's fair to compete with public high schools that collect players from their district.

Comment

Whether they're trolling or serious, it's only a very few. Unless they have proof, it's not even worth a response.

Comment

And this from a school that unapologetically collects all the athletic talent from the region then thinks it's fair to compete with public high schools that collect players from their district.
                        Love when the Audi, BMW, Lexus, Range Rover crowd takes time out of their ISL carpooling to go after Brockton. So sorry Needham or Newton or SJP couldn't win again.

Comment

I'm sure these other poor, sad-sack districts feeling aggrieved offered to open their homes to Cape Verdeans and are really jealous of the swanky Brockton residential set-ups.

Comment

Your point is valid. If a scoring machine came to a local town from England or Ireland, there would likely not be much concern. If he arrived with a dozen or so fellow countrymen and transformed the local team, that would raise some eyebrows.

I have no idea what the Brockton situation is, but if a local coach had some connection to a club or program in Ireland or England and he was funneling players to a Mass HS, that would be a problem.
                            Having been the poster who questioned the age, I will say that it wouldn't matter what country the player came from. If they suddenly pop up on the radar and is an instant star playing such a mature game then someone has the right to wonder what the birth certificate reads.....Ireland, England, Cape Verde, Nigeria, Brazil, Somalia, Germany etc etc....white, black..... It has happened before and affected some of the club soccer, and perhaps the private school leagues. The teammates joked about the age of the player. The schools placed a player at their appropriate education level and considered the student athlete according to that grade and not necessarily the age..... on another occasion the player did not have a legitimate birth certificate and was placed and aged according to their education level.

There are rules as to how many years you are eligible to play a sport in high school and until what age you can play. So, yes!!! it is a legitimate question and concern about what to do when you have such a player without a legitimate birth certificate.

Comment

It is not limited to Brockton. Sharon won a state title several years back with a foreigner who was allegedly 21.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                                It is not limited to Brockton. Sharon won a state title several years back with a foreigner who was allegedly 21.
                                Every excuse because your kid couldn’t compete against another soccer player? College will be rough.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X