Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Just a Coach View Post
    There are 44 countries in Europe and they are all different. Kids do not need adult coaching to become competitive. They need a safe environment where they can play. Instead, we over-coach them from a very early age.
    I agree, but we have no choice, no one is playing in the park here. In the USA you have private coaches charging 75-100/hr to show the kids the same moves that kids all over the world figure out by playing pick up. It's the American way!

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      I agree, but we have no choice, no one is playing in the park here. In the USA you have private coaches charging 75-100/hr to show the kids the same moves that kids all over the world figure out by playing pick up. It's the American way!
      Have soccer clubs but no coaching till U14.You will notice a huge improvement immediately. Coaches are destroying our youth players.

Comment

Have soccer clubs but no coaching till U14.You will notice a huge improvement immediately. Coaches are destroying our youth players.
        You crazy. Are you a baseball parent or coach? It is not like the kids are playing pick up games at courts around the country. Have you seen rec kids with limited coaching or volunteer coaches? You will kill yourself watching that crap.

Comment

President of D.C. United and now CEO of US Club Soccer, Kevin Payne.

It's that lack of quality coaches that spoils young talent before it's even been giving a chance of progressing if it even spots it in the first place. It prevents more high schools from launching respectable soccer programs of their own and forces anybody with hopes of fulfilling their potential into the much-derided pay-for-play system.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...cer/107202272/

Coaches the real problem
          Totally agree with him! I know many who coach more than one team. In my view it is very difficult to develop individual players when one coaches multiple teams. To really coach properly you should be with one team. Coaching for excellence is hard work.
          The actual sessions are just part of the process, the planning and preparation for training and games is vital and the detail and coaching methodology needs to be analyzed, well thought out, precise and effective.

The players need individual coaching as well as team coaching if the coach really wants to improve them no matter what their standard is.

Comment

Totally agree with him! I know many who coach more than one team. In my view it is very difficult to develop individual players when one coaches multiple teams. To really coach properly you should be with one team. Coaching for excellence is hard work.
            The actual sessions are just part of the process, the planning and preparation for training and games is vital and the detail and coaching methodology needs to be analyzed, well thought out, precise and effective.

The players need individual coaching as well as team coaching if the coach really wants to improve them no matter what their standard is.
            How else will I be able to provide for my family? I ain't sitting in an office and working 40 hours a week? that ain't for me...

Comment

Originally posted by Just a Coach View Post
              Considering that up to about 12-13 years old all the coach has to do is let them play...
              More just a "coach" garbage. Is that what's happening at La Mesia?

Comment

The USDA has to involve with the school system (E, M, HS). If we have good coaches in schools that create rivals and the fans watch good games. The soccer will grow really fast and you will see kids playing at parks. That stop the pay and play and US will be strong in soccer. It's how works here in USA.

Comment

so you want schools to pay for youth soccer? schools should get rid of all sports and focus on education.

Comment

so you want schools to pay for youth soccer? schools should get rid of all sports and focus on education.
                    Do you think the sports are not education? :(

Comment

Beyond that coaching, which is a large issue it is the kids don't really love the sport. They practice their requisite three times a week for a total of 4 1/2 hours. Rarely do these kids rush home, grab cleats and play with their friend on their own until the sun sets. That is where these kids develop their creativity, this is where they get that extra work and find the love for the sport. We have never been, nor will we ever be a soccer-obsessed country and as a result, we will never have the level of players that smaller countries do. The sports in the life many of the countries, at least from a athletics perspective. Kids grow up watching the sport and dreaming of being one of their heroes. They see them do moves in games and go out and try them with their friends for hours on end until they get it. DO we really see any youth in the US doing this? Coaching is a big problem, but it starts with the athletes who just don't truly love the sport enough.
                      This is it. can't fault our kids either. They are all taught education is so important, and they need to get home and study. Asking to them to be as good as other kids who put soccer way above everything else isn't feasible or fair. As parents, if we're not willing to let them put education a distant second to soccer, then we have to understand when we produce soccer players that are a distant second to other soccer players. Sacrifices have to be made that most of us, as parents, don't want to make with education.

Comment

More just a "coach" garbage. Is that what's happening at La Mesia?
                        Why do you think La Masia do everything right?

Comment

This is it. can't fault our kids either. They are all taught education is so important, and they need to get home and study. Asking to them to be as good as other kids who put soccer way above everything else isn't feasible or fair. As parents, if we're not willing to let them put education a distant second to soccer, then we have to understand when we produce soccer players that are a distant second to other soccer players. Sacrifices have to be made that most of us, as parents, don't want to make with education.
                          You need to well rounded if you are dedicated you can do both. Can give examples of players that played recently that excelled at both.

It all comes down to time management. My son u12-u18 played on a competitive team made state cup final four, played 4 yrs varsity high school to districts, drove 40 minutes to get to practice, play varsity football and track. Traveled to many out of town tournament and game countless weekend in hotels. Also, had a part-time job.

In the end, finished 2nd in his class salutatorian, 4s, and 5s on his AP exam, 800 math 690 verbal SAT earned a full-ride academic scholarship.

It can be done you just have to work at it.

He elected to accept the academic scholarship. He is not playing on a college soccer team by choice.

I can give you an example of a few players with similar stories that are playing in college at Ivy League schools.

It just depends on how committed you are

Comment

You need to well rounded if you are dedicated you can do both. Can give examples of players that played recently that excelled at both.

It all comes down to time management. My son u12-u18 played on a competitive team made state cup final four, played 4 yrs varsity high school to districts, drove 40 minutes to get to practice, play varsity football and track. Traveled to many out of town tournament and game countless weekend in hotels. Also, had a part-time job.

In the end, finished 2nd in his class salutatorian, 4s, and 5s on his AP exam, 800 math 690 verbal SAT earned a full-ride academic scholarship.

It can be done you just have to work at it.

He elected to accept the academic scholarship. He is not playing on a college soccer team by choice.

I can give you an example of a few players with similar stories that are playing in college at Ivy League schools.

It just depends on how committed you are
                            I think you missed the point, and your post makes the point in the posts above. No doubt your child is hardworking and dedicated to both and has done very well as a soccer player and student by US standards. But he's not going to be a top in the world player the likes of which come from other countries. That's the point. Because he split himself equally, like a lot of top US players do. and wisely, he ultimately chose education, like a lot do in the US. Players who end up playing in ivy league schools are not going to be top in the world players. But they are very accomplished men with bright futures for sure.

So to reiterate, all of the discussion about why US soccer sucks so much compared to other countries is explained mostly, I believe, because of a lesser dedication to the sport in the US which is to be expected due to the educational opportunities.

Comment

I have a great idea. Lets import millions of uneducated unskilled workers so we can have immense slums like south and central america. Out of these slums will arise world class players who will not need a pay for play system. We already have the example of basketball and football. Then all you idiots can drop your kidd off for some street soccer

Comment

I have a great idea. Lets import millions of uneducated unskilled workers so we can have immense slums like south and central america. Out of these slums will arise world class players who will not need a pay for play system. We already have the example of basketball and football. Then all you idiots can drop your kidd off for some street soccer
                                Like your grandpa did it, right?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X