Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the politics of soccer

Why the hell does youth soccer have to be so political? It isn't just the clubs themselves and the coaches. It's the darn parents and players. Parents jealous over another kid's talent isolating the kid's parents and their kids isolating the player. Kid plays on a top team and treated poorly because of jealousy. Moves to a lesser team in hopes of getting away from that crap only to encounter it there too. It's sick! I really don't understand why. Most of these kids are not going to get scholarships. Is that what all this is driven by?

What's your point? By that I mean, that probably every youth sports club is political. What is your rant in regards too? The FYSA draw? ODP? Club/team selection of players? Could be just about anything.

Comment

Originally posted by thebes20 View Post
      What's your point? By that I mean, that probably every youth sports club is political. What is your rant in regards too? The FYSA draw? ODP? Club/team selection of players? Could be just about anything.
      It could be about all of the above. And no, soccer is not like the other sports. Somebody picks up a baseball bat and can hit the ball, you can tell. Soccer is much harder to tell the haves from the havenots. That is why youth soccer is a political problem, because everybody thinks their kid is an all-star.

Comment

The politics is centered on the coach not the players or the parents. They decide who is good and who is not and who plays and who does not.

The parents pay the dollars and have little decision making other then at whree to go for tryouts and what club to pay.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          Why the hell does youth soccer have to be so political? It isn't just the clubs themselves and the coaches. It's the darn parents and players. Parents jealous over another kid's talent isolating the kid's parents and their kids isolating the player. Kid plays on a top team and treated poorly because of jealousy. Moves to a lesser team in hopes of getting away from that crap only to encounter it there too. It's sick! I really don't understand why. Most of these kids are not going to get scholarships. Is that what all this is driven by?
          Politics in Youth Sports?? NO WAY! You have to be kidding me (and everyone else!)

Comment

Originally posted by thebes20 View Post
            The point is that too many people are so wrapped up in their own little warped world that they don't let the kids merely play. If a kid is better than the others, they often isolate the kid to make them feel they don't belong. If a kid isn't quite as good as others they don't think they should even be on the field. Whatever happened to just letting the kids play. I have two kids, and each falls on the opposite end of the spectrum. One is a gifted athlete, the other isn't. The gifted athlete plays on a competitive team, and she constantly feels the wrath of jealousy. The other plays rec ball and has been taunted so much for not being fast that she has decided to quit as what is the point if it isn't fun. This is plain stupid. Team sports should be teaching kids to learn how to be part of a team. Instead of being inclusive it turns out to be the opposite.

Go ahead those who want to laugh at this post, because you are exactly why this is a problem. Teach your kids to stomp on others. That sure is something to be proud of.

Comment

If you are getting treated the same a different places, maybe the problem is your child or you ??

Comment

It could be about all of the above. And no, soccer is not like the other sports. Somebody picks up a baseball bat and can hit the ball, you can tell. Soccer is much harder to tell the haves from the havenots. That is why youth soccer is a political problem, because everybody thinks their kid is an all-star.
                After been involved with youth baseball, softball, soccer and football for over 10 years, I'd have to say yes, they are all the same. Parents all think their kids are the best, coaches have favorites, they think their kids are the best and play them more often, parents argue on the sidelines, in the bleachers, in the stands. It's all the same. Youth soccer is no better or worse than any other.

Comment

The point is that too many people are so wrapped up in their own little warped world that they don't let the kids merely play. If a kid is better than the others, they often isolate the kid to make them feel they don't belong. If a kid isn't quite as good as others they don't think they should even be on the field. Whatever happened to just letting the kids play. I have two kids, and each falls on the opposite end of the spectrum. One is a gifted athlete, the other isn't. The gifted athlete plays on a competitive team, and she constantly feels the wrath of jealousy. The other plays rec ball and has been taunted so much for not being fast that she has decided to quit as what is the point if it isn't fun. This is plain stupid. Team sports should be teaching kids to learn how to be part of a team. Instead of being inclusive it turns out to be the opposite.

Go ahead those who want to laugh at this post, because you are exactly why this is a problem. Teach your kids to stomp on others. That sure is something to be proud of.
                  Welcome to the Club. You are not alone. We had the same experience not too long ago. THIS SPORT IS STUPID! PERIOD! Too, many stupid people around our kids. We are now in Jujitso. At least my kid can throw a couple of punches before falling down again.

Comment

most of the politics is caused by the PARENTS either straight on or inadvertly. I grew up playing and my parents had no idea what was going on selections, awards, none of it, I needed a ride for the region tryouts and they said "what for". But of course I was super involved in my kids, for some reason times have changed. So after figuring out a few thing I realized they have to solve it themselves, thats what creates the problem solvers and the fortitude. i drop my daughter off and go play pickup or work out or read. same with my son.

My daughters team is in constant turmoil because of the meddling parents, if you dont go to their practices and you ask them afterwards , how was practice they usually say " great or awesome" their perception and experiences are not the same as the parents.

And you have parent coaches, parent DOC's, parent directors, so none of what goes on is objective, only political.

Comment

I would not say that ALL of the political drama is caused by parents (only about 85%). I know of a club that has a non-parent DOC and there is tons of drama there due to the perception (or is it?!?) that he has favorite teams and spends more time w/ them then he does the other travel teams.

I have been lucky in the sense that except for a boys team I coached several years ago, I have not had many parental issues. It seems odd since I now coach girls and you would think from some of the posts on this board that their parents are all demon possessed. Are there issues, yes. There are at every club and in everysport. If you don't like the politics, play an individual sport like golf or tennis. Then there is no one to blame but yourself.

Comment

Drama and politics are rampant and will continue as long as you have parent-coaches, parent-managers, and parent or coaches as board members or directors. No matter how well a person tries to separate themselves, and most do not, it clouds their judgement one way or the other.

Maybe there should be a rule that you never have the same coach twice, or a parent coach as that could help favoritism. If the same issues continue then you would have to ask yourself if you are the problem.

Comment

Of course you must be the parent of the "star child" and you want us all to know how horrible it is for you and your kid to be constantly singled out because you have the next Freddy Adeu or Mia Ham. Congratulations. We should all be so lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by registered username View Post
                            Drama and politics are rampant and will continue as long as you have parent-coaches, parent-managers, and parent or coaches as board members or directors. No matter how well a person tries to separate themselves, and most do not, it clouds their judgement one way or the other.

Maybe there should be a rule that you never have the same coach twice, or a parent coach as that could help favoritism. If the same issues continue then you would have to ask yourself if you are the problem.
                            all paid coaches and trainers...sure..did the tooth fairy leave money under your pillow?

Comment

No wonder is a disaster in America. Club staff is all about aligning their pockets. Tryouts and they don’t pick the most deserving players that worked their asses off! Instead they choose the same below average players to bring back team managers, treasurer, stats mom, and super soccer mom that knows better than then anyone else.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X