Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To add injury time or not to add injury time

My son plays on an NYCSL NPL team and I've always wondered what the official rule is for adding injury time.

Some refs add time at the end of a game with no notable injuries or delays and some don't add time when there is a 5-minute break for injuries.

I believe the rules say it is at the refs discretion, but surely there should be some consistency, no?

Also, I'd love it if refs were willing to deny a late-game substitution from a coach trying to waste time. That too is well within their rights, but they never do it.

Tournaments can't let games run late. Refs that have to get to another game are less likely to let a game run late. Ref's that are being abused by coaches/parents aren't inclined to let a game run late, unless the team not treating him like crap is in the middle of a last second comeback. If the team that is down is showing no signs of being able to move the ball to the final third, the ref is less likely to add time. Then you have the refs that just forget to look at their clock, or are using a two decades old stopwatch that is no longer keeping time accurately and let games run long by accident. That all being said, I think most refs do a pretty good job at adding a couple minutes when faced with obvious stalling tactics. And it's easier for them to quietly add some extra time rather than argue with a coach over allowing a last minute substitute.

Comment

Just not a big deal about the subbing. If it's allowed in the rules then it's allowed. Yes it's kind of pathetic when coaches or players stall, but it happens all the time, even professionally. Most refs do a solid job with watching the clock. They are generally cognizant of keeping games on time. 99% of the time the next two teams are warming up nearby in plain view. It's not that often when adding a few injury minutes might possibly change the outcome of a game.

Comment

I'd also like to point out that many coaches, including myself, will often do some late game substitutions just to try evening out playing time. Sometimes kids ride the bench longer than we like and we try to make up for it by throwing them in there for the last few minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          I'd also like to point out that many coaches, including myself, will often do some late game substitutions just to try evening out playing time. Sometimes kids ride the bench longer than we like and we try to make up for it by throwing them in there for the last few minutes.
          Yeah we notice it coach. Garbage time is awesome for development

Comment

Tell your kid to work harder. OP isn't asking about rec soccer. If it's a tight game of course a coach will leave in the player he thinks will deliver the win. He'll give more PT in wider margin games. Parents care about winning records, so what are coaches and clubs supposed to do?

Comment

Development happens in practice, not games.

Would you rather they not play the extra minutes?

Comment

Development happens in practice, not games.

Would you rather they not play the extra minutes?
                Sorry coach. It happens at both places. It may begin at practice but it's applied at games.

Nope don't throw garbage minutes to make you feel better. It certainly doesn't make the player feel or develop better.

If you didn't have a plan going in how to give players meaningful minutes then you aren't developing your entire roster.

Comment

Tell your kid to work harder. OP isn't asking about rec soccer. If it's a tight game of course a coach will leave in the player he thinks will deliver the win. He'll give more PT in wider margin games. Parents care about winning records, so what are coaches and clubs supposed to do?
                  Don't need to worry about my player. Just making a point that throwing kids in at garbarge time minutes doesn't help the kid

It's noticed for what it is ...

Comment

Sorry coach. It happens at both places. It may begin at practice but it's applied at games.

Nope don't throw garbage minutes to make you feel better. It certainly doesn't make the player feel or develop better.

If you didn't have a plan going in how to give players meaningful minutes then you aren't developing your entire roster.
                    So if throughout the game I realize that one of my players only got 15 or 20 minutes, so I decide to throw another 5 minutes his way, that is bad, for some reason ...

Comment

So if throughout the game I realize that one of my players only got 15 or 20 minutes, so I decide to throw another 5 minutes his way, that is bad, for some reason ...
                      If you notice throughout the game why not play them then and not in garbage time.

Comment

If you notice throughout the game why not play them then and not in garbage time.
                        I can't even believe I have to defend this. I have up to 7 players on my bench. I don't keep a clock running all game making sure every one gets the exact same playing time. No coach does. But towards the end I do a mental check and try to think if I shorted someone time, and if I did, I try to correct that.

Someone has to be playing the last five minutes. And I'm not sure why you think it's better that the kid that already played 40 or 50 minutes get the extra playing time over the kid that may have only gotten 15 to 20.

Comment

I can't even believe I have to defend this. I have up to 7 players on my bench. I don't keep a clock running all game making sure every one gets the exact same playing time. No coach does. But towards the end I do a mental check and try to think if I shorted someone time, and if I did, I try to correct that.

Someone has to be playing the last five minutes. And I'm not sure why you think it's better that the kid that already played 40 or 50 minutes get the extra playing time over the kid that may have only gotten 15 to 20.
                          It's not rocket science coach to sub your players. If you can only do a mental check at the end of the game. There's a problem

Comment

It's not rocket science coach to sub your players. If you can only do a mental check at the end of the game. There's a problem
                            You do realize that in travel you don't do equal playing time, right?

Comment

You do realize that in travel you don't do equal playing time, right?
                              i am neither of you guys, (OP or otherwise) how many rostered? is it U13? or 14?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X