Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    well, my kid actually plays there and I stand by my comment. there are ways to deal with poor refs. Getting tossed is not one of them. this is not pro sports. Protecting a player. where do you draw the line.
    The line is clear: physical violence and foul language. Everything else is fair in the name of injury prevention. Have you had a kid suffer through ACL surgery/rehab?

Comment

your hypothetical is rather dramatic. Fouls are part of the game. You have no idea what the result will be. Kids damage ACLs in non contact fashion. If a ref is that bad and putting players at risk, why get tossed? surely it would be better to take your team off the field if that bad?
      bad fouls can cause serious injury that is not part of the game.

Comment

well, my kid actually plays there and I stand by my comment. there are ways to deal with poor refs. Getting tossed is not one of them. this is not pro sports. Protecting a player. where do you draw the line.
        Guessing your kid is on the B team.
        Elaborate...What alternative "ways" are there to "deal" with "poor refs" who by everyone's account was allowing dangerous play to escalate?

Comment

Elaborate...What alternative "ways" are there to "deal" with "poor refs" who by everyone's account was allowing dangerous play to escalate?
          Well, one thing I thought we all could agree with was that getting sent off in a 12-year old girl's soccer game was NOT the way to handle it.

I guess I was wrong. Seems this the correct way.

Hmmm.

Wow.

Comment

Well, one thing I thought we all could agree with was that getting sent off in a 12-year old girl's soccer game was NOT the way to handle it.

Hmmm.

Wow.
            LI'er here, but I had to chime in. Recently, my kid's team played a ridiculously physical team with a ref who refused to call a foul. It was so bad, I started recording it on my phone and sent the video into the governing association as well as the league.

We had 2 players come off the field bleeding, one concussed and out for 2 weeks and my kid is in a boot out for 4 weeks. These are 13 year old girls. I would've loved if someone intervened and tried to minimize the damage.

I actually applaud the WC DOC for getting involved and trying to protect the kids and couldn't care less that he was tossed from the game.

Comment

Hmmm.

Wow.
              You are thinking too concretely in my opinion: You believe that the fact that a coach was sent off is incontrovertible evidence that his behavior was poor and he should be criticized. I disagree. The mere fact that a coach was "sent off" actually means very little. Refs send off coaches who are not inappropriate in their interactions, but only because the ref is flexing and showing his/her power in response to challenge. Some refs, conversely, do not send off coaches who actually are inappropriate at times when you have a meek ref who is getting run over.
              Those witness to the event say that the coach was upset and worried about the safety of his players. To my ear, he had reason to be upset and a hot head ref flexing his muscle sent him off. Not a problem in my book.

Comment

Hmmm.

Wow.
                Im with you. those arguing against it are lost. If a ref is really a danger to a single player, then he/she is a danger to all .

Stop the game and take your players off the field. Why get tossed , leaving the ref to carry on AND exposing your players to more danger if indeed that was the motivation for getting tossed.

its so great how people come out with comments like

assuming that becasue i dont condone it and /or disagree , my kid must be a B teamer.

Actually my kids will be playing soccer in College this year, but thats really not relevant to my PoV

Comment

LI'er here, but I had to chime in. Recently, my kid's team played a ridiculously physical team with a ref who refused to call a foul. It was so bad, I started recording it on my phone and sent the video into the governing association as well as the league.

We had 2 players come off the field bleeding, one concussed and out for 2 weeks and my kid is in a boot out for 4 weeks. These are 13 year old girls. I would've loved if someone intervened and tried to minimize the damage.

I actually applaud the WC DOC for getting involved and trying to protect the kids and couldn't care less that he was tossed from the game.
                  Again, how is that protecting the kids? its not. its letting your emotion actually get in the way of protecting the kids. take them off the field. its very simple. stop playing. Why is that so hard to understand?

Comment

You are thinking too concretely in my opinion: You believe that the fact that a coach was sent off is incontrovertible evidence that his behavior was poor and he should be criticized. I disagree. The mere fact that a coach was "sent off" actually means very little. Refs send off coaches who are not inappropriate in their interactions, but only because the ref is flexing and showing his/her power in response to challenge. Some refs, conversely, do not send off coaches who actually are inappropriate at times when you have a meek ref who is getting run over.
                    Those witness to the event say that the coach was upset and worried about the safety of his players. To my ear, he had reason to be upset and a hot head ref flexing his muscle sent him off. Not a problem in my book.
                    So hot headed behavior justifies more of it? wow . some people are just lost.

Comment

Again, how is that protecting the kids? its not. its letting your emotion actually get in the way of protecting the kids. take them off the field. its very simple. stop playing. Why is that so hard to understand?
                      I have seen lots of good refs and lot of poor refs. Never seen a team yanked off the field mid game.

Comment

To clear up some misconceptions:

*This was NOT against a PDA team. It was a PDA tournament.
                        *I saw fouls going both ways.
                        *One foul, that appears to be the straw that broke his back, was missed. Kid was hurt. It was not malicious, but it was a foul nonetheless.
                        *WC won the game, 3-1
                        *I have never, not a single time, seen a ref send off a 12-year old girls coach before.
                        *He basically asked for it, was out of control, and had to go. I didn't think that part was in debate. The debate was more if one felt it was appropriate

The lesson taught that day, and reinforced here, is that the solution on how to address a bad ref is to yell and scream and get sent off. These are kids, they are there to learn.

Comment

To clear up some misconceptions:

*This was NOT against a PDA team. It was a PDA tournament.
                          *I saw fouls going both ways.
                          *One foul, that appears to be the straw that broke his back, was missed. Kid was hurt. It was not malicious, but it was a foul nonetheless.
                          *WC won the game, 3-1
                          *I have never, not a single time, seen a ref send off a 12-year old girls coach before.
                          *He basically asked for it, was out of control, and had to go. I didn't think that part was in debate. The debate was more if one felt it was appropriate

The lesson taught that day, and reinforced here, is that the solution on how to address a bad ref is to yell and scream and get sent off. These are kids, they are there to learn.
                          thumbs up . Totally agree

Comment

So hot headed behavior justifies more of it? wow . some people are just lost.
                            Why do you think he was being hot headed? The ref was a vindictive a-hole. Chris was loud but not unreasonable.

Comment

I have seen lots of good refs and lot of poor refs. Never seen a team yanked off the field mid game.
                              are you not paying attention ? my point is that getting a red card in the name of protecting players is not protecting anyone. If it was that bad, take your team off the field. It it was just a bad ref ( as I suspect it was) then no excuse at all for getting sent off.

Comment

Why do you think he was being hot headed? The ref was a vindictive a-hole. Chris was loud but not unreasonable.
                                you seem focused in the wrong place. Do you think there were no better ways to handle it? if so, then lets just agree to disagree.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X