Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Competent training on LI without having to pay big bucks?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Competent training on LI without having to pay big bucks?

Hello. I am hoping that someone can help me out in the interest of a talented pre-teen age soccer player (my son) who is serious about developing as a player.

He has been playing on town rec league teams since Kindergarten. After playing a few seasons he has consistently been one of the top 1-2 kids on his team / top 5 kids in the league. I’m not saying that to brag, especially considering the lower level competition, I’m just giving context that he’s excelled thus far in limited capacity and now that he’s a bit older I’d like to see him against better competition. However, I have watched some “travel” teams his age play and am confident with his skill set that he would easily pass try-outs in almost all but the most extremely advanced programs.

To date we have avoided the whole “travel” thing for numerous reasons, primarily because (especially at the younger ages) it’s mostly a waste of money, it’s mostly just a status thing for the parents, it leads to over-use injuries and burn-out, etc.

His current team does not have a trainer; the parent coaches do not have any idea of how to train the players to play a possession-based game. This was fine for 5-10 year olds running around having fun, but as he starts gets into teen years he needs to be on a team that can play with proper tactics.

What I need to do as a parent is provide him with the best possible development avenue without going “overboard” (from a time and money perspective).

If anyone can please give some recommendations on an appropriate trainer/team/club/league based on the following criteria:

This is what I want:

- Competent coach/trainer who
    a) Understands how to teach possession / attack building tactics
    b) knows how to get kids out of the “blast it and run it down” mode
    c) is focused on long-term player development
    - 8-10 game fall and spring seasons (plus a couple of tournaments if possible)
    - reasonable fees (ideally approx. $650 or less combined for fall+spring seasons)
    - max 2 practices per week
    - Central-ish LI home field / practice location

This is what I do not want:

- “full year” / 10-month commitment, winter/summer training/games
    - total fees above $1k / year
    - away games / tourneys off of LI

I know an 100% match is highly unlikely, but does something remotely like this even exist?

I don’t care if the right fit is called “travel” or not. I don’t care if the team/club/league is considered “prestigious” or “elite”. I just want to find some sanity in this insanity (if that’s possible).

Bottom line – is there a way to get competent training without having to pay big bucks / devote your whole life to the team?

If you are kind enough to reply, please do so with the understanding that I am not very familiar with all of the thousand acronyms / abbreviations that are used on these message boards. If you do use them, a brief explanation would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hello. I am hoping that someone can help me out in the interest of a talented pre-teen age soccer player (my son) who is serious about developing as a player.

He has been playing on town rec league teams since Kindergarten. After playing a few seasons he has consistently been one of the top 1-2 kids on his team / top 5 kids in the league. I’m not saying that to brag, especially considering the lower level competition, I’m just giving context that he’s excelled thus far in limited capacity and now that he’s a bit older I’d like to see him against better competition. However, I have watched some “travel” teams his age play and am confident with his skill set that he would easily pass try-outs in almost all but the most extremely advanced programs.

To date we have avoided the whole “travel” thing for numerous reasons, primarily because (especially at the younger ages) it’s mostly a waste of money, it’s mostly just a status thing for the parents, it leads to over-use injuries and burn-out, etc.

His current team does not have a trainer; the parent coaches do not have any idea of how to train the players to play a possession-based game. This was fine for 5-10 year olds running around having fun, but as he starts gets into teen years he needs to be on a team that can play with proper tactics.

What I need to do as a parent is provide him with the best possible development avenue without going “overboard” (from a time and money perspective).

If anyone can please give some recommendations on an appropriate trainer/team/club/league based on the following criteria:

This is what I want:

- Competent coach/trainer who
    a) Understands how to teach possession / attack building tactics
    b) knows how to get kids out of the “blast it and run it down” mode
    c) is focused on long-term player development
    - 8-10 game fall and spring seasons (plus a couple of tournaments if possible)
    - reasonable fees (ideally approx. $650 or less combined for fall+spring seasons)
    - max 2 practices per week
    - Central-ish LI home field / practice location

This is what I do not want:

- “full year” / 10-month commitment, winter/summer training/games
    - total fees above $1k / year
    - away games / tourneys off of LI

I know an 100% match is highly unlikely, but does something remotely like this even exist?

I don’t care if the right fit is called “travel” or not. I don’t care if the team/club/league is considered “prestigious” or “elite”. I just want to find some sanity in this insanity (if that’s possible).

Bottom line – is there a way to get competent training without having to pay big bucks / devote your whole life to the team?

If you are kind enough to reply, please do so with the understanding that I am not very familiar with all of the thousand acronyms / abbreviations that are used on these message boards. If you do use them, a brief explanation would be appreciated.

Thank you.
    No. If you want the best, it's Barca and you will have to sacrifice some of your points. If you want mediocrity, look elsewhere.

Comment

No. If you want the best, it's Barca and you will have to sacrifice some of your points. If you want mediocrity, look elsewhere.
      you may have opened up pandora's box here. you will get a multitude of opinions. regarding Barca. I agree, my son is there and it is the right thing for us. If your son is not ready, it may not be for him. they are NOT focused on winning.

If he is coming from intramural only, then maybe start him on LIJSL - Long Island Junior Soccer League - and see where he fits. this most likely will be the closest to home for you if you see where your town travel team plays. depending on the division, you may be travelling but not off LI. check New York Club Soccer League (NYCSL) in his age group. Division-wise, this is more challenging than LIJSL overall. find a team that is close to home and maybe see what they offer.

Another good way is to try some of the elite clinics to see where he stacks up against the so-called more skilled players. most higher level clubs offer these types of things. Good luck and most of all, good luck to your son!

Comment

I am not at Barca, but I have to say they are very intriguing. There is no arguing their success. I am just too far to consider that program, but if I wasn’t you have to at least take a look.

Comment

Also consider sending your son to a Red Bulls residential summer camp for a week or two. It made a tremendous difference to my son, who did it for 3 summers and who loved it. Highly recommend it. It is the tryout based camp.

Comment

Advice. Stay away when you read a comment like this. Just think about at it you will see what I mean.

Question is is the boy Pre teen like 10 or 12. Also what is he doing when he doesn’t train with the current team.

Comment

thanks for the helpful replies, especially the Red Bulls camp. sounds interesting.

pre-teen means "older than 9 and younger than 13"

when not training with the current team, he practices soccer by himself / with friends / with me. he also plays basketball, hockey/ice skating and tennis recreationally.

Comment

Easy, go play for Ronkonkoma. While some teams use paid trainers, some don't. And even the ones that do don't charge much for it. The club has the lowest registration and uniform fees around. And despite the low cost they have half a dozen teams that are playing at high levels in NYPL, EDP and LIJSL.

Comment

What year was he born ?

Comment

What year was he born ?

Seems to be a secret

Comment

Seems to be a secret
                      born in 1980.

Comment

If you are interested in him learning how to play possession based soccer, you have to at least consider Barca, although I'm sure it is more than your stated budget. Another Town team option I would recommend is Hauppauge. Great trainer, low fees.

Comment

I think you're going to have to give in on 1-2 of your requirements, most likely you're going to have to pay more than $1000 to get the training you want and you're also likely to want to be at a club that has some level of indoor training during the winter.

Also, if your son plays at a better club, you'll have to give a little on the "not leaving Long Island" part.

Comment

One option is to get together with 2-3 other families and split the cost of a good trainer. Kids need to be of a similar skill set. Even if it means more driving, encourage him to do more pick up games, work in the backyard (there's lots of training videos on line), ball at his feet as much as possible. If he complains and you have to cajole him into putting in more effort then you're wasting your time. He has to want it.

Comment

If you are interested in him learning how to play possession based soccer, you have to at least consider Barca, although I'm sure it is more than your stated budget. Another Town team option I would recommend is Hauppauge. Great trainer, low fees.
                              Hauppauge has the best trainer on the island. He's also cute!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X