Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is ODP ever worth it?

Read a couple past threads on the subject. General consensus seems to be that ODP is not worth it for the best players. What about for a girl who will not play GDA or ECNL due to distance and probably won't get selected for an NPL team due to not having the right connections? Any value?

It depends what you mean by 'worth it'. ODP costs are not insignificant, practices are in Milford through winter then Pembroke in Spring.

If cost and locations are not an issue for you, the player pool and coaching should on average be better than most travel teams.

Comment

As a side note - I really dislike the fact that ODP is 'self-funding' i.e. participating players have to cover the expenses. I wish NHSA/USYS could fund it another way and not exclude players who cannot afford it.

Comment

"Connections" to make an NPL team? First...what does that mean? You didn't make it and there must be some other reason?

From what I see from ODP coaching, it's not at the level it was years ago.

Comment

Who are the ODP coaches? They are listed anywhere...

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
            Who are the ODP coaches? They are listed anywhere...
            Only the Coaching Director and Admin Staff are listed here http://www.soccernh.com/contact-nh-odp

Comment

"Connections" to make an NPL team? First...what does that mean? You didn't make it and there must be some other reason?
              Nah. Will tryout in June but don't expect an offer. It's obvious that the coaches prefer the kids with siblings who play NPL and the parents who scream their way to the top. Not a lot of opportunity for a hard working, coachable kid whose parents don't suck up or complain daily.

Comment

It depends what you mean by 'worth it'. ODP costs are not insignificant, practices are in Milford through winter then Pembroke in Spring.

If cost and locations are not an issue for you, the player pool and coaching should on average be better than most travel teams.
                Would the player pool and coaching be better than a B level club team? Wondering if there's any value to doing ODP along with club.

Comment

Nah. Will tryout in June but don't expect an offer. It's obvious that the coaches prefer the kids with siblings who play NPL and the parents who scream their way to the top. Not a lot of opportunity for a hard working, coachable kid whose parents don't suck up or complain daily.
                  Whiner it is. I have a child in NPL

1) No sibling on an NPL team. No other teammates have siblings that play NPL
                  2) Never utter a word on the sidelines
                  3) Hard-working, coachable kid with a parent who stay away from coaches and complaining

GDA and ECNL is too far, yet the only reason why NPL is "connections".

Bullsh!t

ODP sounds perfect for you. I say you explore it and go all-in.

Comment

Would the player pool and coaching be better than a B level club team? Wondering if there's any value to doing ODP along with club.
                    As a rough guide if your club team coaches are volunteer, the pool and coaching should be a step up, but if your club team has a paid coach and a strong squad, it may be comparable (still talking on average - some paid coaches aren't great).

The next level past ODP is Region 1 camps/squads - this is where the pool and coaching should be better than almost all club teams.

Comment

Whiner it is. I have a child in NPL

1) No sibling on an NPL team. No other teammates have siblings that play NPL
                      2) Never utter a word on the sidelines
                      3) Hard-working, coachable kid with a parent who stay away from coaches and complaining

GDA and ECNL is too far, yet the only reason why NPL is "connections".

Bullsh!t

ODP sounds perfect for you. I say you explore it and go all-in.
                      Hold up. I am not insinuating all clubs or teams operate this way. Kudos to your kid for making it. I would love the same for my own. The coach and DOC seem fixated on a couple of girls they consider their stars and everyone else is just a body. I just don't think my kid has a chance here. Didn't mean to imply the same is true everywhere.

Comment

Hold up. I am not insinuating all clubs or teams operate this way. Kudos to your kid for making it. I would love the same for my own. The coach and DOC seem fixated on a couple of girls they consider their stars and everyone else is just a body. I just don't think my kid has a chance here. Didn't mean to imply the same is true everywhere.
                        Club = Secoast.....

Comment

Club = Secoast.....
                          Boys or girls? Age?

Comment

Club = Secoast.....
                            Seacoast has, what, 4 branches in NH alone? Plus others. Do you really think a kid from one of those smaller branches like express or storm is going to get picked for an NPL team without the support and recommendations of her current coach? And if said coach spends all his time fawning over two or three special kids, who else has a chance? Just bodies and checks.

Comment

Seacoast has, what, 4 branches in NH alone? Plus others. Do you really think a kid from one of those smaller branches like express or storm is going to get picked for an NPL team without the support and recommendations of her current coach? And if said coach spends all his time fawning over two or three special kids, who else has a chance? Just bodies and checks.
                              This is too true. Your kid has a better chance of making the NPL team if coming in from an outside club, than from one of the Seacoast satellites if the coach doesn't see her as one of the top players on the current team. Go to a different club for a year, then next spring, call Seacoast and say your player is interested in joining the NPL team and ask to attend a practice session. If your kid is the type who will excel when playing with much better players, she'll look great and will have a much better chance of getting a spot on the team than in her current situation. Too bad you have to go to these lengths to get a fair shot....

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X