Boys 05

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your recap of today's Oswego Nike Cup activities.

As noted in yesterday's recap, WT05 and 4H Northside finished exactly tied in the standings--so the first order of business was a penalty shootout to determine who would get to face PCU in the final match. I kind of feel sorry for the 4H kids, many of whom had to drive up from Salem for the possibility of only a few minutes of soccer--we had the advantage that the 04 finals were being played on our home field (check's in the mail, Louie...). And since the game before on the same field finished tied, THAT was decided by a shootout first. Finally, the 4H/WT shootout commenced, with Westside winning the toss and getting to go first.

Both teams missed their first shots, and then made their next five. On the seventh round, Westside buried their spot kick, and QS saved the shot from 4H. Celebrations ensued, and one WT player suffered a minor injury in the celebration.

On to the game. PCU's 04s are at least as big and fast as OPFC pretty much across the board, but with even better ball skills. So WT spent much of the game defending. First half was reasonably competitive--PCU got a goal and had most of the possession, but WT had a few dangerous moments and threatened a few times. 0-1 to the 04 state champs at the break. The second half started out much the same way, but about ten minutes in, a WT defender bumped into a PCU forward in the box, and the PCU player went to ground. The referee pointed to the spot, decided it was DOGSO, and pulled his yellow card--and since it was the second yellow to that player, he was sent off. One could argue the foul, and I would argue against DOGSO (there was no dangerous challenge, and the WT defender was trying to play the ball--RF got taken out by 4H's keeper the day before on a far more dangerous play, and a penalty was awarded but no card issued), but it was what it was. Some justice was served as 4H skied the penalty shot. WT played gamely a man down for about 10 more minutes before conceding a second goal. The third came with about five minutes left, when another breakaway produced another foul in the box, and another player getting sent off (this call I had far less problem with--it was a frustration foul, and a bad challenge from behind). That penalty was converted, and PCU passed it around for the past few minutes.

While the end of this one was a disappointment, I wasn't at all disappointed in the overall effort given the quality of the opposition. PCUs 04s are better than any 05 club team in the state, and WT held their own against them twice--at least until having to play short-handed. Eastside and 4H, while not as strong as PCU, are both skilled teams, who would easily give ADF or OPFC a stiff challenge. Contrary to someone's comment above, none of these teams are "terrible".

I don't know to what extent, if at all, that I will be covering fall league--thanks to the silly birth year decision, U15 fall league is what it is. Since the DS is in high school, I'm not sure how many fall games I will be at. I will be back for NWCL and Winter League, of course.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Answer: Copa mom
    Nah, Copa Mama adores me. But well-played. :)

Comment

I agree with you on most everything you said. I like SE, I like what I have seen and heard from my Son about a lot of those kids. No complaint with the parents. Of course Copa Dad is a revered and beloved contributer to this forum. However, this summer they lost me with the guest player issue. The message that the club cares more about winning than developing the kids on the team was brutally rammed home this summer.
      This is summer tournament season. Entry registrations come quickly after tryouts. It's not unusual for teams to have guest players because some players are unavailable, most often because of planned family vacations and college-hosted soccer camps. Sometimes players from other clubs, from out of the area, etc, will ask to guest play. My kids have played in Surf Cup and PDT as guest players. Sometimes, you contact the tournament and ask to be put on a list if a team might need players. We've had guest players this way too. We've also had guest players when they've asked a coach, a parent, or the club if players are needed.

It's summer. These are just games. For some, these are showcase moments, and for others, it's just a chance to play when their own team isn't playing.

Comment

This is summer tournament season. Entry registrations come quickly after tryouts. It's not unusual for teams to have guest players because some players are unavailable, most often because of planned family vacations and college-hosted soccer camps. Sometimes players from other clubs, from out of the area, etc, will ask to guest play. My kids have played in Surf Cup and PDT as guest players. Sometimes, you contact the tournament and ask to be put on a list if a team might need players. We've had guest players this way too. We've also had guest players when they've asked a coach, a parent, or the club if players are needed.

It's summer. These are just games. For some, these are showcase moments, and for others, it's just a chance to play when their own team isn't playing.
        You realize that the prevailing opinion differs from your own, right? This was not a good look for WST, and while I know you are aware of this, I just wanted to remind you.

Comment

You realize that the prevailing opinion differs from your own, right? This was not a good look for WST, and while I know you are aware of this, I just wanted to remind you.
          I suspect the prevailing opinion is "meh"; and that most parents don't know or care about this. Outraged comments in TS notwithstanding.

Comment

This is not opinion. This is fact for many clubs. Happens every single summer. Player has to get permission from his coach and club and has to be in good standing. Some coaches say "no," while others are okay with it. Okay especially when it's a showcase opportunity.

Comment

This is not opinion. This is fact for many clubs. Happens every single summer. Player has to get permission from his coach and club and has to be in good standing. Some coaches say "no," while others are okay with it. Okay especially when it's a showcase opportunity.
              Pretty sure a TA player slumming for westside in clash, adidas and oswego cup are what you would call “showcase” opportunities.....instead a desperate attempt for westside to “win at all costs” to stay relevant at this age group and as a club going forward. Westside is weak from the 03 age group down and knows it is slipping away.

Comment

Pretty sure a TA player slumming for westside in clash, adidas and oswego cup are what you would call “showcase” opportunities.....instead a desperate attempt for westside to “win at all costs” to stay relevant at this age group and as a club going forward. Westside is weak from the 03 age group down and knows it is slipping away.
                Um....wrong. We just learned on this very forum that Westside is the most successful club at the Highschool ages. They win more State Cups and hardware than all the non TA clubs combined! 03, 04, 05...are all Highschool age, so clearly you are wrong. Now apologize, geneuflect, and never speak blasphemy again, or Cony will show up at your house and drill you for hours. 🙄

Comment

Um....wrong. We just learned on this very forum that Westside is the most successful club at the Highschool ages. They win more State Cups and hardware than all the non TA clubs combined! 03, 04, 05...are all Highschool age, so clearly you are wrong. Now apologize, geneuflect, and never speak blasphemy again, or Cony will show up at your house and drill you for hours. 🙄
                  I checked the OYSA archives and yes over the last
                  20 years westside boys hs ages have more state cup titles than all other oregon clubs combined with only 80 titles available (20yrs x 4 ages u15 u16 u17 & u18) westside had 40+ on the shelf in that era..the more you know.

Comment

Uh, they are summer tournaments.

If Westside were simply hunting trophies, they wouldn't be playing up.

Comment

It's good to have an emergency evacuation plan, in case a certain black Prius filled with balls and cones comes and parks in your driveway...

Comment

20 years westside boys hs ages have more state cup titles than all other oregon clubs combined with only 80 titles available (20yrs x 4 ages u15 u16 u17 & u18) westside had 40+ on the shelf in that era..the more you know.

Absolutely, educate the ignorant at your own risk.

Comment

Uh, they are summer tournaments.

If Westside were simply hunting trophies, they wouldn't be playing up.
                          Spin it however you want- did not play up at clash or adidas and only played up at oswego because of low numbers and it’s a silver level tourney. They did not go into it requesting to play u16, they were moved there by tourney committee based on number of entrants and corresponding quality. Opfc 05 b team also played up at u16 and made the semis so don’t kid yourself. Having ml and rf play and take time from other players shows exactly what westside was doing, chasing results....

Comment

Since we are on the 05 boys forum, how many state cups have this group won in the last 4 years? I can tell you it’s a round number. How many were won by 03’s, 04’s during the same time frame? These 3 age groups the here and now as far as high school ages. Living in the past is not an indicator of future performance. Westside is not the destination of choice for the top players anymore..just the facts the more you know...

Comment

Enough about westside you have beaten the horse beyond dead. Did anyone do the 3v3 at harmony this weekend? It’s usually a great time

Comment

Just a bit of perspective for those who hammered ADF and OPFC for their losses in the semis of the crossfire challenge a few weeks back. PacNW won their bracket at surf cup and crossfire da was 2-0-2 against the top teams from the southwest. Kudos to the 2 Oregon teams, keep up the good work. Getting tired of all the hate and discord on this, we should be celebrating others success and propping each other up not trying to tear each other down. Be comfortable in your choices and you won’t feel threatened by others and thus there will be no need for all the childish behavior

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X