Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Recruiting Rules - Are Coaches Abiding?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Not sure how this works because, honestly, we thought this was a few years out. And, I don't think this is anything that is considered "recruiting"...but...in the last three months we have been contacted from colleges to attend either their summer camps or ID clinics. The e-mails are personalized (i.e. mentions club activity/showcases vs. "Hello, [insert player name here]).

We'd typically get generic camp e-mail blasts year round, but these seemed a bit different.

Again, I don't consider this recruiting, but is that normal?

Daughter isn't even in HS yet, but is a pretty good player playing up an age group.
    Not sure of current rules, but when my Soph was in 8th grade, coaches did directly respond to her. They stated that under then current rules they could send an email to an 8th grader, but not to a high school student

Comment

My 2021 dd has had a handful of coaches email her that they can't contact her but she can call them anytime. She has not called them since we felt that if they were really interested they would have reached out to her club coach.

Comment

Their sophomore could also be talking to D3 coaches fyi. D3 does not have to abide by the same rules re contact.

My sophomore son is also not talking with D1 coaches. (Please spare me the " that's because your son is no good" knee jerk posts).
        For boys that's very typical. Girls has always been a different animal but hopefully it starts to become more like the boys' timeline

Comment

My 2021 dd has had a handful of coaches email her that they can't contact her but she can call them anytime. She has not called them since we felt that if they were really interested they would have reached out to her club coach.
          Do you know that they have email address for her club coach?
          If she sent a come-see-me-play email is it possible that is all they have?

Comment

My experience with a current sophomore girl. I believe it typical, happy to learn otherwise

Coaches ARE following the rules, but the rules have massive loopholes. Coach-to-coach communication is allowed, NCAA has no control over club/HS coaches, and HS players may initiate contact anytime (email schedules, place phone calls, show up on campus visits). The standard play is college coach sends email to coach saying "Liked watching Mia play.. She is welcome to call me at this number". Club/HS coach forwards email, talks with Mia, and responds "Mia will call you at this time". Same process for campus visit except college Mia is met by members of team who provide nice tour of campus, locker room, and chit chat about team culture, school etc.

From what I can tell there are no direct offers going out, but the communications between the coaches indicate level of interest and share the level of support they would provide to a player like that. Player/Parents can then tell club coach how they would respond to
            an offer like that.

All of this started freshman year, and appears to be heating up heading into Sophomore spring. My expectation - I don't know - is that lists are pretty mature, and they will be sharpened this spring. Club coaches will act as message brokers of not-quite-official offers for all first wave recruits. On Sept 1 all the pre-staged offers get officially delivered, and then the waterfall begins.
            Yes Sept 1 there will be a small cascade of the top recruited players committing (when obviously they had already been in discussions prior to that) followed by a more steady stream of everyone else.

btw coaches can still speak with you at ID events, just not about "recruiting." Not every enforceable. Players won't be waiting for Sept 1 to go to ID events; they'll do it before that.

Comment

Do you know that they have email address for her club coach?
              If she sent a come-see-me-play email is it possible that is all they have?
              Different poster but our club recommends you put all your contacts in the intro letter you send, including all your coaches.

Comment

The Recruiting rules right Now (effective April 2018) did almost nothing to curb early recruiting. All they really stopped was un-official visits before junior year (unofficial visits = meeting with coaching staff, trainers, tours given by the Soccer staff). Otherwise pretty much nothing changed, so yes basically all coaches are abiding by those rules.

That said - The difference is the "2nd" part of the change being voted on soon that would be effective April 2019. This is actually the real deal to stop early recruiting, stop "back door " discussions, stop allowing students to call coach, etc. until September of junior year. This is not yet passed but most have heard it is likely to pass and be effective April 2019. I have also heard there is some push by coaches to change the proposed "September Junior year" restriction to instead be "June before Junior year" i.e right after completion of school Sophomore year.

Comment

The Recruiting rules right Now (effective April 2018) did almost nothing to curb early recruiting. All they really stopped was un-official visits before junior year (unofficial visits = meeting with coaching staff, trainers, tours given by the Soccer staff). Otherwise pretty much nothing changed, so yes basically all coaches are abiding by those rules.

That said - The difference is the "2nd" part of the change being voted on soon that would be effective April 2019. This is actually the real deal to stop early recruiting, stop "back door " discussions, stop allowing students to call coach, etc. until September of junior year. This is not yet passed but most have heard it is likely to pass and be effective April 2019. I have also heard there is some push by coaches to change the proposed "September Junior year" restriction to instead be "June before Junior year" i.e right after completion of school Sophomore year.
                  That actually makes some sense - give both parties a chance to meet over the summer when there's more time for all. Coaches are at their busiest in the fall.

Comment

These rule changes don’t really mean anything for soccer as much as it matters for the big $ football and basketball programs. In the end, the soccer programs don’t have more $ or resources to go after younger kids any more than they did before the rule change. As others have said, there are loopholes so contact can be initiated in sophomore or earlier versus junior year, but it’s not like coaches got more money in their budget to go beyond a phone call or email.

Comment

For 2020 players, September 1st allowed for coaches to start talking to them. But are they being actively recruited? Did players all of a sudden get contacted by coaches in September?
                      In short, yes. For 2020 players that were in the mix with schools things opened up on Sept 1st. kids were able to exchange text messages with the coaches which definitely started up that day.

Comment

I think it's actually pumping the brakes on the numbers of kids that we are seeing "committed" around here as sophomores.

Certainly a positive in my opinion. Sophomores in HS shouldn't be making decisions on college. They barely have a firm handle on high school.

Comment

I think it's actually pumping the brakes on the numbers of kids that we are seeing "committed" around here as sophomores.

Certainly a positive in my opinion. Sophomores in HS shouldn't be making decisions on college. They barely have a firm handle on high school.
                          What I’ve never understood is how coaches made offers to 8th-10th graders with GPAs and test scores. Assuming kids who were offered early were top recruits, did coaches offer these kids full rides no matter what?

Comment

Not sure how this works because, honestly, we thought this was a few years out. And, I don't think this is anything that is considered "recruiting"...but...in the last three months we have been contacted from colleges to attend either their summer camps or ID clinics. The e-mails are personalized (i.e. mentions club activity/showcases vs. "Hello, [insert player name here]).

We'd typically get generic camp e-mail blasts year round, but these seemed a bit different.

Again, I don't consider this recruiting, but is that normal?

Daughter isn't even in HS yet, but is a pretty good player playing up an age group.
                            Yes invites for camps and clinics go out to the list once they play in a showcase. It’s only because your daughter is playing as a 9th grader. This is not personalized nor is it recruiting.

Comment

What I’ve never understood is how coaches made offers to 8th-10th graders with GPAs and test scores. Assuming kids who were offered early were top recruits, did coaches offer these kids full rides no matter what?
                              Yes under the assumption/leap of faith that grades and scores would be good enough to get through admissions. It had turned into an arms race. Coaches were afraid they'd lose talent. Word gets out about younger commits and then parents worry their kid will be left out. So then they push younger too.

Comment

Yes invites for camps and clinics go out to the list once they play in a showcase. It’s only because your daughter is playing as a 9th grader. This is not personalized nor is it recruiting.
                                Yes they are allowed to send informational emails like that.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X