Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Oof, yeah teams always wait until the offers to get the team settled. They wouldn't ever promise someone a spot before the offer.
    Not the OP or even associated with Stars, but that's not always how it works. The one time we switched clubs it was with a clear understanding of what team we'd be on before anything official. We were making a big commitment and asked for assurances. We got them. We had two irons in the fire and the timing required a commitment before tryouts.

Not sure how I'd feel if I were told I'd be on a Club's top team and then offered something less after. I do understand they are trying to treat the teams equally and ultimately, the exposure is close to the same so that's what really matters. But, it does seem sneaky to me.

Comment

Oof, yeah teams always wait until the offers to get the team settled. They wouldn't ever promise someone a spot before the offer.
      My daughter moved from another club to Stars this year. I asked TONS of questions before accepting the offer. I knew the team, coach and practice schedule prior to accepting her pre-offer (before tryouts).

Comment

My daughter moved from another club to Stars this year. I asked TONS of questions before accepting the offer. I knew the team, coach and practice schedule prior to accepting her pre-offer (before tryouts).
        That's typically how it's done.

Now, what you have done if all that changed after tryouts?

Comment

That's typically how it's done.

Now, what you have done if all that changed after tryouts?
          I don't see how it would have... the pre-offer my daughter received specified the specific team in writing and was sent directly from the coach. If they tried to move her to a different team after that, I probably would have declined. I assume that the poster who was complaining was told "we will have 2 ECNL teams and your daughter has a spot on one of them". I'd be interested to know if they received and accepted a written offer with no team/coach listed. I probably wouldn't do that.

Comment

I don't see how it would have... the pre-offer my daughter received specified the specific team in writing and was sent directly from the coach. If they tried to move her to a different team after that, I probably would have declined. I assume that the poster who was complaining was told "we will have 2 ECNL teams and your daughter has a spot on one of them". I'd be interested to know if they received and accepted a written offer with no team/coach listed. I probably wouldn't do that.
            I got the impression the coach changed (keeps changing), and that the teams would be equal (i.e. one team would be worse and one team would be better).

This would be near impossible to prove one way or the other to me. Everyone has their own opinions about who is better.

Comment

I got the impression the coach changed (keeps changing), and that the teams would be equal (i.e. one team would be worse and one team would be better).

This would be near impossible to prove one way or the other to me. Everyone has their own opinions about who is better.
              It sounds like the poster was expecting JD as a coach and then his daughter didn't end up on that team (I could be wrong). Coaching changes can definitely happen--when picking a club, you need to be comfortable with the coaching STAFF--not just one coach.

Comment

Good point. Those two teams have played each other once. East won 1-0. They have scrimmaged in practice and West won 1-0. So honestly it’s splitting hairs. The two coaches like different types of players so that could have a lot to do with the selections. JD obviously gets his pick of the players but in the end both teams are well coached, play the same teams, get seen by JD (if that’s your ultimate goal cause you think he’s going to get your kid into college for soccer). In the end will it matter? I’m unconvinced.

Comment

Except JD stood before 200 people in a high school auditorium and was very clear about how things would be handled. Dropping DA, two ECNL teams. Both would be competitive. No coaches named. Original poster admits to moving in the fall long before the announcement was made and before their were 2 ECNL teams. So did poster move to the NPL team or the DA team with promise of an ECNL spot for next year? If they were top notch, they would be on top team.

Read the whole string to see how this whack job changes his tune.

Comment

Except JD stood before 200 people in a high school auditorium and was very clear about how things would be handled. Dropping DA, two ECNL teams. Both would be competitive. No coaches named. Original poster admits to moving in the fall long before the announcement was made and before their were 2 ECNL teams. So did poster move to the NPL team or the DA team with promise of an ECNL spot for next year? If they were top notch, they would be on top team.

Read the whole string to see how this whack job changes his tune.
                    But, I don't see where the poster ever said they should've been on the "top" team? Can you show me the post(s)?

(No reason to get all dicky about it, either.)

Comment

Good point. Those two teams have played each other once. East won 1-0. They have scrimmaged in practice and West won 1-0. So honestly it’s splitting hairs. The two coaches like different types of players so that could have a lot to do with the selections. JD obviously gets his pick of the players but in the end both teams are well coached, play the same teams, get seen by JD (if that’s your ultimate goal cause you think he’s going to get your kid into college for soccer). In the end will it matter? I’m unconvinced.
                      Pretty positive the OP was that disgruntled parent or just another troll who read the other thread and was trying to stir up sh*t.

There are less than 20 ECNL teams in the entire Northeast conference from Maine down to Maryland and you're upset because you're kid is on one versus another? Sounds like a rich man's problem to me. He'll be luck if his kid doesn't end up back in NPL next year.

Comment

But, I don't see where the poster ever said they should've been on the "top" team? Can you show me the post(s)?

(No reason to get all dicky about it, either.)

Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
                        I will ask again--did you ever ask which team your kid was being placed on and who the coach was? I wonder what the other U14 West parents think of you... Do you spend games telling them what poor quality their kids are as players?
                        Why would we ask, when we were told they were the same? Taking the mix of the best players and putting splitting them up.

We moved to Stars over a year ago and it's been a shell-game ever since.

I could give a rat's azz about what other parents think of me; it's no secret where we are on the pecking order.

Above is one of this person's several posts... he claims the teams were supposed to be "equal". Again, when offers are made, they specify the team and the coach, so not sure why he didn't decline at that point. The teams are in 3rd and 5th in their division, have played twice with each team winning one game, so it really seems that he is most upset about the coaching assignment.

Comment

Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
                          I will ask again--did you ever ask which team your kid was being placed on and who the coach was? I wonder what the other U14 West parents think of you... Do you spend games telling them what poor quality their kids are as players?
                          Why would we ask, when we were told they were the same? Taking the mix of the best players and putting splitting them up.

We moved to Stars over a year ago and it's been a shell-game ever since.

I could give a rat's azz about what other parents think of me; it's no secret where we are on the pecking order.

Above is one of this person's several posts... he claims the teams were supposed to be "equal". Again, when offers are made, they specify the team and the coach, so not sure why he didn't decline at that point. The teams are in 3rd and 5th in their division, have played twice with each team winning one game, so it really seems that he is most upset about the coaching assignment.
                          Does that say there was an expectation to be on a "top" team? I don't see that.

Do you have another example?

Comment

Does that say there was an expectation to be on a "top" team? I don't see that.

Do you have another example?
                            I found the below, doesn't seem to indicate he's upset by not being on THE "top" team:

Again: We were told the teams would be equal when we decided to move. Not sure how many times I can say it. They would be equal.

The quality of the team is less than the other, yet we pay the same. Who signs up for that?

That is a serious question: Why would you play gold prices for copper?

You seem to be hung up on the fact that we were not picked for the A team. We fully understand where we are. That is not what what we signed up for. We were told that they teams would be equal and would both compete.

Comment

I found the below, doesn't seem to indicate he's upset by not being on THE "top" team:
                              Oh come on. This person is upset that they aren't on the top team and that they were lied to. Let's not split hairs about it.

Who in their right mind thought they would add second ECNL teams to each age group and that they'd be equal?

Comment

Oh come on. This person is upset that they aren't on the top team and that they were lied to. Let's not split hairs about it.

Who in their right mind thought they would add second ECNL teams to each age group and that they'd be equal?
                                Well that is confusing, because there are many posts on here that appear to point that they ARE equal teams. Not sure who to believe now (not that I care beyond morbid curiosity).

But, I guess my follow up question would be: who in their right mind would pay the same fee to be on a lesser team (using your example)?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X