Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This Soccer Thing Would be Easy for Real American Athletes - Right?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attention morons: we're ahead athletically already. We're miles behind technically and tactically.

Why is that such a difficult concept to grasp?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Attention morons: we're ahead athletically already. We're miles behind technically and tactically.

Why is that such a difficult concept to grasp?
      It is difficult to grasp because most of seen the boys that gravitate to soccer vs. football and basketball.

Is the rest of the world that far behind athletically? I assume you are comparing our men's team vs. other men's team (and not comparing them to the women's team)

On the technical side, we have boys practicing just as hard as kid elsewhere in the world. Tactically we are behind because people here just don't watch a lot of soccer. That goes with why our top male athletes are not playing soccer.

It is not a difficult concept to grasp. I think you just don't want to admit it because you son plays soccer and you don't want to admit that most people just don't care

Comment

It is difficult to grasp because most of seen the boys that gravitate to soccer vs. football and basketball.

Is the rest of the world that far behind athletically? I assume you are comparing our men's team vs. other men's team (and not comparing them to the women's team)

On the technical side, we have boys practicing just as hard as kid elsewhere in the world. Tactically we are behind because people here just don't watch a lot of soccer. That goes with why our top male athletes are not playing soccer.

It is not a difficult concept to grasp. I think you just don't want to admit it because you son plays soccer and you don't want to admit that most people just don't care
        Hold up. Is the point you're trying to make that football and basketball are more popular than soccer? If that's what you're trying to say then we'll all concede the point.

if your broader point is that the US would be good at soccer if soccer was the most popular sport, then you can have that one too.

But no amount of increased athleticism will save the US from being bad. That's a fact regardless of where your son does or doesn't play.

Comment

Lol guy's son chose to quit soccer and play football and dude needs to talk about how that was just the way of the world.

Buddy, love your kid even if he does better in football than soccer. That sport sucks but life is too short to come on a soccer forum and try to validate it.

Basketball is cool though.

Comment

Hold up. Is the point you're trying to make that football and basketball are more popular than soccer? If that's what you're trying to say then we'll all concede the point.

if your broader point is that the US would be good at soccer if soccer was the most popular sport, then you can have that one too.

But no amount of increased athleticism will save the US from being bad. That's a fact regardless of where your son does or doesn't play.
            They go hand in hand. Increase in popularity means you get a bigger pool of athletes to choose from. Increase in popularity means there will be more people watching more soccer which means you get a more knowledgeable pool of players.

Comment

Lol guy's son chose to quit soccer and play football and dude needs to talk about how that was just the way of the world.

Buddy, love your kid even if he does better in football than soccer. That sport sucks but life is too short to come on a soccer forum and try to validate it.

Basketball is cool though.
              Is that not the way of the world?

When I see boy's soccer, I see the Bad News Bears.

Comment

Is that not the way of the world?

When I see boy's soccer, I see the Bad News Bears.
                I suppose it depends on what level we're talking about. Your son wasn't a standout in soccer now was he?

Lots of times pretty athletic kids will leave soccer for other sports because they find more praise and instant gratification there. In soccer, you kind of know how bad you are, but in those other sports you can be a high school god (even if in reality you're not very good).

Comment

They go hand in hand. Increase in popularity means you get a bigger pool of athletes to choose from. Increase in popularity means there will be more people watching more soccer which means you get a more knowledgeable pool of players.
                  Some people just can’t admit that the relatively low popularity of soccer in our country negatively effects the quality of our men’s team. The best athletes in my sons classes never even played soccer. Common across the country. Football basketball baseball and others

Comment

Some people just can’t admit that the relatively low popularity of soccer in our country negatively effects the quality of our men’s team. The best athletes in my sons classes never even played soccer. Common across the country. Football basketball baseball and others
                    Lol. No one cares. No one in Spain sits around worrying about the time when Iniesta or Busquets decided to play soccer and some better athlete chose basketball instead.

Enjoy your sports. They're great. They're not soccer though, and you clearly don't know much about what it takes to make it in this game. Which is fine by the way.

Actually, you should really take your boy to go play lacrosse. These are the kind of conversations that rule the sidelines there. You'll be super popular.

Comment

Lol. No one cares. No one in Spain sits around worrying about the time when Iniesta or Busquets decided to play soccer and some better athlete chose basketball instead.

Enjoy your sports. They're great. They're not soccer though, and you clearly don't know much about what it takes to make it in this game. Which is fine by the way.

Actually, you should really take your boy to go play lacrosse. These are the kind of conversations that rule the sidelines there. You'll be super popular.
                      And lacrosse, being a US sport, is one that the US rules at. Not that any paying audiences much care.

Comment

I suppose it depends on what level we're talking about. Your son wasn't a standout in soccer now was he?

Lots of times pretty athletic kids will leave soccer for other sports because they find more praise and instant gratification there. In soccer, you kind of know how bad you are, but in those other sports you can be a high school god (even if in reality you're not very good).

You are actually sort of right except for your last sentence.

Sex, power, and money are what drive men. As far as I can tell football and basketball take a big lead over in soccer in those areas.

You can be a standout soccer player and no one would still know who you are. You can also be really bad and no one would really care.

Comment

Football still dominates in America. Soccer is fun for those men that enjoy the game but we won’t compete well with other countries until many more of our most athletic boys play soccer. Soccer is an unusual sport in that unathletic boys can become very good with years of training. However those same boys will obviously never be able to match a top athlete who has the same many years of training.

Comment

we won’t compete well with other countries until many more of our most athletic boys play soccer.
                            Just stop. If we were to make a list of things we need in order to make our national team better, improved athleticism would be so far down the list has to be totally unimportant.

What exactly do you need? You clearly have an unnatural attachment to this argument. It's demonstrably wrong, but you keep hammering away at it. Why?

Comment

Just stop. If we were to make a list of things we need in order to make our national team better, improved athleticism would be so far down the list has to be totally unimportant.

What exactly do you need? You clearly have an unnatural attachment to this argument. It's demonstrably wrong, but you keep hammering away at it. Why?
                              Because it is true, my attachment to my belief is no more anchored then you to yours. We both think the other is wrong and should just agree to disagree.

Comment

It is our non soccer culture.

Other countries live and breath soccer. They understand the game. There best athletes understand and play the game.

You can blame the coaching, parents, etc... all you want, but the soccer is not going to change because we do not love it like other places. We are somewhat interested every 4 years, but that is about it.

It is like making your kid play a sport and expecting them to excel when there true passion is robotics. As a country we are not passionate about soccer.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X