Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    yeah for the serious students, soccer should be second priority to getting an education. D3 and Ivy (to a lesser extent) help facilitate that. If it's all about soccer (which is what the highly competitive D1s soccer schools are about) then education takes 2nd place.
    While I largely agree, D1 athletes get tremendous academic support that D3 athletes do not. The off season is easier to manage with D3 because there actually is an off season. But in season the schedule is just as intense as for D1 without the support. And obviously there are some D1 schools with fantastic academics.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
      While I largely agree, D1 athletes get tremendous academic support that D3 athletes do not. The off season is easier to manage with D3 because there actually is an off season. But in season the schedule is just as intense as for D1 without the support. And obviously there are some D1 schools with fantastic academics.
      It would be helpful to know whether you D3ers pursued D1 schools and didn’t get any traction so moved to D3. The only experience we have, and it is anecdotal, is with a kid who was cut from the top team at our club and then decided D3 was what he wanted. He is getting a lot of minutes, he may even be starting for his college team, but he was D1 all the way until he realized it wasn’t going to work.

Comment

It would be helpful to know whether you D3ers pursued D1 schools and didn’t get any traction so moved to D3. The only experience we have, and it is anecdotal, is with a kid who was cut from the top team at our club and then decided D3 was what he wanted. He is getting a lot of minutes, he may even be starting for his college team, but he was D1 all the way until he realized it wasn’t going to work.
        My son looked at D3 and D1, mostly due to many of the top D3 schools are in Massachusetts and they can get to more games and easier to visit. Plus D3 can talk to the players ahead of the end of the junior year. For Top D3 you gotta have very good grades (more A's than B's and no C's) and excellent SAT score (ie closer to 1400 or better). Working thru the process earlier with D3 was a good experience and preparation for visiting D1 and Ivies later. After all of that the kids get a better sense of the schools and the soccer programs and what is good fit for them.

Every kid has a ordered list of soccer schools (for example my son's list was)
        First Top Soccer D1
        then Ivy League
        then good academic but less good soccer D1 (A10, Patriot league)
        then top D3
        then other D3 (maybe D2)

Comment

My son looked at D3 and D1, mostly due to many of the top D3 schools are in Massachusetts and they can get to more games and easier to visit. Plus D3 can talk to the players ahead of the end of the junior year. For Top D3 you gotta have very good grades (more A's than B's and no C's) and excellent SAT score (ie closer to 1400 or better). Working thru the process earlier with D3 was a good experience and preparation for visiting D1 and Ivies later. After all of that the kids get a better sense of the schools and the soccer programs and what is good fit for them.

First Top Soccer D1
          then Ivy League
          then top D3
          then other D3 (maybe D2)
          Curios, why wasn't D2 higher up on the list? Isn't that what comes after D1?
          And why was it important for top D3 vs. any D3. At that point, isn't the quality of the school, fit, and financial aid more Important than W-L record?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered

First Top Soccer D1
            then Ivy League
            then top D3
            then other D3 (maybe D2)
            I can add to this. D3 coaches are very good at saying to players they want to let them know if D1 doesn’t work out.

Comment

First Top Soccer D1
              then Ivy League
              then top D3
              then other D3 (maybe D2)
              My son is a sophomore so we have been doing some ID camps and talking about colleges every now and then (he loves to play so the ID camps are fun for him but we don't talk too much about it because it's too early to overwhelm him). He basically has the same list as above (he follows college football and soccer so he is very familiar with all the big schools) but I try to be realistic...I am honestly curious (not a troll lunatic). Does your son play academy and what is his GPA? I am not trying to start the Academy vs Non-Academy discussion. My thought is with the large number of internationals and academy players filling the rosters at Top D1 it seems very difficult to play high D1. Also, with the Ivies - Even if you are you a great player you still need roughly a 4.0 GPA, right? I might be trying to set the bar too low but, besides my sophomore, I have two non-athletes...one in college and one applying at colleges so I have some GPA and college app experience). My sophomore wanted to play for his high school (high D1) for the experience and to be with his friends, so high club level was the only other option. There's no turning back now so I am trying to be realistic with which ID camps he attends (can't do them all and the group camps with multiple asst coaches don't seem as good as the private camps).

I apologize if this derails the thread with crazies (or maybe I am one of the crazies).

Comment

And why was it important for top D3 vs. any D3. At that point, isn't the quality of the school, fit, and financial aid more Important than W-L record?
                There are not many D2 schools in the area (Assumption, Southern New Hampshire, Bentley not sure of the others) If those are schools you are interested in that is great. Some kids user SNHU for a year and then transfer.

The win and loss record is a good indicator if the school cares about soccer. If they lose alot then is it the coach, the players or inability to recruit for the league.

Kids that are really into soccer are not as focused on the quality of the education and it takes some talking and also the reality of the situation for them to change their minds. By that time if they haven't courted many schools they may be out of luck and have to work down the D2/D3 list.

The top D3 schools are Tufts, Amherst and then the rest. Amherst really likes sports but it is a small school and feels very small. Also for Tufts, Amherst, Williams the grades and test scores as a tough as the Ivies (in some ways harder since they don't have as many admissions slots (they have a little pull for their "top" recruit). They are very happy to have a top level player but most of the top level players wanted to go an Ivy but didn't get in or make the team (at least when my son visited Tufts and Amherst that is what the better players there said).

As far as money many D3 end up giving "merit" scholarship (instead of a sports scholarship) for similar money (ie $13k).

The other big item to consider or at least ask is "what time of day does the team practice?"
                Ivies are after classes are over, a few D1 schools practice after 5pm but many practice during the day (which makes picking classes very hard). Also if the academic support center hours are during practice time that doesn't help either. How many games require taking a plane and missing school days?

When we asked about academic support center at Tufts, the answer was "if you get into Tufts, you don't need academic support"

Comment

For many families the D2 academics aren't up to snuff. Since almost none will ever go pro the quality of the school and a future career should take priority. There's some good D2 schools but not many. Some D2 programs carry huge numbers of internationals, even more than D1s, because the academic requirements aren't as strong.

Comment

There are not many D2 schools in the area (Assumption, Southern New Hampshire, Bentley not sure of the others) If those are schools you are interested in that is great. Some kids user SNHU for a year and then transfer.

The win and loss record is a good indicator if the school cares about soccer. If they lose alot then is it the coach, the players or inability to recruit for the league.

Kids that are really into soccer are not as focused on the quality of the education and it takes some talking and also the reality of the situation for them to change their minds. By that time if they haven't courted many schools they may be out of luck and have to work down the D2/D3 list.

The top D3 schools are Tufts, Amherst and then the rest. Amherst really likes sports but it is a small school and feels very small. Also for Tufts, Amherst, Williams the grades and test scores as a tough as the Ivies (in some ways harder since they don't have as many admissions slots (they have a little pull for their "top" recruit). They are very happy to have a top level player but most of the top level players wanted to go an Ivy but didn't get in or make the team (at least when my son visited Tufts and Amherst that is what the better players there said).

As far as money many D3 end up giving "merit" scholarship (instead of a sports scholarship) for similar money (ie $13k).

The other big item to consider or at least ask is "what time of day does the team practice?"
                    Ivies are after classes are over, a few D1 schools practice after 5pm but many practice during the day (which makes picking classes very hard). Also if the academic support center hours are during practice time that doesn't help either. How many games require taking a plane and missing school days?

When we asked about academic support center at Tufts, the answer was "if you get into Tufts, you don't need academic support"
                    You need the grades to get into D3s. The coach may have a little sway with admissions but not much. You can't be too far out of academic norms. As for merit money., yes they give merit money, but you have to be above average for their admittance pool to get substantive $. However academic money sticks all four years unless you can't keep your GPA up.

You are correct there is no academic support at D3s other than whatever the school offers any student. D1s give tremendous support. Most coaches don't want players who may struggle academically, no matter the program level. Keeping up your grades and getting good test scores opens more doors

Comment

My son is a sophomore so we have been doing some ID camps and talking about colleges every now and then (he loves to play so the ID camps are fun for him but we don't talk too much about it because it's too early to overwhelm him). He basically has the same list as above (he follows college football and soccer so he is very familiar with all the big schools) but I try to be realistic...I am honestly curious (not a troll lunatic). Does your son play academy and what is his GPA? I am not trying to start the Academy vs Non-Academy discussion. My thought is with the large number of internationals and academy players filling the rosters at Top D1 it seems very difficult to play high D1. Also, with the Ivies - Even if you are you a great player you still need roughly a 4.0 GPA, right? I might be trying to set the bar too low but, besides my sophomore, I have two non-athletes...one in college and one applying at colleges so I have some GPA and college app experience). My sophomore wanted to play for his high school (high D1) for the experience and to be with his friends, so high club level was the only other option. There's no turning back now so I am trying to be realistic with which ID camps he attends (can't do them all and the group camps with multiple asst coaches don't seem as good as the private camps).

I apologize if this derails the thread with crazies (or maybe I am one of the crazies).
                      My son played Academy. Top D1 is for those who are very good and have these traits
                      1. Top scorer
                      2. Tall, big, fast (college game more like high school with substitution rules, lots of fresh legs to press the defense).
                      3. National team starter
                      4. Is given lots of exposure by their Academy club
                      5. Have some connection with the D1 college coach

Unless you are #1,2,3 in the above list you need 4.0 out of 5.0 GPA and over 1400 SAT for Ivies. Maybe if you have a 3.5 GPA and perfect SAT scores that might work. If you can get in without using one of their admissions slots they will take you (depending on if the school is rebuilding their program (like Princeton just did with many top Academy freshman this year) they will have about 4 slots). For the Ivy academic index the GPA is weighted twice and then the SAT score comes in.

Top D1 is not likely with all of the International players. The top Academy players are starting to go Ivies (and they also have International players). So try camps for schools in the top 100 academic and also reasonable good D1 soccer and D3 soccer. The NESAC schools are all good and look at Patriot League (Holy Cross, BU), A10 (Umass, Fordham, URI), America East,...

Comment

D1

Owen Schwartz, ?, Worcester Academy, Brown
                        Nick Awada, Bolts, Westford, Bryant
                        John Muckstadt, GPS, Dover Sherborn, Colgate
                        Eli Gould, Black Rock, NMH, Colgate
                        Nick Steed, Black Rock, Berkshire, Colgate
                        Jack Ostrosky, Bolts, Rutland, Holy Cross
                        Andrew White, Revs, Boxborough, Lehigh
                        Camden Blackburn, Revs, Ludlow, UMass*
                        Christian Pulselli, Bolts, Pembroke, Michigan
                        Jacques Baldwin, GPS, Brookline, Northeastern
                        Colby Hegarty, Bolts, Nipmuc, Northeastern
                        Deng Deng Kur, ?, Berkshire, Northwestern
                        Tyler Freitas, Revs, N Attleboro, UVM
                        Jeremy Verley, ?, Milton, UVA
                        Jacob Shaffelburg, Black Rock, Berkshire, UVA
                        Nicholas Berghold, Black Rock, Berkshire, UVA

D3

Declan Sung, Bolts, Newton, Amherst
                        Michael Webber, NEFC, Rivers, Bowdoin
                        Jack Marvel, Liverpool FC, Tabor, Conn College
                        Justin D’Alessandro, FCStars, Middlesex, Hamilton
                        Minka Soumah, South Bronx, NMH, Kenyon
                        David McCrory, Black Rock, Berkshire, Kenyon
                        Jonah Johnson, Exeter, Milton, Swarthmore
                        Bryce Visnick, NEFC, Beverley, Tufts

Comment

Some quality local D2 soccer below! Yikes !
                          https://lemoynedolphins.com/news/201...ocBentley.aspx

Comment

My son played Academy. Top D1 is for those who are very good and have these traits
                            1. Top scorer
                            2. Tall, big, fast (college game more like high school with substitution rules, lots of fresh legs to press the defense).
                            3. National team starter

Unless you are #1,2,3 in the above list you need 4.0 out of 5.0 GPA and over 1400 SAT for Ivies. Maybe if you have a 3.5 GPA and perfect SAT scores that might work. If you can get in without using one of their admissions slots they will take you (depending on if the school is rebuilding their program (like Princeton just did with many top Academy freshman this year) they will have about 4 slots). For the Ivy academic index the GPA is weighted twice and then the SAT score comes in.

Top D1 is not likely with all of the International players. The top Academy players are starting to go Ivies (and they also have International players). So try camps for schools in the top 100 academic and also reasonable good D1 soccer and D3 soccer. The NESAC schools are all good and look at Patriot League (Holy Cross, BU), A10 (Umass, Fordham, URI), America East,...
                            Great info...this is where I was at mentally but wasn't ready to fully acknowledge. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Comment

1. Top scorer
                              3. National team starter
                              Can we get a consensus on "Top D1?"

What does top refer to, just the soccer, just the academics, or a blend of both?

Off the top of my head I'd have:

Wake Forest
                              UNC
                              Duke
                              UVA
                              Stanford
                              Georgetown

I based my list off of admissions selectivity and soccer ranking.

Comment

Can we get a consensus on "Top D1?"

What does top refer to, just the soccer, just the academics, or a blend of both?

Off the top of my head I'd have:

Wake Forest
                                UNC
                                Duke
                                UVA
                                Stanford
                                Georgetown

I based my list off of admissions selectivity and soccer ranking.
                                I think when most talk about "top D1" it's focused on soccer, the quality of the talent and consistent performance at the top year after year. Look at the top programs right now. Not all are top academic programs. There's other great schools that aren't "top" soccer programs either.

Wake
                                Indiana
                                Louisville
                                UNC
                                Kentucky
                                Notre Dame
                                Virginia
                                St mary's
                                Stanford
                                VA Tech
                                Duke
                                Maryland
                                UCF
                                Akron
                                Georgetown
                                Charlotte
                                denver
                                UNH
                                Syracuse
                                URI

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X