Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I agree to an extent. I don't know of many 14-15 year olds that have the maturity for that kind of conversation, without the potential for unintended consequences. I know that ours was only ready for a portion of that conversation, because she was in that heady stage where top 20 teams were interested, YNT was in play, etc. and she was focused on high she might go. In our case, we weren't ready to snuff out "the dream" when she was still in her first few semesters of high school. There was little doubt that she would play in college from as early as 7th grade, but as we got closer the conversation became more nuanced.

Perhaps the timing for such decision making changes a bit depending on the skill of the player and the number of options in play. I think it might actually be harder for the family of a player who has lower D1 potential, because they may have many more paths to consider (low D1 with low impact/little playing time? D2? high level D3? play club at D1?, etc.).

The best advice we received was from a family with older players who recommended that we get to know the kids 2-3 years ahead of us, watch what they did and where they went, and really understand how they fared and whether they were happy with the result. We found a few families that served as a template of sorts for us.
    I'm beginning to smell some BS here. The OP talked about D1, D2, D3 options now it has shifted to an NT level player. If you're kid is an NT level player at 14, you or your club has already started the conversation.

Comment

I agree to an extent. I don't know of many 14-15 year olds that have the maturity for that kind of conversation, without the potential for unintended consequences. I know that ours was only ready for a portion of that conversation, because she was in that heady stage where top 20 teams were interested, YNT was in play, etc. and she was focused on high she might go. In our case, we weren't ready to snuff out "the dream" when she was still in her first few semesters of high school. There was little doubt that she would play in college from as early as 7th grade, but as we got closer the conversation became more nuanced.

Perhaps the timing for such decision making changes a bit depending on the skill of the player and the number of options in play. I think it might actually be harder for the family of a player who has lower D1 potential, because they may have many more paths to consider (low D1 with low impact/little playing time? D2? high level D3? play club at D1?, etc.).

The best advice we received was from a family with older players who recommended that we get to know the kids 2-3 years ahead of us, watch what they did and where they went, and really understand how they fared and whether they were happy with the result. We found a few families that served as a template of sorts for us.
      Yet given that the recruiting timeline now starts at the 7th grade for the highest level players the mistake many make is only sizing up the potential opportunities to start the discussion at 14-15. That is actually way to late to be starting the process. That's one of the big problems with the whole situation. Parents don't realize that they have already missed the boat when their kids are in middle school. Your advantage is you seem to have recognized what the options where likely to be at the onset and managed the process accordingly. Most parents don't want to look at their kids that critically and make hard choices, they would rather pay the clubs so later they can blame them for their kid's lack of success. The simple fact is 99% of the kids involved with club soccer beyond the initial exploratory stages should not be there and instead should be in some recreationally focused program. Most of the kids in club soccer either don't have parents who are willing to let them follow the path to a career in sports, or don't have the actual ambition or ability to play the sport well enough to warrant the time, energy and money involved.

Comment

I'm beginning to smell some BS here. The OP talked about D1, D2, D3 options now it has shifted to an NT level player. If you're kid is an NT level player at 14, you or your club has already started the conversation.
        Suffice to say that if you only start thinking about the prospect of your kid playing in college years down the club soccer road you either are incredibly naïve about what club soccer is really about or just plain indifferent to the world around you. The NT level players set the timeline and everyone needs to basically measure their kid against them so that they know if and when their kid might likely be in play. If that doesn't interest you why are you involved with club soccer in the first place?

Comment

Never said my kid considered d2 or 3. Read more carefully. If I was too vague, I apologize

Comment

Yet given that the recruiting timeline now starts at the 7th grade for the highest level players the mistake many make is only sizing up the potential opportunities to start the discussion at 14-15. That is actually way to late to be starting the process. That's one of the big problems with the whole situation. Parents don't realize that they have already missed the boat when their kids are in middle school. Your advantage is you seem to have recognized what the options where likely to be at the onset and managed the process accordingly. Most parents don't want to look at their kids that critically and make hard choices, they would rather pay the clubs so later they can blame them for their kid's lack of success. The simple fact is 99% of the kids involved with club soccer beyond the initial exploratory stages should not be there and instead should be in some recreationally focused program. Most of the kids in club soccer either don't have parents who are willing to let them follow the path to a career in sports, or don't have the actual ambition or ability to play the sport well enough to warrant the time, energy and money involved.
            Heiny - Stop with the rec soccer talk. If the kids want to spend more time playing at a higher level than rec, that's there prerogative. Club is also tremendously helpful if you want to be a standout on a bigger HS team.

Comment

Being on any kind of scholarship be it academic or athletic usually comes with certain expectations that must be met in order to keep that scholarship money coming. The bottom line in most cases is you have to bust your butt to work off the money that they are giving you. Seems as though you expected your kid to fail doing that. That’s pretty sad. Why spend a fortune on club soccer if you felt that way.
              I didn't expect my kid to fail, I was just realistic. And we didn't spend a fortune on club soccer, not sure where that assumption came from. We spent what we could afford in our household budget and were very happy with the experience. Part of the next level evaluation, we looked at the kids a few years ahead and saw how things played out for them. More often than not, it wasn't a pretty sight. And then you go back to the recruiting process and question the college coaches and you finally understand their role in the entire college business model.

Comment

I didn't expect my kid to fail, I was just realistic. And we didn't spend a fortune on club soccer, not sure where that assumption came from. We spent what we could afford in our household budget and were very happy with the experience. Part of the next level evaluation, we looked at the kids a few years ahead and saw how things played out for them. More often than not, it wasn't a pretty sight. And then you go back to the recruiting process and question the college coaches and you finally understand their role in the entire college business model.
                I think it is very important that players and families know the statistics. It isn't about expecting failure but understanding that the likelihood of playing four successful years isn't great. Knowing that makes it more likely they'll focus on the academic fit. As the they visit schools it's critical to ask themselves - if soccer doesn't work out, is this the school where I want to be? It also makes realistic playing time an important thing to think about. Sure a player might make a roster, but if they won't play much then that ups the odds of a unsatisfying experience, as well as the probably getting cut.

Even though the boys and girls timelines is different, the analysis a poster does on the boys commitment thread is very helpful. Each fall post-season he tracks how many kids were even on their school rosters, how much they played (if at all) and tracks them over the years. It's very eye opening and probably the best thing about this site.

Comment

Heiny - Stop with the rec soccer talk. If the kids want to spend more time playing at a higher level than rec, that's there prerogative. Club is also tremendously helpful if you want to be a standout on a bigger HS team.
                  This comment is completely out of touch with what club has become these days. The cost and commitment has just exploded so even at the C & D levels the cost is approaching $3-4K.

Comment

I think it is very important that players and families know the statistics. It isn't about expecting failure but understanding that the likelihood of playing four successful years isn't great. Knowing that makes it more likely they'll focus on the academic fit. As the they visit schools it's critical to ask themselves - if soccer doesn't work out, is this the school where I want to be? It also makes realistic playing time an important thing to think about. Sure a player might make a roster, but if they won't play much then that ups the odds of a unsatisfying experience, as well as the probably getting cut.

Even though the boys and girls timelines is different, the analysis a poster does on the boys commitment thread is very helpful. Each fall post-season he tracks how many kids were even on their school rosters, how much they played (if at all) and tracks them over the years. It's very eye opening and probably the best thing about this site.
                    Why cloud the picture with soccer at all? If you are going to play the D1 game you need to play it to win. What that means is finding the level where your kid is going to get out on the field and impact. If that level doesn't exist for your kid then you are better off giving up soccer at the college level altogether than taking this advice. Nothing wrong with helping your kid realize that their soccer career is over and helping them focus on getting an education. That's what most kids do with extracurriculars once they finish with high school.

Comment

It's not that difficult. You do your best to choose a college that fits academically, athletically, and financially. Hopefully you get all A's, become an All-American, and don't go bankrupt in the process. Most likely that won't happen but it's life. Deal with it, learn from it, and move into the next stage of your life.

Comment

Why cloud the picture with soccer at all? If you are going to play the D1 game you need to play it to win. What that means is finding the level where your kid is going to get out on the field and impact. If that level doesn't exist for your kid then you are better off giving up soccer at the college level altogether than taking this advice. Nothing wrong with helping your kid realize that their soccer career is over and helping them focus on getting an education. That's what most kids do with extracurriculars once they finish with high school.
                        1) There's a whole world of college soccer outside of D1
                        2) Kids have their own dreams and aspirations. Some parents give them the freedom them to chase it, others push them to chase it.
                        3) Why the fuk do you care what other people do? Their choice. As long as there are college sports these decisions will be made each and every year.

Comment

This comment is completely out of touch with what club has become these days. The cost and commitment has just exploded so even at the C & D levels the cost is approaching $3-4K.
                          Out here in central MA, playing club is a prerequisite for playing HS varsity D1.
                          But definitely not paying 3-4k. That's nuts. I'm glad my kid ages out next year.

Comment

1) There's a whole world of college soccer outside of D1
                            2) Kids have their own dreams and aspirations. Some parents give them the freedom them to chase it, others push them to chase it.
                            3) Why the fuk do you care what other people do? Their choice. As long as there are college sports these decisions will be made each and every year.
                            Why then the fuk do you care so much that kids consider options other than D1? All your agenda does is support families chasing the D1 brass ring only to end up unhappily falling to D3 once their dreams are eviscerated by reality.

Comment

Why then the fuk do you care so much that kids consider options other than D1? All your agenda does is support families chasing the D1 brass ring only to end up unhappily falling to D3 once their dreams are eviscerated by reality.
                              Why do you feel the need to eviscerate anyone who choses otherwise? None of your gdamm business. Get a gdamm life.

Comment

Most of club soccer is town soccer at 10 or 20 times the price and nothing more. Shop wisely.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X