X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kobe Bryant & soccer

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.esp...3fplatform=amp

^^^Growing up in Italy started Kobe’s lifelong love of soccer. He will be missed.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.esp...3fplatform=amp

^^^Growing up in Italy started Kobe’s lifelong love of soccer. He will be missed.
    He was a huge supporter of sports of all kinds including the women's games. He appreciated talent and hard work.

No denying, he walked the walk. Game changer on and off the court. I fully expected him to become an owner of either a wnba team and/or nwsl.

Prayers to all of the families of yesterday's unimaginable tragedy. Which tragedy in essence was just a group of kids/parents and coach heading to play and support their kids in sports like many of us.

Comment

He was a huge supporter of sports of all kinds including the women's games. He appreciated talent and hard work.

No denying, he walked the walk. Game changer on and off the court. I fully expected him to become an owner of either a wnba team and/or nwsl.

Prayers to all of the families of yesterday's unimaginable tragedy. Which tragedy in essence was just a group of kids/parents and coach heading to play and support their kids in sports like many of us.
      Agreed. It's something completely normal that we do all the time and take for granted.
      Or look at the Holy Cross athlete killed two weeks ago. You just never know.

Condolences to all.

Comment

A tragedy for all involved, made worse by the deaths of children. What gets me is Kobe and his daughter seemed to have a genuine connection with their love of basketball. Them going together is especially poignant.

Anyway, many soccer players play basketball and vice versa. In this area it's an easier sport to play concurrently with soccer because soccer goes light in the winter. Basketball is good for GKs

Comment

A tragedy for all involved, made worse by the deaths of children. What gets me is Kobe and his daughter seemed to have a genuine connection with their love of basketball. Them going together is especially poignant.

Anyway, many soccer players play basketball and vice versa. In this area it's an easier sport to play concurrently with soccer because soccer goes light in the winter. Basketball is good for GKs

No it isn't. Gk's need their hands. If you are going up against top players, you can break fingers a lot. You can break bones in your hands when they get bent backwards stopping a shot ripped directly in front if you. You can break or tear up your shoulder
          When diving especially into the hard ground when it is cold or just repetitive.

You cant play bball very well with broken or disfigured shoulders, hands/wrists/fingers.

I played bball and i tell my gk kid (who plays bball for fun) to participate in track and field. Explosive jumping, throwing, speed, bursts of speed, reaction, endurance, fit and more. That equates better we have found.

But bball is fun. Oh and you roll ankles a lot in bball especially under the net when a bunch of people are going up for a rebound or air shot. Have had several broken ankles when opponents came down on my ankles. A broken ankle can be the kiss of death for a gk if it doesn't heal correctly.
          Jmho

Comment

Despite my previous post disputing bball and gk, nothing takes away from the sorrow the world felt about yesterday's tragedy. It transended sports. Truly sad.

Comment

No it isn't. Gk's need their hands. If you are going up against top players, you can break fingers a lot. You can break bones in your hands when they get bent backwards stopping a shot ripped directly in front if you. You can break or tear up your shoulder

You cant play bball very well with broken or disfigured shoulders, hands/wrists/fingers.

I played bball and i tell my gk kid (who plays bball for fun) to participate in track and field. Explosive jumping, throwing, speed, bursts of speed, reaction, endurance, fit and more. That equates better we have found.

But bball is fun. Oh and you roll ankles a lot in bball especially under the net when a bunch of people are going up for a rebound or air shot. Have had several broken ankles when opponents came down on my ankles. A broken ankle can be the kiss of death for a gk if it doesn't heal correctly.
              Jmho

Hakeem Olajuwon was a professional and collegiate basketball player, and is now retired. Olajuwon was born in Lagos, Nigeria, in January 1963, and lived there until he moved to Texas in 1980 to attend the University of Houston.
              Olajuwon grew up in Lagos playing mostly soccer but changed his focus to basketball at the age of 15 because of his height, then six feet, nine inches. However the years he spent playing goalkeeper on the soccer field paid off later in his basketball career, helping him develop good footwork and agility.

Soccer is pretty good for the hoops player...

Comment

Hakeem Olajuwon was a professional and collegiate basketball player, and is now retired. Olajuwon was born in Lagos, Nigeria, in January 1963, and lived there until he moved to Texas in 1980 to attend the University of Houston.
                Olajuwon grew up in Lagos playing mostly soccer but changed his focus to basketball at the age of 15 because of his height, then six feet, nine inches. However the years he spent playing goalkeeper on the soccer field paid off later in his basketball career, helping him develop good footwork and agility.

Soccer is pretty good for the hoops player...
                Watched him play bball. He was very good. But like most sports, times have changed as far as specialization and translation into modern era.

He transitioned into bball after soccer at the ripe age of 15. Not did both.

What worked many moons ago (in many sports) isnt cutting it today.

Comment

Jmho
                  You can break your fingers in goal also, often in fact. Same with phuking up your shoulders or ankles. My 2 GK have had all of that, along with concussions from kicks to head on the ground. You're simply arguing to not play another sport or bibvle wrap them for track, where knee and ankle injuries happen too.

Comment

https://www.forbes.com/video/6126910.../#778c223a282c

^^^ Kobe talking about growing soccer culture in the US and expanding MLS. It’s a shame he never got ownership/partnership in an MLS or NWSL franchise. He would have been an amazing promoter or ambassador for the sport here.

Comment

https://www.forbes.com/video/6126910.../#778c223a282c

^^^ Kobe talking about growing soccer culture in the US and expanding MLS. It’s a shame he never got ownership/partnership in an MLS or NWSL franchise. He would have been an amazing promoter or ambassador for the sport here.
                      He was also a big supporter of women's basketball , for obvious reasons of course, but I think having daughters opened his eyes to the opportunities (ornlack there if) for female athletes

Comment

He was also a big supporter of women's basketball , for obvious reasons of course, but I think having daughters opened his eyes to the opportunities (ornlack there if) for female athletes
                        He was an amazingly driven and competitive person. If he got it in his head that his daughter was going to become a transcendent player, I would not have bet against her getting a UConn scholarship, making the WNBA, him becoming a coach or owner or commissioner, etc. - especially if her drive matched his. However, I do think that his recent comments about WNBA players being NBA- capable were way off. I would have loved to here him try to support those beliefs with knowledgeable basketball people (ie., not someone with an agenda or a sjw).

He may not have been a likable person, but he was a force in whatever he chose to pursue - and had an amazing loyalty from kids.

Comment

All found in basketball.

Comment

All found in basketball.
                            I disagree. Not all; some. There are overlap techniques in many sports.

Comment

He was an amazingly driven and competitive person. If he got it in his head that his daughter was going to become a transcendent player, I would not have bet against her getting a UConn scholarship, making the WNBA, him becoming a coach or owner or commissioner, etc. - especially if her drive matched his. However, I do think that his recent comments about WNBA players being NBA- capable were way off. I would have loved to here him try to support those beliefs with knowledgeable basketball people (ie., not someone with an agenda or a sjw).

He may not have been a likable person, but he was a force in whatever he chose to pursue - and had an amazing loyalty from kids.
                              He said a few wnba that could cut it in nba. You realize that pick up games take place where some wnba play with and against nba right? Charity events and such.

I am originally from the philly area. Huge huge basketball community. Geno, Kobe, Chamberlain, Deladonne, Wright, McGraw, D Staley, and many more. I have been to some of these events. And I agree, there are a few.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X