Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Well no, because the schools she got offers from weren't schools she did clinics with.... The clinics are mostly a way for the coaches to supplement their salaries.
    Not disagreeing that coaches make $ although I thought it went to the program and not in their pockets. They also let the prospective athletes get a sense of what the coach's style is like. At least the ones that my kid went to. And there was always a Q&A session with the current players which can be interesting. But they were usually smaller and the coach would put them through a practice session. At one clinic, the team took the girls to lunch and it was clear that the team didn't all get along so well and that's valuable info if you care about team culture.

Comment

Not disagreeing that coaches make $ although I thought it went to the program and not in their pockets. They also let the prospective athletes get a sense of what the coach's style is like. At least the ones that my kid went to. And there was always a Q&A session with the current players which can be interesting. But they were usually smaller and the coach would put them through a practice session. At one clinic, the team took the girls to lunch and it was clear that the team didn't all get along so well and that's valuable info if you care about team culture.
      If you look at the websites, a lot of times the camps are run by "XYZ coach soccer camps". Even though the camps are on the school facilities, and use the school name and logo, they don't seem to be directly associated with the schools. Maybe the school gets a cut?

Comment

If fully funded, SHU gives 15 scholarships for 45 players .... each player getting an effective 33% discount, on average, for their costs. Seems like a no brainer for a school to have a large roster and give nominal amounts of money to lots of players who likely will rarely see the field (if ever), to help offset the costs of the starters and key reserves. Kids at these camps mostly fit that bill .... paying, practice cones. Enjoy the "free" $50k/year gear.

Comment

If fully funded, SHU gives 15 scholarships for 45 players .... each player getting an effective 33% discount, on average, for their costs. Seems like a no brainer for a school to have a large roster and give nominal amounts of money to lots of players who likely will rarely see the field (if ever), to help offset the costs of the starters and key reserves. Kids at these camps mostly fit that bill .... paying, practice cones. Enjoy the "free" $50k/year gear.
          It’s 14 scholarships in D1. And too much agenda driven ignorance on this topic. ID Clinics, like any club team, help if a player is good. If they show well, it increases the chance of a coach going out to see them with their club team.

Mr Angry Dad shouting about clinics being a waste of money is off base. Most likely his daughter wasn’t very good and didn’t get noticed. Had nothing to do with the clinic and everything to do with her ability.

Comment

I have coached at various prospect day clinics (different sport)

ASST coaches make the lions share of the profit- they don't get paid much of a salary so this is their gig ( they set it up and run it)
            the head coach is there and they invite the kids they actually are actively recruiting or have committed

the rest of the kids are fillers- they get the experience and they do get seen but if you haven't been personally invited its a crap shoot
            if you are a baller they will notice and probably start to look at you
            if you are a clone of the rest of the unwashed you are just part of the landscape

they are good for one thing though- it gives the player a clear look at their comp at a certain level

Comment

These clinics are worthwhile for the lower level schools. Going to the bigger schools is a waste of time. They have players locked in while the mid majors use these clinics wisely. After paying insurance and facility use and schools kick back there is a little left for the coaches

Comment

If you look at the websites, a lot of times the camps are run by "XYZ coach soccer camps". Even though the camps are on the school facilities, and use the school name and logo, they don't seem to be directly associated with the schools. Maybe the school gets a cut?
                Look even closer still you'll probably find the HC or AC has a hand in the "camp." Then it's pure profit to him, minus a small fee for using the facility and insurance. Others are run straight through the school. It all varies.

Comment

It’s 14 scholarships in D1. And too much agenda driven ignorance on this topic. ID Clinics, like any club team, help if a player is good. If they show well, it increases the chance of a coach going out to see them with their club team.

Mr Angry Dad shouting about clinics being a waste of money is off base. Most likely his daughter wasn’t very good and didn’t get noticed. Had nothing to do with the clinic and everything to do with her ability.
                  Again you are talking out your rear. The only thing correct above is the club team. Our United team trained together and played the best competition in the ECNL for a couple years. That is what prepped them and it was what increased their chance. In fact it increased it so much that I believe every kid is playing at the next level and D1. The coaches came because of the league, the team and the competition. I don’t know one parent that sent a kid to an ID clinic. We all knew they weren’t going to help and were nothing but a $$ grab.

So keep thinking your unicorn is special with ALL those mass emails to camps that every player in the state gets. Keep it up stupid parent!

AD

Comment

Hey, hey, no need to be a jerk! There is more than one way to be recruited. Sure a top team in a top league gets good looks. A top player at an ID clinic will too. What works for one doesn't necessarily work for everyone.

Comment

18 on the roster in Florida showcase. Play 40 minutes a game. Play 3 games. 120 minutes. $1500 for 3 flight, hotel, rental car, food and entertainment. Lots of coaches on sideline. A couple who had actually been contacted prior.

4 hour college specific ID camp. Seen by entire college team staff in multiple scrimmages and small-sided games over the course of hours. 40 field players. $150 plus gas to travel and food, $200 total.

We can do seven college ID camps for the cost of one showcase. Already told the coach we’re not bothering with Phoenix... better return with the ID camps.
                      Having been through this, I can tell you that you logic is definitely flawed.

My kid did several ID clinics and was told by the ones that actually made offers that they needed/wanted to see her play in club games before making a decision.

Coaches view ECNL and DA events as being a simulation of a D1 game as most kids in those games will be moving onto college soccer ranks.

Small sided games at ID clinics tend to be disjointed with lots of show boaters. Have your kid get stuck playing with a kid launching 30 yard prayers in a small sided game and you won't feel the same.

There's no "single path" for recruiting but the national events are well worth the investment.

PS. My kid was recruited by a Northeast school with their first look coming in AZ. Camp invite followed and even a visit by an assistant to a high school game. Never gets on the radar without having been to Phoenix.

Comment

Another path: my son got on some radars by sending a highlight tape. Coaches immediately called. They then went on to see him play at a showcase. Caveat: the highlight tape has to be impressive.

Comment

Having been through this, I can tell you that you logic is definitely flawed.

My kid did several ID clinics and was told by the ones that actually made offers that they needed/wanted to see her play in club games before making a decision.

Coaches view ECNL and DA events as being a simulation of a D1 game as most kids in those games will be moving onto college soccer ranks.

Small sided games at ID clinics tend to be disjointed with lots of show boaters. Have your kid get stuck playing with a kid launching 30 yard prayers in a small sided game and you won't feel the same.

There's no "single path" for recruiting but the national events are well worth the investment.

PS. My kid was recruited by a Northeast school with their first look coming in AZ. Camp invite followed and even a visit by an assistant to a high school game. Never gets on the radar without having been to Phoenix.
                          No one is saying that club teams don’t seal the deal. But a strong showing at an ID Clinic will encourage the coach to see your kid play at the next event. Don’t forget, they probably get hundreds of emails from players for events. How do they sort through the pile? A good club team definitely helps, but what if your club team is average? The clinic might get you on the radar. It isn’t much money to begin with. But again, it comes down to performance.

Comment

Dummy, I was ballparking it to keep the math simple so idiots like you could understand. I seriously doubt SHU has more than 10!

Comment

Another path: my son got on some radars by sending a highlight tape. Coaches immediately called. They then went on to see him play at a showcase. Caveat: the highlight tape has to be impressive.
                              Was the highlight tape VHS or Betamax? Kidding, it’s just funny to still hear “tape”. You’re correct, highlight videos are an important piece to the puzzle and will absolutely get some coaches interested in your kid initially. And yes, obviously it has to be a quality video.

Comment

Dummy, I was ballparking it to keep the math simple so idiots like you could understand. I seriously doubt SHU has more than 10!
                                Why so angry? Why do you care what others do? Do you get used to be wrong all the time or is that what makes you so angry? Does your wife blame you for your daughter’s lack of athleticism? Deep breath little man. The sun will come up in May.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X