Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    who's stupid, me for saying youre from CFC or you for putting down a kid for trying out at an ID session? Idiot!
    To be put another way, for a kid to cold call at an ID clinic, it is VERY RARE for them to get a look, let alone a 2nd look, let alone an offer. I would doubt a D1 finds more than 1 kid they would offer money to via this method, but I will give you two. Do the math .... if a school has 3 id clinics of 50-80 kids per clinic, then only 2 in 150-240 kids is getting anything and i would bet these would typically be lower end offers on the order of 10-20%. A parent can spend thousands of dollars on these things but they are not great ways for 99% of players to spend their money because the return for them will still be 0%. Also, it is not a great indicator of the talent level of the schools level of play since so many kids you play with and against at these are simply not the correct level (hence, no offer).

Comment

To be put another way, for a kid to cold call at an ID clinic, it is VERY RARE for them to get a look, let alone a 2nd look, let alone an offer. I would doubt a D1 finds more than 1 kid they would offer money to via this method, but I will give you two. Do the math .... if a school has 3 id clinics of 50-80 kids per clinic, then only 2 in 150-240 kids is getting anything and i would bet these would typically be lower end offers on the order of 10-20%. A parent can spend thousands of dollars on these things but they are not great ways for 99% of players to spend their money because the return for them will still be 0%. Also, it is not a great indicator of the talent level of the schools level of play since so many kids you play with and against at these are simply not the correct level (hence, no offer).
      Totally agree and this is the exact argument on why playing for small/third tier club and using ID clinics isn't a sound strategy.

Having been to many over the years, the Coaching staff quickly groups the kids they know together. Incoming recruits scrimmage together and players personally invited by the coach get dropped into similar small groups. Everyone else is just a fundraiser.

Even if a kid really shines at a clinic the next step is to have the coach watch a showcase or league match. Recruiting can't be based on performance at ID clinics because 75% of the players at any given ID clinic simply don't belong

Comment

ID Clinics are a great way to get on the radar provided that they aren’t big cattle calls. Will they offer solely from a clinic? Probably not, but it will likely get them to your club game at the next showcase. I’d be very interested in finding out the number of kids that show up at an ID Clinic and end up at the school. I’m sure it happens more than you think. Usually because a club coach recs that they go to it and follows up.

Comment

Let’s answer question #1. Yes, you’re stupid
          #2. No, just the parent that wasted money because everyone knows they are a money grab and as you can see in my prior post. MM only takes CFC kids (just look at his roster).

BTW: you make me feel good with how stupid you are.
          Don’t feel too good about yourself. They have 4 CFC kids coming in this year from that 02 team. Brought in 3-4 last year. That’s 7-8 by my count. Out of 40+, that means 30+ are not from CFC. Going to guess they won’t be bringing many from this year’s CFC group for 2021. If they’re getting the right CFC kids, they’ll be fine. But certainly seems like plenty of room for others. Hopefully that roster shrinks down soon.

Comment

I seen a few (10 or so) very decent players in the second session. Can anyone verify if the same in the first.

Comment

Interesting, both sides seem split on whether using ID clinics is worth it or not. Here is our experience in the recruiting process as a 2022 female player. Started attending ID clincs as a frosh last year. Got some good feedback from a couple of coaches before the rule change regarding no contact until June 15. Play in ECNL currently and have attended some showcases with many D1 coaches in attendance. Some of the coaches were contacted prior to playing. Still attending clinics and every school she has reached out to has asked her to attend their ID clinics, whether or not they have seen her play at a showcase or game.

We'll know on June 15 if we did it right and she targeted correctly. So far, I would say the ID clinics have been better than the showcases overall at generating interest. FWIW, we attended the UMASS ID clinic this weekend. 6 GK's and about 40+- field players. Players were from all over the East coast, NJ, CT, PA, NY with obvious overrepresentation from MA. It was very easy to see who played ECNL or DA, and I don't just mean from their jerseys or bags. Overall the coaching staff stated this was the strongest ID clinic they had every put on (in terms of player level) and I tend to agree. Last years clinics were mixed bags as to level of play. This year, DA and ECNL over-represented and the level of competition was light-years ahead. Having said that, it was still fairly easy to tell who was 2022, 2023, 0r 2021 and who stood out based on play.

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Let’s answer question #1. Yes, you’re stupid
                #2. No, just the parent that wasted money because everyone knows they are a money grab and as you can see in my prior post. MM only takes CFC kids (just look at his roster).

BTW: you make me feel good with how stupid you are.
                if thats what makes you feel better then you are a LOSER! Get a life helicopter dad. Im sure your kid hates you.

Comment

Totally agree and this is the exact argument on why playing for small/third tier club and using ID clinics isn't a sound strategy.

Having been to many over the years, the Coaching staff quickly groups the kids they know together. Incoming recruits scrimmage together and players personally invited by the coach get dropped into similar small groups. Everyone else is just a fundraiser.

Even if a kid really shines at a clinic the next step is to have the coach watch a showcase or league match. Recruiting can't be based on performance at ID clinics because 75% of the players at any given ID clinic simply don't belong
                  I know 4 kids that have gotten onto Sacred Heart level schools through these ID clinics from CFC branch teams and other mediocre clubs. they just played their hearts out at the clinics. Its not all waste for some. At the end of the day, it all comes down to the kid and how well he/she shows.

Comment

ID Clinics are a great way to get on the radar provided that they aren’t big cattle calls. Will they offer solely from a clinic? Probably not, but it will likely get them to your club game at the next showcase. I’d be very interested in finding out the number of kids that show up at an ID Clinic and end up at the school. I’m sure it happens more than you think. Usually because a club coach recs that they go to it and follows up.
                    Beware that statistic - many will say on the invite "Six or our 7 recruits last year were identified at our event." No they weren't - most were already identified long before (emails, seeing games, coach calls) and were CONFIRMED to be a top recruit at the event. A rare diamond in the rough might have been the 7th to the other 6 but as said above, that gets them on the radar for more evaluation.

Don't do cattle call events unless it's a top choice and it's the only way you can get in front of the coaching staff. Make sure to still do your homework ahead of time - write them, send video, have your coach make a call - so you can hopefully start off in the top group or at least be on their radar. Never cold call hoping to be discovered.

Comment

I know 4 kids that have gotten onto Sacred Heart level schools through these ID clinics from CFC branch teams and other mediocre clubs. they just played their hearts out at the clinics. Its not all waste for some. At the end of the day, it all comes down to the kid and how well he/she shows.
                      And how many are playing with good minutes? Are they getting good money to play? Most likely not. SHU or other local schools could have easily come to watch their regular season games, but didn't. That means they weren't that interested.

SHU and many other schools still use sports to help with school recruiting. Only the top 18 players on average will see decent playing time, let alone decent money. The rest might get a few token minutes and dollars, others none at all. But hey, they're now enrolled at the school and writing big checks. Mission accomplished for SHU.

Comment

Don’t feel too good about yourself. They have 4 CFC kids coming in this year from that 02 team. Brought in 3-4 last year. That’s 7-8 by my count. Out of 40+, that means 30+ are not from CFC. Going to guess they won’t be bringing many from this year’s CFC group for 2021. If they’re getting the right CFC kids, they’ll be fine. But certainly seems like plenty of room for others. Hopefully that roster shrinks down soon.
                        After this year's mess I think it will. Some will graduate out, some will drop off on their own or transfer. This was discussed earlier. The guy was vilified for trying to do the right thing, but he would have been vilified for making big cuts too.

Comment

Interesting, both sides seem split on whether using ID clinics is worth it or not. Here is our experience in the recruiting process as a 2022 female player. Started attending ID clincs as a frosh last year. Got some good feedback from a couple of coaches before the rule change regarding no contact until June 15. Play in ECNL currently and have attended some showcases with many D1 coaches in attendance. Some of the coaches were contacted prior to playing. Still attending clinics and every school she has reached out to has asked her to attend their ID clinics, whether or not they have seen her play at a showcase or game.

We'll know on June 15 if we did it right and she targeted correctly. So far, I would say the ID clinics have been better than the showcases overall at generating interest. FWIW, we attended the UMASS ID clinic this weekend. 6 GK's and about 40+- field players. Players were from all over the East coast, NJ, CT, PA, NY with obvious overrepresentation from MA. It was very easy to see who played ECNL or DA, and I don't just mean from their jerseys or bags. Overall the coaching staff stated this was the strongest ID clinic they had every put on (in terms of player level) and I tend to agree. Last years clinics were mixed bags as to level of play. This year, DA and ECNL over-represented and the level of competition was light-years ahead. Having said that, it was still fairly easy to tell who was 2022, 2023, 0r 2021 and who stood out based on play.

Just my 2 cents.
                          Everyone's situation is different but I agree with one of the prior posters about the majority of players not belonging. Tooling on kids from South Central or the C team from GPS isn't going to translate to being able to hang in a D1 game.

My kid is committed to a Mid Major program. All of her incoming class attended ID clinics at the school but in speaking to parents, the players were all identified at showcase events and then personally invited by the coach to attend a clinic. From there they were grouped together for the entire session. A healthy majority of the coach's time was spent watching this group throughout the entire day.

One comment on the level of play at ID clinics. A huge determining factor is what they are competing with on a given weekend. If its a weekend where high demand schools are holding competing clinic then numbers and talent will be light. Same holds true for schools that hold clinics on weekends where DA and ECNL have games....

Comment

SHU is smart running these ID clinics. Looking at the SHU roster I’m sure plenty of the players came from their ID clinics. Smaller schools need to find players that not everyone is recruiting and by running these clinics you know everyone in front of you is interested in their school

Comment

Fake news. Happens at the same rate that kids from Ginga, Sporting, AFC etc get recruited to Division 1 schools. Maybe one player every few years?

Comment

4 kids to sacred heart LEVEL schools .... 4 kids into multiple schools ... still a very low % and what awards were they given for purely athletic money? Not saying very strong players cant get noticed, just odds are not great and money likely not either.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X