Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Why would women coaches be the solution here? Any gender can shut that BS down by demanding they be good humans first.
    When youth teaches winning over development and adults are pushing that envelope, this is what happens sadly.

Comment

I didn't say that women coaches would be a total solution, but I question why you don't think more women coaches could be part of a solution. I think more women coaches along the way could benefit girls that clearly deal with a lot more than boys do, beyond soccer.

As for male coaches shutting down the BS, I don't see it happening. Many don't see it, ignore it, or make it worse.

Why would women coaches be the solution here? Any gender can shut that BS down by demanding they be good humans first.

Comment

I didn't say that women coaches would be a total solution, but I question why you don't think more women coaches could be part of a solution. I think more women coaches along the way could benefit girls that clearly deal with a lot more than boys do, beyond soccer.

As for male coaches shutting down the BS, I don't see it happening. Many don't see it, ignore it, or make it worse.
        Coaches are not parents. The parents of said girl should have shut that crap down.

I coach. I try to be a fair indivivual, portray a decent of morals and most Importantly, teach a game.
        I am not here to be a parent and from the majority of comments on this website, I don't know how to coach either. Do not ask us to step in. You don’t like it when another parent does. It just gives you more to complain about.

I am not a Kavanaugh fan, but you could not pay me enough to coach young ladies in this environment...we do need more females

Comment

Exhibit A and the need for more women coaches. Parents sometimes are the ones causing these issues with their child behind the scene. Fair of you to decide to let all of your other players pay for it.

Coaches are not parents. The parents of said girl should have shut that crap down.

I coach. I try to be a fair indivivual, portray a decent of morals and most Importantly, teach a game.
          I am not here to be a parent and from the majority of comments on this website, I don't know how to coach either. Do not ask us to step in. You don’t like it when another parent does. It just gives you more to complain about.

I am not a Kavanaugh fan, but you could not pay me enough to coach young ladies in this environment...we do need more females

Comment

Agree completely but I as a coach wouldn't have been able to hold my tongue either (in private 1-1 with the girl). In terms of the parents role, there would have been an uncomfortable conversation for her on the way home from that first or second game that I saw that going on if it were my daughter. And my ears would perk up if I heard anything on the field along those lines happening again. I'm betting the apple doesn't fall far from the tree though.

Comment

Agree completely but I as a coach wouldn't have been able to hold my tongue either (in private 1-1 with the girl). In terms of the parents role, there would have been an uncomfortable conversation for her on the way home from that first or second game that I saw that going on if it were my daughter. And my ears would perk up if I heard anything on the field along those lines happening again. I'm betting the apple doesn't fall far from the tree though.
              Keep in mind that a lot of the girl drama occurs OFF the field - on social media, group texts etc - out of the purview of coaches and parents. Girls who are stoic, as many tough athletes are, try not let it show. A coach who only sees kids a few hours a week likely won't pick up on signs. Men, as a gender, often aren't emotionally in tune. Sorry guys but it's true. Coaching girls is different. It would be great to have more (good) female coaches who can not only get a better handle on things but also that can serve as role models for their players.

Comment

Sss a win win

Comment

It can also result in kids dropping out. One of my kids who refs had a U11 travel game last weekend where one girl was making nasty comments to all her teammates, but really honed in on one girl and didn't let up. This girls wasn't even the best player either, just had an attitude. The victim eventually left the field crying and didn't come back. Coach said nothing. My son was appalled, which doesn't happen easily with boys. If that girl is getting away with that behavior at 10 years old, imagine what she'll be like at 13?
                  Sounds exactly like my daughter's college team. The girls teammates find her repulsive, but the coach loves her for some reason ..... they are starting to deal with it on their own.

Comment

You would be wise to not have one on ones with any young lady.
                    Leave it to the parents-we are coaches of soccer, nothing more and nothing less.

Comment

You would be wise to not have one on ones with any young lady.
                      Leave it to the parents-we are coaches of soccer, nothing more and nothing less.
                      If you can't address blatant bullying among your team, you have no business coaching youth soccer and I'm fairly certain that any organization that allows you to coach would agree.

Comment

If you can't address blatant bullying among your team, you have no business coaching youth soccer and I'm fairly certain that any organization that allows you to coach would agree.
                        Jesus, are you people soft. Enough with the bullying bs-it’s the new rallying cry of the softies.
                        There has never been an occasion of bullying on my squad, ever. And if one player steps out of
                        bounds, the entire team hears it, not a one on one privately.
                        Coaches need to be aware of all facets, but being a stand in parent is not one of them, especially in this day and age. It is not the 50’s.
                        Mainly because of your parental generation...

Comment

Jesus, are you people soft. Enough with the bullying bs-it’s the new rallying cry of the softies.
                          There has never been an occasion of bullying on my squad, ever. And if one player steps out of
                          Coaches need to be aware of all facets, but being a stand in parent is not one of them, especially in this day and age. It is not the 50’s.
                          Yeah, show up the girl that may be doing what shes doing because shes dealing with other problems at home or school in front of her teammates. That will make things better.

Comment

Hey coach, you've no idea what goes on off the field. Also, public humiliation can backfire badly depending the individual. You're not that great. No coach is.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2363219]Hey coach, you've no idea what goes on off the field. Also, public humiliation can backfire badly depending the individual. You're not that great. No coach is.[/QUO

I don’t care what goes on off the field-my job is too manage on the field.
                              Stop trying to add incidental responsiblities to my job, which is to coach soccer.
                              I am not trained, educated, or capable of handling off field crises-you want to me to perform open heart surgery as well?
                              You are the parent-stop looking for someone to do your job!!!
                              If your kid is a jerk, look in the mirror.

I don’t claim to be great-I claim to be a coach
                              Which does not automatically make me an as?hole...
                              Though you will make me out to be.

The team gets the no back talk speech-not the single player, unless it happens twice.
                              Satisfied?

Comment

Yeah, show up the girl that may be doing what shes doing because shes dealing with other problems at home or school in front of her teammates. That will make things better.
                                Keep those problems off my field for 2 hours. If they keep cropping up, she does not want to be there. Soccer should be an escape, not a place to create issues.
                                Save me from asking her to leave the squad...quietly

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X