Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    politics rarely account for zero pt. any way, politics, coach incompetence, wrong fit or something else, it's time to look elsewhere. she's only getting half the material. if the op asks his daughter she'll probably want to stay because girls tend to not want to leave friends. but dig deeper and chances are she isn't happy with what's going on.
    I agree that politics account for zero playing time but can, and do, account for discrepancies in playing time - ie, a better player getting less than another player due to some political factor.

My kids were lucky and never had any issues. I did see it happen to others, though. It happens a lot more in a high school setting vs club but club teams, even those that are "elite", are not immune to it.

Comment

Some clubs have mandatory policies for coaches to move down #15-#18 and bring on three new to develop.
      Her team only has about 15. She wants to stay but it is because they got to state cup finals. I am sick of driving and paying for these games in nc, ga etc and she plays 5 minutes in a 5-0 win

Comment

Her team only has about 15. She wants to stay but it is because they got to state cup finals. I am sick of driving and paying for these games in nc, ga etc and she plays 5 minutes in a 5-0 win
        Get out. Yes she may feel an emotional attachment to friends and the excitement of state cup. But does she cares about improving? Because she won't be at nearly the same pace as if she were getting decent pt. What does she want to get out of club soccer overall? I know someone mentioned she could get more if someone gets injured. Sure that can happen, but it might not and the coach could bring in more players at any time. It's no fun sitting on the bench "hoping" someone gets hurt. Also, if there's only 15 on the roster the coach is either completely incompetent or just a dik. There's no excuse with a roster that small to not be playing everyone with meaningful pt.

Most importantly - is she truly happy? Ask her to look back to the time before the state cup run. Was she really enjoying sitting on the bench? Probably not.

Comment

If that is the situation, she will almost certainly be cut, so the choice will be made for you. Dropping down a level isn't the worst thing in the world and it can boost a kid's confidence tremendously, which is a key element to being a good soccer player.

Comment

If that is the situation, she will almost certainly be cut, so the choice will be made for you. Dropping down a level isn't the worst thing in the world and it can boost a kid's confidence tremendously, which is a key element to being a good soccer player.
            If she's getting no PT with just 15 on the roster, the writing is on the wall. Question then becomes do you want to leave on your own terms with a good option already lined up, or go through the experience of never playing for another year and getting cut? One of mine got cut from a top team at one point - she had been getting decent PT but they brought in new players at tryouts. She was younger but it still hurt her greatly. Moving down a level, however, was the best thing that could have happened. She was a starter, had a great coach who really helped her confidence, worked her butt off and then made a different top team two years later. Don't let your kid flail in a bad situation.

Comment

If she's getting no PT with just 15 on the roster, the writing is on the wall. Question then becomes do you want to leave on your own terms with a good option already lined up, or go through the experience of never playing for another year and getting cut? One of mine got cut from a top team at one point - she had been getting decent PT but they brought in new players at tryouts. She was younger but it still hurt her greatly. Moving down a level, however, was the best thing that could have happened. She was a starter, had a great coach who really helped her confidence, worked her butt off and then made a different top team two years later. Don't let your kid flail in a bad situation.
              Great clubs and coaches don’t let players on their teams sit the bench almost 100 percent of the games.

Comment

Find a club and coach who have the philosophy of playing them all as equally as possible. Some positions get switched out more frequently and the sub rules don’t help, not no players should be only playing 5 minutes when the team is winning big unless it is a tournament where winning means everything. Prefer teams playing in showcases rather than tournaments.

Comment

Is she sitting that much during league play and/or in games that have already been decided??

It sounds like this coach values winning over development. There does come a time when they get a little older that the top players will play a heck of a lot more than the backups. What is most disconcerting in this case is that its only 15 players on the roster and u14 is stll too young to have a player sit that much. So you have to ask yourself, is your daughter number 15 in the coach's eyes?? How much playing time are the other backups getting relative to your daughter? What position does she play?? Is there a glut at that position? Can she work on playing a different position? Are the players ahead of her that much better?

My youngest plays on a u14 team too. She's actually a u13, but plays up because she is a backup goalie and can also play the field. We carry 18 on the roster and our coach finds the time to play every girl. At the minimum, I would say backups get about a quarter per game. More if we're playing in a league game or a lopsided game.

I think your first step should be to talk to the coach and if his/her answer doesn't satisfy you, then its time to move on. Coaches, like any other person, can have a blind spot when it comes to certain players. They may not see the value in what your daughter brings or they simpy don't think as highly of them as you may.

While I do see the value in training with better players, there needs to be an avenue for your daughter to be able to exercise or use that training. I would equate it to homework and test taking. Sure, she does all that homework (training), but if she never gets tested (playing in games) what good is she getting out of it?

Comment

Is she sitting that much during league play and/or in games that have already been decided??

It sounds like this coach values winning over development. There does come a time when they get a little older that the top players will play a heck of a lot more than the backups. What is most disconcerting in this case is that its only 15 players on the roster and u14 is stll too young to have a player sit that much. So you have to ask yourself, is your daughter number 15 in the coach's eyes?? How much playing time are the other backups getting relative to your daughter? What position does she play?? Is there a glut at that position? Can she work on playing a different position? Are the players ahead of her that much better?

My youngest plays on a u14 team too. She's actually a u13, but plays up because she is a backup goalie and can also play the field. We carry 18 on the roster and our coach finds the time to play every girl. At the minimum, I would say backups get about a quarter per game. More if we're playing in a league game or a lopsided game.

I think your first step should be to talk to the coach and if his/her answer doesn't satisfy you, then its time to move on. Coaches, like any other person, can have a blind spot when it comes to certain players. They may not see the value in what your daughter brings or they simpy don't think as highly of them as you may.

While I do see the value in training with better players, there needs to be an avenue for your daughter to be able to exercise or use that training. I would equate it to homework and test taking. Sure, she does all that homework (training), but if she never gets tested (playing in games) what good is she getting out of it?
                    Most intelligent answer seen here for a while... I am a coach myself (U16 girls) I play everyone in league games, and you are about right the fact that it would go from 1/4 to 100% of the game depending of position mostly in my case.

Games are also part of the player's development. You can't assess everything by just doing practices and training. The pressure and speed of play is rarely matching what you see in a real game.

Comment

With such a small roster simply "forgetting" about a player isn't an excuse. If there were a roster fo 22 ok then I can balancing PT can be an issue. Like you said it's probably because he cares about the wins and doesn't think the op's kid can add any value. His mind is made up. To the OP: find something better for your player.

Comment

Most intelligent answer seen here for a while... I am a coach myself (U16 girls) I play everyone in league games, and you are about right the fact that it would go from 1/4 to 100% of the game depending of position mostly in my case.

Games are also part of the player's development. You can't assess everything by just doing practices and training. The pressure and speed of play is rarely matching what you see in a real game.
                        This coach does not talk to the parents. Despite a two year per team rule this is the coach’s 4th season with the team. He is also a director and team went to finals at state cup. Coach can do as he pleases

Comment

You must be talking about TF

Comment

This coach does not talk to the parents. Despite a two year per team rule this is the coach’s 4th season with the team. He is also a director and team went to finals at state cup. Coach can do as he pleases
                            More reasons the OP should leave.

Comment

He is one of the best in central Florida. There is a reason he is a director at one of the premier girls clubs in central florida

Comment

He is one of the best in central Florida. There is a reason he is a director at one of the premier girls clubs in central florida
                                Because he wins? There's more to being a good coach than winning.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X